BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day fellas.
I'm looking like I will pick up a 2006 K1200S with only 6000kms on it for a good price in the next few days, here in Australia.
Does the 2006 still have the faulty brittle plastic fuel line connectors as was fitted to the previous K bikes that would spray high pressure fuel everywhere?
I can't remember what my 2006 GT had fitted but I hope it was the updated metal units.
Thanks for any advice with this and best wishes all.

Ken

·
Registered
459 Posts
I put near 90K miles on my K12S before trading it in for a new one.

Never had a fuel leak (had lots of other problem but not with fuel).

On my K12LT (02), yeah, started out from a motel one day, smelled gas and dumped the fuel out of my boot while callling for a tow :(

I never heard of a fuel leak/fitting problem on the K12S....mmmmm.... :confused:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ldbikin said:
I put near 90K miles on my K12S before trading it in for a new one.
Never had a fuel leak (had lots of other problem but not with fuel).
I never heard of a fuel leak/fitting problem on the K12S....mmmmm.... :confused:
Thanks for the info mate.
I've not heard of it either, but would be replacing the plastic fuel line connectors if they were still on the K12S as it's a risk I won't take after experiencing a failure on my 2005 RS.

Best wishes.

Ken

·
Registered
288 Posts
Funny you bring this up - I / we hit a pot hole in the road & DID NOT KNOW I WAS DUMPING GAS until a traffic light - it's something I wish on NO ONE - 5 gallons to nothing in the matter of a mile & had to push the bike home. Where or who has these metal connectors off the fuel tank !

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
budcarrigan said:
This is a problem with the old "brick" motors, not the slant 4.
Thanks for the update Bud. One less thing to worry about.

Cambridge, the connectors I'm talking about are the main feed line off the fuel pump to the injectors, not connectors at the fuel tank them self. (The infamous Quick Disconnect fittings.)

Best wishes mate.

Ken

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a buddy with a 06 K 12 R and the single connector broke two years ago. We pulled the tank off and were surprised at all the fuel sitting on top of the motor. He was running and smelled fuel, connector was split and spewing when running.

BeemerBoneyard has metal connectors with the tank side fitting included...SNUG is good on this part as you are screwing a metal fitting into an expensive plastic fuel pump plate!
They give you a tube of gas proof sealant. The K's only take ONE fitting compared to the R's needing two

Have replaced both of our K12S's original fittings and just did our newly acquired R 12S. Cheap insurance in the big picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts