BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had my 2007 K12GT in for the fuel pump and wheel flange recall and the mechanic noted that the bearing in my final drive was in a state of near failure, demonstrated as feeling a roughness with your hand on the housing as the wheel is rotated. I felt it, kinda.

I have rebuilt/re-shimmed R11xx series final drives so am familiar with the general workflow, but the RepROM doesn't really make it clear how easy the job would be to accomplish without special tools. I have been unable to find any posts or YouTube videos detailing the procedure, can this be done without having to fabricate special tools? I do have the usual generic gear/bearing pullers and such. I'm guessing the failing bearing is the crown bearing, or 'grooved ball bearing' as BMW calls it. There is also a 'needle sleeve' bearing on the end of the shaft, do these have a high failure rate as well?

I'd prefer to do it myself but if it's not practical to accomplish without special tools then I guess I can break down and pay the dealer $600, it's just that that is against my religion, plus I usually do a better job.

Any tips or links would be appreciated.

Thanks -

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, didn't find that one, it gives a pretty good overview. Looks like the tools shouldn't be that hard to make up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts