BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently purchased a 2007 BMW K1200S with 4,000 miles on the clock. It has basically zero cosmetic or known mechanical deficiencies.
I'm currently stationed in Italy, so I have yet to have even had the chance to swing a leg over this beauty yet.
Any recommendations, tips, or tricks that might make my bike ownership experience more pleasant? Any issues that I may be able to prematurely avoid? I'm about to order a mechanical cam chain tensioner. Does anyone have any experience with those?
Current modifications I'm aware of consist of a power commander and a laser exhaust.
I'm curious what the power commander has been set to do specifically, as the prior owner, being the 2nd, has no clue how the 1st owner set it to perform. Is there a way to check the current settings? I've never messed with power commanders.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The ‘07 has the improved (non-servo) ABS and the module is repairable if it should fail. I was told once to flush your brake fluid yearly to prevent premature abs pump failure. Keep an eye on hard acceleration in 2nd gear as the gear dogs some times round over causing it to slip out under hard accel. If this occurs, either replace the trans with one from a k13s or send it to a race shop like R&D motor sports in Clearwater, FL (they did mine) to have the dogs undercut 5 degrees. It’s bulletproof after that. Make sure the timing chain guard is installed (was done for free under a recall). The timing chain tensioner with the oil reservoir is a huge improvement over the older one but your bike might already have it. Otherwise, they’re great bikes. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend a mechanical chain tensioner. Those 3 seconds of clattering give the bike character. I installed a mechanical chain tensioner, but I think it caused vibrations at speed, and it’s not BMW OEM so I don’t trust it. You could spend the money for the aftermarket oiler one

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
434 Posts
If you don't want to hear the clatter at startup if the bike has been sitting a long time, hit the starter button a few times before full start. It will tighten the chain.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
525 Posts
When you take delivery please come back to this thread and fill us in on your new bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts