BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 03 RS with 25K on the clock listed for $2500. The bike looks clean from the one pic. Should I give it a serious look? I'm a boxer guy so I don't know anything about yhe K's. Thanks

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
321 Posts
This bike has a servo brake system that is prone to failure in old age. Very expensive to repair, many just bypass the abs (02-and on in this series). It also has an O-ring seal that is between the engine case and the clutch housing that fails and oils up the clutch, very expensive to repair. If your a mechanic your good. It is a heavy bike. Is this what your are looking for? All the rubber bits are old and crumbling, will need replacing, including brake lines and ignition wires. Probably the engine breather hose too. The list is long with the down side of things. With this in mind even 2500$ looks expensive to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't discount this bike and that's an excellent price. I just purchased an 03 RS with 30K on it for more than that. The bike I bought was meticulously maintained. It started, idled, rode, braked and hauled ass like it was new. If it's in great shape, I would imagine the regular things (steel brake line, fuel disconnect swap) may have already been done by the PO. I have no idea what a new BMW rides like, but I'm pretty damn happy with how the 03s ride :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I saw a 03 RS with 25K on the clock listed for $2500. The bike looks clean from the one pic. Should I give it a serious look? I'm a boxer guy so I don't know anything about yhe K's. Thanks
Expect the usual issues with an aging bike. I still have my '00 K12RS, and I just keep replacing whatever it needs from time to time. If you're used to boxers, the K's power is very seductive. It's heavier than boxers, but the weight is only a factor when navigating urban environments. Otherwise, it's not very noticeable. If you only ride in town with the homies, then this is a very poor choice. I often refer to mine as a coast to coast cruise missile and that's mostly what I use it for. I bought mine in 2001 from a guy in Los Angeles while I was still living in NJ. Flew out to LA, and rode the bike 3000 miles back home in 62.5 hours - the maiden voyage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 3 BMWs. One is a 01K12rs. My latest, a K16GTL was because my wife requested a better ride for long trips. Her complaint was achy knees because the footpads are a bit higher than some other bikes that are less sporty. The K16 is pretty nice but I figured it would be faster than the K12 and I'm not sure it is. I have not raced them but both are powerful quick machines. The K16 surprisingly handles better in tight slow turns. The K12 with steel lines, brakes amazingly. It is a solid engine and I would recommend it. Mine is barely broken in at 45,000, but when I was looking for mine 6 years ago, it wasn't hard to come across some with over 100,000 and I found one that had 309,000! Tires are what I replace most often followed by motor oil and tranny and rear end oil changes. Pretty sweet ride. I love mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up a 2004 K1200 RS with 14,000 miles on the clock for $4000.00. Previous owners kept good maintenance records and all the work was preformed by reputable dealers in the Denver area. In the process of upgrading components based on personal preference.The bike reminds me of a M3 I had - below 4K RPM kinda average, above 4K RPM a Bavarian rocket ship. Be prepared to drop some $$$$, these things are expensive toys. That said, in my opinion it a piece of rolling art, enjoy it but be prepared to keep it maintained.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Do to the isolation I haven’t gotten to look at the bike yet. A couple of things came to mind, first the servo brakes. I have an 05 1200 GS with the servo brakes. They finally malfunctioned last fall after 90k plus miles. The brakes aren’t a concern to me. The comments about the clutch getting oil soaked answer a question I had about this bike. The owner stated that the bike had a new clutch. That was alarming to me because I thought why a new clutch with such low mileage? Lastly, the weight isn’t a concern to me as I have owned a few heavy bikes over the years. I’m more concerned with mechanical bugaboos. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
231 Posts
The new clutch could be simply to do with the age of the bike. Not many, if any, K-RS riders beat the hell out of these bikes.

That o-ring can leak over time (if the oil level is too high), and not necessarily just mileage. That's your biggest concern/expense.

Get the details on why the clutch was replaced, then go from there. Good luck with it !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts