BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help...here are the symptoms and please note I am a complete novice when it comes to mechanics - it also wouldn't surprise me if there's some noddy problem I've overlooked...
Bought the bike last year and the time from turning the key to the start of the ignition sequence became longer and also erratic in the length of time it took to kick in.
Bike then failed to start at all on one occasion so charged it up off the bike and it started OK.
Bought a BMW trickle charger and generally started ok but still had the issue with the erratic length of time for the ignition sequence to start up.

Bike then again failed to start and no ignition sequence at all.
Bought a brand new replacement battery and bike still totally lifeless.
Turn the key and absolutely nothing happens.

Love the bike it's a fantastic piece of kit - just wish I could get it to start.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you have replaced the battery and when turning the key nothing happens, you may be experiencing what my '06 did to me. My was getting to the point where I had to turn the bars to get it to start. I turned the key on and would wiggle the bars until the dash lit up, then start it. There's a little wire that runs to a little plug on the ignition switch that broke. Once the Shreveport BMW tech located the wire, he spliced in an extra length and wrapped it really good so it wouldn't flex and twist as much and break.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have replaced the battery and when turning the key nothing happens, you may be experiencing what my '06 did to me. My was getting to the point where I had to turn the bars to get it to start. I turned the key on and would wiggle the bars until the dash lit up, then start it. There's a little wire that runs to a little plug on the ignition switch that broke. Once the Shreveport BMW tech located the wire, he spliced in an extra length and wrapped it really good so it wouldn't flex and twist as much and break.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried moving the bars into different positions but to no avail...might time to visit a dealer

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I suspect that the antenna wire is broken in the ignition. If it is broken, then the K1200GT will not start. There was a recall on the antenna wire problem a long time ago.

To start your K1200GT, your K1200GT and its key need two things: (1) The correct key cut (groove) in the key itself, and (2) a radio "handshake" between a computer chip in the key and your K1200GT. If the key cut is worn or incorrect, then the key won't turn (duh!). If the signal between the K1200GT and the anti-theft chip in the key does not work, then the engine will not start.

See this old thread, especially my comments in post #10:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12-1300gt-next-gen/24377-lost-my-keys.html#post179705

I hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts