BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I couldn't be any newer to this forum if I wanted to but I need your feedback. I'm getting ready to trade in my 95 KLT for a brand new 06 Crystal Grey Metallic K1200GT with all the bells and whistles this Tuesday. The bike is stilling being prepped by the shop. I haven't put my money down yet though so this is where you come in. Should I go in head first, proceed with caution or just forget it? I also have a 2003 Ducati ST4s that I'll sell too if I go forward with this purchase. :confused:

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Newbie,
John

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
I love posts from nervous potential owners! We all need just that little bit of edging on to make an informed choice.
Buy the bloody bike. I just paid for my 06 Blue (wish it were silver) GT one hour ago. Pick it up tomorrow. I'll leave my 04 GT behind when I do, which won't be so hard now, as after 250kms on the new GT, there is a marked difference when returning to the old machine. I actually thought I had a flat front tyre due to the heavy handling!
Good luck with the purchase.

Ken.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eljeffe and baytown,

Thanks for the quick response. Shelling out 20,000 plus for a first year machine is enough to make anyone nervous but after reading eljeffe's reviews and the nugging from baytown I'm convinced it'll be a kick. I'll check back in with my first impressions next week.

Thanks again!

John

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
baytown said:
I just paid for my 06 Blue (wish it were silver) GT one hour ago. Pick it up tomorrow.
Ken.
Congratulations!

BTW, is speaking Russian a must for OZ air-force staff?:))

Удачи!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...it's done deal. :ricky I just did the math and emailed the dealership to tell them I'll take the bike. Can't pick it up until this weekend though because of a business trip. By-the-way, I'm in Portland, OR and the dealer is in Eugene. Great place, good people. I wasn't sure about the color. It's Crystal Grey Metallic and but under the shop lights it looks pearl white to me. But after viewing some of the other members bike photos with the same color it's growing on me.

Are you Crystal Grey Metallic riders happy with the color?

·
Registered
497 Posts
John06KGT said:
Are you Crystal Grey Metallic riders happy with the color?
That is a pretty good look. However, anyone in the know will tell you that Deep Blue Metallic is the fastest color. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
bnblazer said:
That is a pretty good look. However, anyone in the know will tell you that Deep Blue Metallic is the fastest color. ;)
Not according to the California Highway Patrol. They say the Crystal Grey Metallic is the fastest.

They also like to ping my CGM color a bit too often --- if you know what I mean. :(

That "silver" just seems to light up their wand for some reason.... One reminded me of an over-caffinated monkey behind his windshield on some hair-pin canyon curve (like 20 mph is speeding!). He couldn't get enough hands waving and enough jumping about in his front seat trying to ping me with his detector. I think he was looking to admonish me with a "too unsafe speed for the road condtions" award?

That CGM color may be too fast since they seem to have an APB on them. Hell, I even got pinged sitting in a parking lot! :p

For the OP, get a good radar detector if you get the CGM. You're gonna need it! <damhik!>

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
bnblazer said:
That's true!:))

Cograts to John!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
bnblazer said:

easyman05 said:
That's true!:))
You guys read my mind! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?! :D

Six weeks and 5000 miles later, and I have NO regrets! It's the best bike I've ever ridden/owned! It's still amazing me with each ride. Welcome to you few, the proud, the '06 GT owners! :yeah:

·
Registered
9 Posts
you'll be smiling

John06GT,

Went from a Harley a few years back then to the K1200LT now have the K1200GT. With out a doubt the best bike I have ever ridden. Will be up in your area toward the 3rd week in Sept. going on a 4000 to 5000 mile trip on the GT. Leaving from the Colorado Rockies to the Pacific N.W. Amazing motor bike. You'll be happy with your decision. Happy motoring. HAPPYDAVID

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have been very happy with the Crystal Grey Mettalic. I had originally placed an order for the charcoal but after some soul searching I decided to go with the CGM. I believe the lighter color shows off the angles of the design better and is less likely to show dirt.

I have not been "Pinged" yet but I had better be careful because I can't seem to get the bike to do less than 10 mph over the speed limit. I tell ya, this bike has a mind of its own!!

Don't base your opinion on any pictures you have seen of the CGM. The reality far outshines the photos.

Enjoy the new bike!!

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

·
Registered
69 Posts
new 06

4000 miles in 3 weeks...and still loving it.

go for it!

DAve

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
a mere 1000 miles in just over a month, and this is from a guy who sold his 02KRS with 8000 miles in 4 years!!!!
I wake up early, just to go for a 50 mile ride before work, b ecause it is so nice to be on this bike....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm a believer!

Ok…now thanks to all of your comments, not only am I convinced that the CGM is just fine, short of the police radar problem, I can’t wait until this weekend to pick it up so I’m going to close the deal tomorrow! I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve. It’s a hundred mile ride so I’ll get back to everyone with my first impression and a few photos too. Thanks again for all your comments and support. :ricky

1 - 17 of 17 Posts