BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this bike over 2 months and some times I notice a noise on the right side that sounds like some thing is not lubriceted.left side sounds fine.It has about 17k miles north dallas bmw says 12k valves were done owner had died no way too verify.Any suggestions Thanks Jack

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Clutch is on the right:dunno:
If the dealer says the valves were done, no idea why you'd even want the owners confirmation on it, even if he weren't dead. Why would the dealer lie about it, if anything they would lie and say it wasn't done so they could try selling the work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Search is your friend.....cam chain....tensioner......check for the updates.....!!! Important stuff to look at!

kbikeinbc
07 Kgt

·
Registered
357 Posts
If the noise changes when you pull in the clutch it is probably the clutch.
If the noise sounds like rocks bouncing around in there it's probably the above mentioned tensioner.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to a dealer and said they would not put a new style tensioner on a chain that had 17 k on it.They would want to replace everything.Another dealer recommended replacing the guard and tensioner.The guard is the only recall that has not been performed so they want to replace just the guard.I am at least going to get the guard replaced.When does the chain need to be replaced per BMW.Thanks Jack

·
Registered
430 Posts
irontail said:
Talked to a dealer and said they would not put a new style tensioner on a chain that had 17 k on it.They would want to replace everything.Another dealer recommended replacing the guard and tensioner.The guard is the only recall that has not been performed so they want to replace just the guard.I am at least going to get the guard replaced.When does the chain need to be replaced per BMW.Thanks Jack
get the jump gaurd ,do the chain at 36-k service at least thats what i was told..

·
Registered
179 Posts
irontail said:
BMW doesn't have a recommended replacement interval for the cam chain but when they came out with an updated tensioner you were supposed to change the gears and chain if it had many miles at all. So I think your dealers advice is correct. If you don't do it now the box of rocks will just keep getting louder but it might not blow for quite a while. I am not sure how well the jump guard works (has anybody found out yet?). Installing a manual tensioner might be an option but If it was mine I would replace cam chain, gears, tensioner and add the jump guard now and be done with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 07 BMW K1200GT cam chain upgrade question

I bought this bike 10 months ago. I discovered this 07 needed the chain jump guard install and the cam oilier tensioner replaces the original flat cover tensioner. This bike has 33,000 miles. I notice a difference before and after the replacement. If the bike was sitting 2 weeks and start up would be a 5 second noise. Now after 2 weeks you would here a 1 second noise. After this has been ran, don,t really hear a noise. I own a 04 GT. Glad I kept it. The 07 handles much better than the 04. I am a BMW nut. I am a little disappointed about the new style k12's and k13's about the cam chain noise issues and the clutch take off noise. Depending how you take off will not alway create a noise. Looking at the engine parts view of this motor, I understand the noise. I have read many say to replace the cam chain at 36,000 miles. Please advise. I can understand without these upgrades will cause a failure. I also was looking for this type second design bmw k1200gt the mileage riders have achieved? The brick motor is one of the best made. Another insite about the clutch disc? Parts offers only the clutch package. Very expensive. These Germans are top knotch builders. My clutch is ok. I am just plaining future cost? Hope any mechanical technicians can advise my concern. THANK YOU. Donald.

·
Registered
430 Posts
change the chain at 36 k keep the brake fluid clean, drive line changed regularly serviced regularly all upgrade's and tensioners and ride the shit out of it...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yo, Donald

You should ride to the EMO (European Motorcycle Owners of Nevada) breakfast on Sunday mornings. We meet at "The New Day Cafe" at Rainbow & Robindale at 7:00. It's a bit of a ride for you but there's usually 20-30 guys there & they're mostly a great bunch to hang with.

I've got an '07 KGT that I bought w/23k on the clock in November '11, farkled the shit out of it, did the updated tensioner and jump-guard myself & it's got 39k on it now. I just ordered a new clutch and will take it to LVBMW for the clutch, a 36k service and more tires next week. I might be able to help you find some solid answers and advice...

Anyway, a bunch of us usually go for a ride to Blue Diamond or "anywhere" after breakfast, so it's a good way to spend Sunday morning... The club also does a lot of local, regional and national rides so grab your heated gear, man!

Hope to see you there & welcome to the K-club! The KGT is the best sport-touring motorcycle ever made!

Cheers,
Vance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts