BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
MPG... I must have the worst around, it's about 30 in town. I have a air temp "spoofer" (forget the brand) that tells the ECU it's 20 degrees cooler, that richens the mix. I put that on in an effort to control hot stall issues, while using 87 octane E10, now use 91 octane E10. I should take it off and see what happens, it cost 2-3 mpg when I first put it on a couple years ago.

Living on an island 20 miles by 30, and using the bike as a commuter (4.5 miles to work, 4.5 miles back) is likely the root of the mpg matter. I do get a minute at speed going home but the offramp comes up in only a mile, so it's not until the weekend I can stretch it out a bit with the significant other onboard. There are over a million peeps on this island and every one of them seems to be driving several cars at once.
I get around 45 to 48 mpg. I have 23000 miles on the Odo. My bike is a 2009, after the disastrous 2006 1200GT. I have the Estrada highway pegs that were just refurbished by Ken after 6 or so years. Cannot do without them on any ride over 2 hours. I am also 83 years young. @ years ago I took the bike down to Virginia for the famous Touring weekend. I also did a 10-day trip last year from New York on the super slabs to Virginia, then doing the Skyline and all the way to the tail of the dragon, Maggie valley etc. Loving the bike after 10 years of wonership.

·
Registered
40 Posts
MPG... I must have the worst around, it's about 30 in town. I have a air temp "spoofer" (forget the brand) that tells the ECU it's 20 degrees cooler, that richens the mix. I put that on in an effort to control hot stall issues, while using 87 octane E10, now use 91 octane E10. I should take it off and see what happens, it cost 2-3 mpg when I first put it on a couple years ago.

Living on an island 20 miles by 30, and using the bike as a commuter (4.5 miles to work, 4.5 miles back) is likely the root of the mpg matter. I do get a minute at speed going home but the offramp comes up in only a mile, so it's not until the weekend I can stretch it out a bit with the significant other onboard. There are over a million peeps on this island and every one of them seems to be driving several cars at once.

Isn't there a simple wiring fix for the hot starting? connects the starter button to the starter motor somehow..? I think that was the original dealer recall fix for this.

Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
There was a BMW-supplied retrofit for bikes with inadequate grounding, IIRC used up through 2009 K13s. My 2010 is supposed to have that installed as OE. Hot stall on stopping seems to mostly happen when the bike is hotter than normal (but gage still at or below 1/2) and then it may not want to crank for restart. Battery is 3-year old Oddyssey PC680 and cranks well when "cold" which is in the low 80s here. I attribute poor hot start to a dragging clutch although the bike doesn't creep in first gear with the clutch pulled in, so I put it in neutral and it will usually start then.

·
Registered
82 Posts
yep, dead common issue, nasty wiring, the kit upgrades it and so the right volts reach the starter when the cabling is very hot.
as for the bike, I had a red one.... update the front indicators to clear lenses makes it look like a much more modern bike (the red ones look the worst with the orange ones)... some bloke in germany use to make them ( I got mine second hand on flebay)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts