BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my front brake pads and when I was working on the right calipper one of the pistons popped up and got stuck so I could not push it back. Stupid mistake...

I then removed the calipper to work on the cylinder and i put it back but in the process I lost some brake fluid. I noted that the level in the handlebar master cylinder did not drop so most of the fluid seem to have come from the ABS reservoir. How do I access this and top up the brake fluid before i attempt to bleed the system?

I remember on my 2006 K1200S it was under the seat, but do not know where is it on 2006 K1200GT?

Any tips/suggestions on how to go about bleeding the system is much appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found it behind the left side faring :)

I topped it up. bled the calliper several times until no air could be seen in a clear hose. I kept on topping up the ABS reservoir and i did add a bit on the handlebar reservoir and all is back in business. I am watching my right calliper to see if i have any leaks on that cylinder that i took out and the banjo bolt as I reused the crash washers.

It actually was very easy to overhaul and check the callipers. I may do them completely this winter as i've seen uneven wear on the pads, although this could also be caused by dirty sliding pins.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
477 Posts
If you have to reuse banjo bolt crush washers and they are copper you can take some very fine sand paper and a flat surface to take off any uneven bits. But first take a piece of wire and make a loop hook the washer and heat it with a torch. This will anneal it making it soft again. Copper is just the opposite of steal in heat treating. Clean off any trash on the washer with a bit of clean solvent and go for it. (there must be 50 different sizes of copper washers on a Dutch Diesel marine engine, been there)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts