BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard any rumours about when the 2007 K1200S will be available in Australia?Looks like production will start in August in Germany.The new colours look great
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
KS for Baytown

I did ask about that bike when I was at a "Christmas in July" dinner function, as I had said I would.

A members little girl came up then and spoke to them (both owners with wives) They were mortified that people bring up children who feel free to walk up and speak as they wish. (she asked very nicely if her daddy could have a ride on the new S tomorrow) They were rude to the child and carried on about it for some time.

Not only did I not pursue the possible sale, I will take my bike elsewhere for a service

As I put on my profile somewhere "kids and dogs like me" Feelings mutual.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What about options?

Will xenon lights be an option for Australia?? If so what production month?
Does anyone know what the options will be for the Autralian K1200S...and since what month those options will be available? We love the new blue/white/black combo....can't wait!

·
Registered
636 Posts
G'day Christian.
There doesn't seem to be much information available re Australian specs yet on the 07 build KS. If I had the option, I would get the upgraded headlight without fail (and cruise if it ever came out!). Large mobs of Kangaroo in my area, intent on ruining my motorcycles!
Most of the news I get is from the European / US based members of this list. Either the Aussie dealer is playing Poker faced, or we get lots of news re the new machines via this list, than he does from BMW Motorad Australia.

PAP, G'day mate.
Thats the only way to treat any business that upsets you, vote with your feet. Hope this finds you well mate.

Best wishes all.

Ken.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
R1200GS Brakes

One thing mentioned by the local Melbourne dealer was that the new (upgraded) R1200GS is that it will not have the servo brakes!
Have gotten used to my servo brakes on my 1200GS,wonder if their will be any major changes to the K1200S when it comes out?
Do not think that the new headlights will be available.
cheers all Andrew

·
Registered
636 Posts
G'day Andrew.
I love the servo brakes on my GT. I did an Advance Rider course via the Airforce (Top Rider, and highly recommended, especially when paid for by the Aussie Tax Payer [Thanks everyone!!!] ) and repetitively out braked virtually all other participants. Not my skill, but the bike saving my arse. (And making me look good!)
I'm holding off on my purchase of the K1200S till the new models start arriving and I know I get the new braking system.
I'm actually speaking with my dealer in Townsville (highly recommended again and tell Marius I sent you!) tomorrow re organising deposit and trade on the 2007 bike.
Done know what I've done right, but even the wife hasn't said no to my upgrade!
Speaking of which, is there any female members of this list in Australia? Don't remember ever seeing a post from a lady.
I'm still not sure on the K1200S, vs. K1200GT, but the S has grown on me more than the GT. The GT is more of my type of machine in execution though.
Glad you are happy with the GS. I came VERY close to purchasing one 6 months ago, but again, theory vs. practice means a dedicated road machine for me. (130kms per day, highway, and no time to go off road. Longwayrounditis!)
My understanding of the changes for the early 2007 run of K1200S is:
New colours
New non servo assist Anti lock brakes
? Some discussion re bench seats???
??? New Fuel map??? Hope!!!
The air pressure sensor in the tyres
Unfortunately, I've seen no comments on HID lights or a new horns to replace the dangerous embarrassment fitted OEM (are you reading this BMW???)

Best wishes mate, and again, great to see some movement on the Aussie list.

Ken.

·
Registered
107 Posts
baytown said:
G'day Andrew.
Unfortunately, I've seen no comments on HID lights or a new horns to replace the dangerous embarrassment fitted OEM (are you reading this BMW???)
Ken.
On bmwk1200s.com, they did a comparison of after market lights vs OEM on the K1200S, the verdict - they are all equalled ! Go figure. I guess if you want any better, HID is the way to go. Re the horn, I rarely use it. I let the pipe do the talking :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
G'day Tim.
Have you had any of the issues, i.e erratic throttle and fueling issues that the US boys are all complaining of?

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

·
Registered
107 Posts
To tell you the truth, I have never noticed it. The only time when the rpm surged was when I overtightened the throttle adjustment to make it easier to blip the throttle. After that when ever I stop or move the bike backwards the rpm surged due to the the cable being stretched further! So I adjusted the cable back a bit. Otherwise no fuel surge problem. Only the occasional back fires from the stock can at lower gears when I slow down, which I do not mind as it make drivers aware of my presence in traffic.
Mine is an 06 MY built in Sep 05, done 12,000km and I have not upgraded to v6 s/w. I always use 98RON fuel. Is there any problem with yours? If not, then I suspect it's a bad patch in the US, or their environment or fuel quality that caused the fuel problem?

·
Registered
636 Posts
K1200R demo relevant to K1200S (Demo unavailable)

After 160kms on a shop demo bike from Townsville BMW.
I took the K1200R to ride as they cannot get a K1200S demo bike. I'm advised the ergonomics are the same.
What a rocket. More power than I would ever need. Pulls like a 14 year old school boy!
What a pathetic seat. (Sat on softer bricks and slid around (fore and aft) a bit, but I suppose that’s good on a sport / race bike).
Handles like it's on rails. Steering with new front end was no issues, and felt natural. Quite lite compared to my 04 GT.
Feels very small, lite and twitchy compared to my GT.
I had no issues with the fuel map, i.e. surging, follow on. Started first pop, and RAN!
I couldn't work out the electronic suspension adjustment. (I'm sure it was just my unfamiliarity with the bike) Suspension was firm , but comfortable.
Brakes excellent! (Usual modern BM stuff)
Fitted with aftermarket exhaust, so nice little burble on deceleration.
Ergonomics, my 43 year old multiple operation scared knees coped well with two 45 minute runs down the highway. No noticeable weight on my wrists.
Looks like crap in naked form (bike, not me, --- well, --- actually!)
I bloody froze coming in to work today. 8 degrees ambient, 120km wind chill (wish I had cruise for my own license sake) and Airflow jacket make for a very unhappy person who lives in the tropics!
Heated handgrips were great at least.
All in all, if the ergos are the same for the K1200 S, then I'm looking forward to my new bike.

Best wishes all.

Ken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts