BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first bike when I was 15yo was a '76 Suzuki GT250 Ram Air . . I was sooo cool! Later a '81 RM125 that I raced once and missed the start of my 2nd heat cuz I was peein' :wtf: It was a sloppy, muddy track so no real big deal but I did join the race in progress just for the experience. The 1st 2 were because the deals came along and the last one, a '82 GS1100EZ, was because I was now a Suzuki guy and it was the fastest street legal production bike.

FstFwd thru a wife & kids and for the past decade especially, each spring & fall I've wanted a bike and this year I seriously searched and assessed funds. On 5/13/2020 I brought her home with 19,226 miles and after tonight's ride the odo shows 20,641 miles. On the 5th day I rode to the tax office for registration and she wouldn't start afterwards :( so on the 6th day a new AGM battery was installed with only the occasional hesitation sense to start when the motor is hot.

The smoked windshield was on it and looks great IMO but, it didn't take many miles to install the Ztechnik Vstream (seller included) and I'm much happier with it's wind / noise protection. Problem is it's optics seem quite poor so I struggle to find wind protection vs. good visibility over the top.

Anywho, enough rambling for now, more to come. :thumb:

Ride safe, have fun. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks really good in Red, I'm considering having mine re-sprayed this colour or possibly the Lava Orange of the K1300S...:wink

·
Registered
18 Posts
You found a great way to social distance! Welcome back to the two wheel world!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Very nice looking bike and amazing it's so clean after nine years and some mileage too.

Now that you have a wife and kids, they'll miss you if you stuff it, which the K13's surely make possible. Ride safe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks really good in Red, I'm considering having mine re-sprayed this colour or possibly the Lava Orange of the K1300S...:wink
Thanks. I'm not familiar with the S orange but I do like the color. I would do that since it wasn't available on the GT or something completely different and original. Make 'em gawk a little :eek:hyeah:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice looking bike and amazing it's so clean after nine years and some mileage too.

Now that you have a wife and kids, they'll miss you if you stuff it, which the K13's surely make possible. Ride safe.
Thank you. It was in very good condition IMO, a few dings especially on the right side plastic but you have to look for it.

"FstFwd thru a wife & kids" meant AFTER ex and raising the kids :teeth Baring outside influences, I am so far from stuffing it it's not even funny! I'm no longer a balzy 20yo. Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is very nice to be riding again but I'm not sure the GT is for me.:confused: I fell in love with it when I saw it and did some research, decided I may not be able to afford the upkeep and looked into and researched quit a few other sport-touring bikes . . . but I kept coming back to THIS GT.

Last Saturday I received some Estrada roto pegs but they wouldn't fit. After a couple emails with Ken and finally send him pics, he told me I had a lowering kit. Sunday I yanked the kit off and the highway pegs went on smooth as silk so I went for a ride . . MAN that lowering kit made a HUGE difference!!! I'm only 5' 10" but BMW screwed the pooch with that peg location! I will definitely whittle on the lowering kit so it fits again. That said the roto pegs do seem to help in the comfort department based on the 60-80 miles I rode with them.

However, the highway pegs place my lower legs along the fairings trailing edge and the heat build up made it quite uncomfortable. I kept having to spread my legs out into the breeze. Are there any kind of ducts or louvers that allow more air flow on the sides of the motor?

·
Registered
606 Posts
;)
20k miles? Its just broken in.
Do you have the panniers for it?
If you need info on removing panels / fuel tank / spline lube / rear gear lube, just let us know.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
393 Posts
Last Saturday I received some Estrada roto pegs but they wouldn't fit. After a couple emails with Ken and finally send him pics, he told me I had a lowering kit.
Told you you'd like the pegs. Which foot lowering pegs do you have?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stay with it if possible. There's not much that has the same level of comfort / performance and agility all in one package.

I did build a ZZR1400 tourer once and that had the edge in performance. But not comfort. That suspension may be weird but it works - even on Irish Roads which are positively Third World.

Good luck with it.(y) Its a gem..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ireland huh. I knew something wuz wrong with you cuz you can't spell color right. :eek:

Just like some cars work better for you than others, the same applies to bikes, especially if you can afford only one.
I'm far from an expert or even really knowledgeable, but it does seem like a very good ride. (y)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
;)
20k miles? Its just broken in.
Do you have the panniers for it?
If you need info on removing panels / fuel tank / spline lube / rear gear lube, just let us know.
I hear odd stuff when riding that causes concern. Def plastic vibrations over sharp bumps because something(s) aren't secured properly. During tonight's low speed (<50mph) ride on an empty country road and doing slalom weaves, I heard what sounded like (dirty?) bearings loading up on one turn but not the other. Various things like that limit full confidence in the bike.

I have the panniers but haven't used them yet.

I saved that ^^ link, if you have different info, I would appreciate you sharing it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Told you you'd like the pegs. Which foot lowering pegs do you have?
I've no idea, maybe you can tell by the pic. I whittled on the lowering kit this evening and they are now re-installed along with the Estrada roto pegs, I'm a happy camper. :cool:

I rode to work Thursday & Friday, kept missing 2nd gear for some reason but that had also happened previously. During tonight's peg work I yanked off that neoprene shoe saver that came on the bike and no missed gears. Hopefully that was a permanent, easy fix.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
393 Posts
I've no idea, maybe you can tell by the pic. I whittled on the lowering kit this evening and they are now re-installed along with the Estrada roto pegs, I'm a happy camper.
That looks like a Suburban Machinery peg. If you are missing gears, you should probably adjust the linkage on the gear shift. You can also add the Ilium Works shift extension.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had adjusted the shift linkage both before & after the Estrada roto pegs. Removing that spongy shoe saver thingamabob seems to have made the difference, not a single missed gear today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I get about 50 mpg.... bit less if 'making progress'...

I have also fitted a gear lever extender and made my own brake extender as I find the controls a bit small for my Brontosaurus feet...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
MPG... I must have the worst around, it's about 30 in town. I have a air temp "spoofer" (forget the brand) that tells the ECU it's 20 degrees cooler, that richens the mix. I put that on in an effort to control hot stall issues, while using 87 octane E10, now use 91 octane E10. I should take it off and see what happens, it cost 2-3 mpg when I first put it on a couple years ago.

Living on an island 20 miles by 30, and using the bike as a commuter (4.5 miles to work, 4.5 miles back) is likely the root of the mpg matter. I do get a minute at speed going home but the offramp comes up in only a mile, so it's not until the weekend I can stretch it out a bit with the significant other onboard. There are over a million peeps on this island and every one of them seems to be driving several cars at once.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts