BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Day (so long as I don't look at my check book register). My bank account is allot smaller that it was 4 hours ago but I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Graphite Gray K1200S. It's the loaded version, ABS, ESA, BC and I left feeling very pleased with the deal.

I'm sure I'll have some questions or opinions to share as soon as I get some time in the saddle. For now let me ask this of you all:

Mine came with Brigstone BT-014 tires. Anyone have any opinion on them compared to my preferred tire the Pilot Power?
If you have experience with the BT-014's on the K1200S, what tire pressures do you recommend?

Also, In an earlier post, I wondered why BMW opted not to install insulation in the inside of the faring on the 06 K12S as they did on the 05's. Anyone have any insight on this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Snap and congratulations!

No experience of the BT014s, but Bridgestone are a quality product so I doubt if you will be disappointed. As for tyre pressures I'd would just go with the factory recommended pressures to start with, and play with them if necessary.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's another question while your thinking about the others:
Is the clutch in the K1200S a "slipper clutch" or similar?
I couldn't find an exact answer anywhere in the book.

·
Registered
138 Posts
mark5lam said:
Here's another question while your thinking about the others:
Is the clutch in the K1200S a "slipper clutch" or similar?
I couldn't find an exact answer anywhere in the book.

I'm sure it's not.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well

I'd like your list of things both big and small; published or non-published that differ from the '05. BMW often makes minor changes here and there without fanfare until owners start to compare part numbers and other tidbits.

I've always been a Bridgestone guy. Loved the BT010/BT020 combo on my K-RS better than the Michelins I replaced. Loved the same combo on my R1150R after replacing Metzlers. I understand that Bridgestone is Pirelli and make/model differences are small between BT014 and Diablo (did I get that name right?).

My K-R came with Metzler Z6 and I have Sportec M1's on hand to replace those in the spring. My R now has Z4's on it. So I am falling away from Bridgestone and cannot promise more info and certainly not any K-S insights.

HTH

·
Registered
495 Posts
<<I understand that Bridgestone is Pirelli and make/model differences are small between BT014 and Diablo (did I get that name right?).>>

IIRC, it's Pirelli and Metzeler that are "together". In any event, the 014's are top shelf tires. I believe they are OEM on the GSX-R1000. Need I say more? However, I still swear by the Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
New S

Congratulations Mark!!! Get ready to have looooooots of fun on your new toy!
My S also came with the Bridegstones...and 3600 miles later, I'm extremely happy with them. I've kep the pressures at 36/42 , but now that the temps have dropped, i might experiment a little... by the way, we're going to be in San Diego January 6-12...can you recommend a place to maybe rent a KR for a couple of days?? Thanks...and again CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
New Club Member

Congrats Mark.. Join da club.

Never tried the Bridgstone BT-014's (my 06 came with the Powers), but the new Sport Rider has their annual tire test in it and the 14's rated virtually a dead heat with the Powers and in the top 3 street tires on the market. They gave them a very high score on traction. Testing was done on a GSX 1000..

Do post your opinions once you've gotten used to her..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gatobima said:
... by the way, we're going to be in San Diego January 6-12...can you recommend a place to maybe rent a KR for a couple of days??
Humm??? a K1200R rental? That's a tough one. I only know of one guy that rent's BMW motorcycles here in San Diego. I think he only has R1150R Roadsters. I would think that insurance for K1200 rentals would be too much.

A friend of mine has a K1200R which he loves and I've seen very few other K1200R's even on the road out here.

I'll ask around for ya but I wouldn't hold your breath on finding a K1200R for rent.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pirate said:
Congrats Mark.. Join da club. ... do post your opinions once you've gotten used to her..
Think I'll wait until I have something critical to say about the bike before I post too much. There must be something I don't like but I haven't found it yet.
I just picked it up yesterday for a 20 mile ride home and got it out today for only 35 more miles. That's all I've had time for at the moment. Hoping to get a full day of riding in tomorrow. It's supposed to be cloudy and in the 50's all day tomorrow but so long as it doesn't rain I planning to get at least 150 more miles on her.
So far, what little bit I've ridden this KS has been all good. Bike has performed exactly as expected. Powerful, smooth, rock solid, great handling, fun, fun, fun and comfortable too.
I guess I could say the gear box is a little clunky from 1 to 2'nd but it feels solid and doesn't bother me. The gear-box on my GS was a little clunky too but worked perfectly. I assume it will smooth out as I perfect my shifting and the transmission gets more miles on it. So far, that's the only negitive thing I can say and honestly, although it could be a little smoother, I think it's very good already.
This bike is just one bitchen, kick-ass, SPORT-touring, machine.
Now I'm gonna go figure out how I want to mount my GPS and remove those stupid warning stickers they put on the gas tank.
:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Careful on the warning stickers! I picked up a new GT (I wanted an S, but the wife told me to grow up! :mad: ) in Oct. I used a hair dryer to warm up the glue and peeled off the stickers. Only to find that the glue had ate the paint! I tried rubbing it out, but no luck. When, I had my break in service done, I asked about fixing it. BMW said "NO WAY" the stickers are meant to stay on and wouldn't cover it. Luckily my dealer replaced the part at his cost. But, he warned me that if it came with stickers on it he would have to leave them on. The part came from Germany where apparently they don't need lawyers to tell them what type of fuel to use! :( And didn't have the stickers on it. He told me some models the stickers are clear coated over.

ENJOY your new bike. I would love to have a Bumble Bee version. My dealer had the blue and white and plain blue. The wife told me I am to old for sport bikes anymore. But she isn't the boss of me! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Congratulations, Mark. I presume you also bought yours from Emory at North County BMW? Hope to see you around... Palomar, maybe? Enjoy your ride... it's like no other.

Charlie Wickliffe

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kneedragger said:
Congratulations, Mark. I presume you also bought yours from Emory at North County BMW? Hope to see you around... Palomar, maybe? Enjoy your ride... it's like no other.
Charlie Wickliffe
Thanks Charlie.
Actually I purchased it from Brattin Motors. I think Emery was a little disappointed but what are you gonna do? I've had a good business relationship with Brattin for a few years so I felt it only fair to give them first chance to make a deal with me and basically agree to what I was willing to pay.
I made the deal on Wednesday, picked it up on Friday and put only 55 miles on it between the ride home and a go-around the neighborhood on Saturday.
Today is the first chance I had to really throw it around a bit. Added another 160 miles to the odo today going through Ramona, Santa Isabel, Mt Palomar, etc... Still honing my riding style to this bike but I must say, It's feeling pretty damm good! So much more "rock solid" than my GS and you already know about the power, handling, comfort, etc, etc, etc.

It was a lovely day up at Palomar. Sunny, a little brisk, not many bikes or traffic to speak of. Really a great ride. Wish I could go back and do it again before it gets dark. Guess I'll have to wait for another day.

I did discover one problem with my bike. Some how the turn signals in the back got cross wired. Hit the right button, left rear blinks. Hit the left and the right rear blinks. Fronts are ok. At first, the guys that were riding behind me just thought I didn't know my left from my right. Glad it was discovered today. Only a matter of time before something like that can cause a wreck. I'll take it in and get it fixed tomorrow.

Still, I must agree, "It's like no other."
Hope to see you around Charlie.
Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
120 Posts
warning about tank warning sticker

Tried removing mine with hair dryer, every solvent that doesn't eat the paint, and a lot of fingernail work. Nothing works. I now have an ugly, half-worn. rounded, chipped sticker occupying half the area it started with but much uglier. If you figure out how to get the damn thing off please share the trick.

P.S. Fairing sticker (K1200S logo) comes off like a charm with a hair dryer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
logoguy said:
Tried removing mine with hair dryer, every solvent that doesn't eat the paint, and a lot of fingernail work. Nothing works. I now have an ugly, half-worn. rounded, chipped sticker occupying half the area it started with but much uglier. If you figure out how to get the damn thing off please share the trick.
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. The silver warning lable on the tank in reference to ABS can be a pain in ass to remove. I've actually gotten pretty good at removing stickers with a hair dryer and a plastic (bondo) scrapper to help get it started. Once the sticker is warm and you can get it started. Apply warm air to the glue side (in a sweeping pattern so as not to overheat the paint) while gently pulling the sticker off.
Sometimes its hard to get that particular sticker started (because it tends to break off in little parts) but if you can get it started enough to get ahold of it, gently work it side to side while keeping it warm as described before.
Works like a charm for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bridgestones

My '05 came with the Bridgstones. The rear is worn out at 6k miles. The front still looks almost new. I'm going to try another tire just to experiment. But no complaints at all.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just another congrats, take a bow, with the KS. Not much to add except maybe endorsement/confirmation. The BT104's come stock with the CBR1000RR. OUTSTANDING. The clunkiness of the gear box takes some getting used to, but it works. FWIW, this isn't a KS issue only. Rented an R1200RT in Europe last June and it was worse than the KS tranny. Kept thinking it was going to detonate, but never did. Except for this, and I often don't even notice it, the bike has exceeded all expectations. Next generation sporting ride imo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tires

Mine came with Metzelers, good grip but the rear only lasted 3500km.

I then switched to Bridgestone 014's based on my good experience with 010/020's on the K1200RS. Travelling the same roads & speeds as on the Metzelers, grip was not as good and the rear only lasted 3000km.

Another switch ... to Pilot Powers ... so far the rear has done 3000km and is looking good for another 2000km or so. Grip with the Pilots is better than the Metzelers and much better than the Bridgestones.

Have replaced front and rear with the same make every time. In each case the front looked like it would have done approx. double the distance of the rear, suggesting we could run a softer compound in front as on the K1200RS?

My owners manual recommends tire pressures 36 psi front and 42 rear which seems a little high to me. I've seen some tire manufacturer specs saying 32 psi front and 36 rear. I've run all the tires at 32-33 psi front and 36-37 rear, one-up 95% of the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts