BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm told by my dealer that the 2007 GT will not have a center stand. Is this true? Reading the posts in this forum, looks like the 2006 GT's came w/ center stands. Can anyone add clarity to this? Thanks

·
The Gov
660 Posts
My only guess is they were trying to explain that the front wheel doesn't come off the ground with the GT and it does require a front paddock stand, like a Pitbull to remove the front wheel or change a tire.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
philspace said:
My only guess is they were trying to explain that the front wheel doesn't come off the ground with the GT and it does require a front paddock stand, like a Pitbull to remove the front wheel or change a tire.
With my LT, I found that the front axle made for the perfect jack stand under the front of the motor when changing the front tire on the road. In my garage I simply used a small scissor jack. I'm wondering if the GT's front axle will work in the same manner. *crossed fingers*

·
The Gov
660 Posts
messenger13 said:
With my LT, I found that the front axle made for the perfect jack stand under the front of the motor when changing the front tire on the road. In my garage I simply used a small scissor jack. I'm wondering if the GT's front axle will work in the same manner. *crossed fingers*
I'm guessing it would be a little long. Also, to me, the balance point on the GT is totally different. The exhaust manifolds are also running under the engine on either side of the drain plug so you would probably need to be careful with a scissor jack.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
MassGT said:
Not sure but Pit Bull states that you need both the front and back stand to change the front tire.

http://www.pit-bull.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_177&products_id=131
Yup, I read that too.

I have both, but for a different reason. My gut feeling is that it should work OK with the center stand, but I haven't tried it that way since I was alone and didn't want to take the chance in case I bolo'ed it.

My only surprise with the Pit Bull stand is that you need to remove the pinch bolt first. The stand comes in contact where the pinch bolt is and up behind near the ABS sensor. You do need to be careful when you are placing it to not crimp the cable coming from the sensor.

All accounts of the BMW stand so far is that it sucks, and it to has a warning in the manual, but I think it is involving the pin going through the triangular area and hitting the ABS sensor or ring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have both of the Pit Bull stands and they work great together. The problem when using the center stand and the front stand from Pit Bull is that the front Pit Bull stand moves the bike foward as it lifts the front wheel. If this happens when using the center stand the bike will come off the center stand and fall to the ground and go boom(ouch). Now if you are real carefull and make sure the front stand wheels move back and don't allow the jack to move the bike foward you maybe okay...but I don't have the balls to try it. The rear stand is great and well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
billwilsonnow said:
I have both of the Pit Bull stands and they work great together. The problem when using the center stand and the front stand from Pit Bull is that the front Pit Bull stand moves the bike foward as it lifts the front wheel. If this happens when using the center stand the bike will come off the center stand and fall to the ground and go boom(ouch). Now if you are real carefull and make sure the front stand wheels move back and don't allow the jack to move the bike foward you maybe okay...but I don't have the balls to try it. The rear stand is great and well worth the money.
Ummm.. I got only the front Pit Bull stand and have wondered about this "Pulling forward and maybe off the centerstand" accident in the making.

However, looking at the rear stand, the lever drops forward as well which means it must push the bike forward as well. Same scenario with the bike rolling forward off the center stand? I noticed in all their rear-stand photos on the Pit Bull site, the lifting lever goes down towards the rear of the bike. The BMW is the only one that seems to lever forward which means it must push forward on the bike the same as the front stand?

I thought of trying to secure the front wheel to the center stand with a nylon cinch strap and ignoring their rear wheel stand altogether. But it looks like the lower shroud and radiator will not let that happen (no direct line from the bike's center stand crosspiece to the front wheel's mid-section). Maybe some steel monkey-rig to secure the center stand from folding against the shock mount or rear wheel somehow? Tie the rear wheel down to something to keep it from rolling forward? If either could be done, then there would be no need for the rear stand at all since it is front-end heavy as is.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Life's to short and painting fixing her up if she falls over costs much more than the rear stand.

The rear stand has wheels like the front one and will allow things to move as need be without the bike falling over.

I would only consider a test without it if I had to big sumbeyotchs standing on either side holding the bike just in case, and you might still bugger up the forks a tad depending on what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
philspace said:
Life's to short and painting fixing her up if she falls over costs much more than the rear stand.

The rear stand has wheels like the front one and will allow things to move as need be without the bike falling over.
Dang! :(

Looks like I'm back to Cycle Gear for another $180 rear stand.

These home-done tire changes are getting '$pen$ive. Already got Marc Parnes $140 balancer so I guess I'm buried into doing it myself already. I have a old black metal bead breaker (the C-shaped one with the nut in the middle), but it will not open wide enough for the rear tire. It fit the RT barely, but it was a 160 width. No way on the 180.

If BMW does leave off the center stand on future models - maybe to sell their own stand(??) - wonder how much they'll charge for those two items? The two Pits are around $330.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
GMack,

We have a Coates 220 and it's bead breaker sucks as well. You can pick up a cheap one that works like a champ from JC Whitney. It can handle about anything and is $68.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
philspace said:
You can pick up a cheap one that works like a champ from JC Whitney. It can handle about anything and is $68.

I ordered this from Aerostitch ($63) a few days ago. Might work, but doesn't look anything like the ruggednesss of the J.C. Whitney one.

I did get an e-mail from George at Pit Bull. He said the front stand alone can be used, but just make sure the bike remains stationary and allow the Pit Bull stand's wheels to roll under the bike's front wheel - not visa versa or boom!

I think I prefer the two-wheel stand lift method as a preventative measure against banging up the stuff on the side of the bike. Looks a bit wider in handling the load than the centerstand alone with their front lift.

That or figure out someway to lock the centerstand from folding. I'm thinking maybe a V-belt spreader with the turnbuckle thing in the middle (centerstand crosspiece to shock mount??). I need to spend some time crawling around under there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts