BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 2 yrs ago. 65000 klms .Have a continuing issue with erratic idle. Have replaced the throttle position sensor.. the issue sent away for awhile but now has come back after 6 months... Just have to keep resetting the throttles when it starts to play up... Can any one help? Please.
Craig

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
420 Posts
There was an issue with the airbox after the engine gets hot. Have you checked to see if it has been replaced?

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
438 Posts
If you use the search function in the menu, upper right 3 dots, you will find numerous discussions on this issue and related ones. Here is the document dealing with the air box recall years back. The GT versions were especially nasty.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou... I will investigate that further... Not sure if the latest upgrades were installed.
Craig

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 07 used to do this, and one day while at my local BMW shop another customer told me of a trick he learned (this sounds so much like clickbait! LOL). When the idle starts acting up, pull over and shut off the bike. Give it a couple of minutes to make sure all systems are off. Then turn the ignition on, wait until the boot sequence is done, the fully open and close the throttle 5 times. Then shut off the bike. Wait a couple of minutes, then fire it up and it should be all better.

This would fix the issue immediately, and the rest of the ride was fine. Sometimes it would come back a few weeks later, but the throttle thing made it better. Then eventually the idle just stopped doing this. I haven't had the issue in years (and until I saw this post I had forgotten all about it). Perhaps my dealer fixed it under the recall and I just didn't pay attention to it. But either way, the quick fix did the trick for me as a field repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts