BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Riding around town - 50 mph max - sometimes using cruise. Then with cruise off and when coming to a stop I notice engine doesn't return to normal 1000 rpm idle speed as quick. Continue riding now heading home and idle will not come back to 1000 rpm but "hangs" at 2000 rpm !??? mechanical? Electrical? Cruise issues? ?????
Very tricky to ride now :( Where to inspect cables? How to inspect throttle stop? I have never had the plastic off so where to start?

Where to find pages of manual regarding throttle adjust and troubleshoot?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Could be the airbox idle issue. Do a search here first. There is an idle related valve in the early airbox design. It was addressed with a new airbox and related hardware.

Try to check if yours was fixed under warranty (dealer should be able to do a search to see if your bike was fixed by VIN).

Also, have them check the software version, as it was implicated too.

This is a VERY well known issue with the early KGT.

If your bike has NOT had a new airbox installed and it is determined you need it, the parts costs about $400-600 and getting a new one on requires quite a fun day or two of wrenching....I did this myself as warranty had expired on mine. It was not fun. It did not completely fix the problem. It still happens when the bike gets real hot after a LONG ride in hot weather. Bike becomes almost unrideable.

Here's a look at the parts I'm talking about....

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info :( hope you are wrong but I'll check it out. After it sat o'night in garage ti seems to be fine. Didn't ride it , just started it up. I bought this from the orig owner who seemed to be diligent with dealer maint. So I would hope it got fixed - if that was an issue.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a friend with an '06 K12GT and had an idle issue. He replaced the airbox with the newer version and still had the issue. His independent mechanic flushed all of the fuel lines and it cleared the problem. make sure you have the software updated also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts