BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike just started doing this. Just a complete cut out in second gear. As if im missing a tooth on my second gear. 100 percent reproducible.
My clutch went out 200 miles or so after. I just finished replacing my clutch. Waiting on an oil filter and fresh oil I ordered before I ride it. all seems good on the clutch end. Not sure if the clutch loss is related to the transmission issue.
Regardless, is BMW fixing this issue free of charge?! Even tho it is not a recall yet.. the problem seems very common amongst low mileage bikes. My bike only has 9k miles on it. Sure its a 2007. That shouldn't matter. The fact is, the bike has only road a short period.. I'm not the original owner but recieved the bike at 7k miles.
It was awesome before the failure. Love the bike. Never ridden in a harmful way. Just aggressively is all. No shifting without clutch or anything like that. Just goin fast. Thats what the bike is made for. Right?
My question is, ultimately, does BMW fix this problem and install a new transmission free of charge? I would have a hard time believing they don't. Considering lemon laws in California. The cost of the bike is by far less then the cost of the repair. Leaving then liable for a lawsuit I can only imagine. I love the bike however. And would just want it fixed. I live in riverside and have a bmw Motorrad right by me. But if long Beach is aware of the issue.. and already been thru it, I can take it to them. Either one. Does anyone know of this repair is free of charge?? Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
911 Posts
Second gear jump is the gear engagement dogs slipping out of engagement. Later it will happen in 5th gear. It is not unusal failure mode. Your totally out of luck getting BMW to help. The shifter dog guys link gears, they are relatively smaller that the gears and are the parts that slide to go to the next gear. They have flat surfaces. Good dogs (pardon the pun) have a taper of 3 degrees so they latch into the gear and hold on tighter the more power adminstered. The rebuild listed will cut your dogs and gears to do this. Your solutions are limited, install a K1300 transmission (one on ebay at the moment) or ship to a shop in Florida for modifications for about 3000$. Hate to say this but unless you want to go down a long road of work the bike is done. These people will rebuild your tranny, and it will be good. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, plenty of info here, and sorry it has to be on this nasty note. The three dots top right will give you access to advanced search and you can look up this subject.

·
Registered
520 Posts
See my thread on replacing the transmission.

Good luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Best of luck trying to get BMW to cough up for a 14 year old bike no matter how low the miles.

The gearbox on my K1200r Sport stuck in 6th...put a 1300 box in...no matter how good you thought the 1200 box is/was the 1300 is a world away, not only how it works, but the ratios are different, a completely different animal.

Just part of what a disgrace the original 1200 was.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can you describe in more detail about this “cut out”?

-slips out of 2nd into neutral during acceleration? / part throttle?
-no power despite throttle? Part throttle?
-lurching while on throttle?

Cut out could mean many things… fuel? Transmission? Drivetrain downstream from transmission?

My bike just started doing this. Just a complete cut out in second gear. As if im missing a tooth on my second gear. 100 percent reproducible.
My clutch went out 200 miles or so after. I just finished replacing my clutch. Waiting on an oil filter and fresh oil I ordered before I ride it. all seems good on the clutch end. Not sure if the clutch loss is related to the transmission issue.
Regardless, is BMW fixing this issue free of charge?! Even tho it is not a recall yet.. the problem seems very common amongst low mileage bikes. My bike only has 9k miles on it. Sure its a 2007. That shouldn't matter. The fact is, the bike has only road a short period.. I'm not the original owner but recieved the bike at 7k miles.
It was awesome before the failure. Love the bike. Never ridden in a harmful way. Just aggressively is all. No shifting without clutch or anything like that. Just goin fast. Thats what the bike is made for. Right?
My question is, ultimately, does BMW fix this problem and install a new transmission free of charge? I would have a hard time believing they don't. Considering lemon laws in California. The cost of the bike is by far less then the cost of the repair. Leaving then liable for a lawsuit I can only imagine. I love the bike however. And would just want it fixed. I live in riverside and have a bmw Motorrad right by me. But if long Beach is aware of the issue.. and already been thru it, I can take it to them. Either one. Does anyone know of this repair is free of charge?? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s a fairly common problem on the 1200 which they seem to have sorted on the 1300. It is apparently caused by the selectors skipping as they become worn and the fix is not cheap. However if you are mechanically minded and can remove the gear box then there is a gearbox repair shop in the states (rd-motorsports on Florida) that can completely rebuild the gearbox and selectors and send the whole unit back for your re-installation. Not sure how much but way cheaper than BMWs option of a new gearbox. BMW will not repair under any sort of warranty!

·
Premium Member
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
911 Posts
Insiders, well proven straight cut dog to gear engagement wears quickly and slips out of gear. It is classic failure and sorry but not cheap to fix.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here, let me gas-on about transmissions for way too long:

In the very broadest terms, your gears are normally all meshing together - all 6 of the pairs - all of the time. The system works by only allowing 1 pair of these to both be locked to their shafts at the same time. So, for example in 2nd gear, the 2 gears that comprise 2nd gear are locked to their shafts and in all the other 5 pairs, one or the other of those gears is spinning freely on its shaft, locked to nothing. This locking and unlock of particular pairs is accomplished by some of the gears sliding sideways on their shaft far enough to come into physical contact with an adjacent gear. The gears that slide back and forth on their shafts are being moved into these specific positions by “shift forks”, which are themselves being pushed back and forth by the “shift drum” which is what you’re actuating with your foot through some manner of ratcheting mechanism when you operate the shifter. Anyhow, the sides of these sliding gears have what look like blocks - several of them, maybe 4 - standing out maybe 6-8mm that come into side contact with the adjoining gear where the blocks fit into recesses in the side face of that gear, then they begin to drive that gear. That gear was free spinning a second ago, but now it’s mated through this side contact to a sliding gear that is always locked to its shaft (via splines that let it slide but still make it rotate with the shaft) and it begins to drive its paired gear which is locked on the other shaft. Slicko. Your problem is likely that the blocks associated with your 2nd gear have worn and actually rounded a bit. Instead of sliding into the recesses in that side gear and beginning to drive it, they’re levering or ramping or torque thrusting (lots of terms for this effect) themselves out of the recesses and pushing back against the shift fork that’s trying to force them into position. The block slides across the flat surface between the recesses, and the block gets pushed-in for another attempt. Obviously, this happens many times per second and the effect can be anything from a grip and release feeling and not much motion with a “wee-ooo-wee-ooo-wee-ooo” sound like somebody fanning the clutch reeeeeally fast, to a bunch of expensive-sounding crunches. As Beech said, the cure is to either replace the affected gears (and maybe the shift fork because this can bend them and overheat them really fast) OR have somebody that really knows what he’s doing reshape the blocks on the sliding gears to rebuild the profile of their edges. To prevent “ramping” like described, these blocks are “undercut” a little bit meaning they’re not formed perfectly square but will be slightly narrower at the base to actually pull the two gears together more tightly as torque is applied, rather than them thrusting away from each other.

Yes, your clutch problem could be related to this.
No, BMW is not going to pay for it.

When this happened to me as a kid on my ‘78 YZ-125, my solution was to skip second gear. Hopefully, you’re way smarter than me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts