BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all!!

So, I am new to the board... I recently purchased a 2009 13gt that had #4 rod failure... I have a spare motor that I will be installing after I get the transmission part I need...

A little about me... I have been working on or around cars since I was nine... 21 years active duty ARMY (retired) and the past seven in large factory maintenance... Currently for our favorite motorcycle "company" in Spartanburg...

About the bike I just purchased... I have already pulled the original motor that only has a few good parts left... The cylinder head (?), cylinders 1-3 bits, and most of the transmission; bent input shaft... Starter gear has a chip in one tooth... Alt is good...

The 49L trunk is not original to the bike, but I re-keyed the lock to match the ignition... Most of the recalls have been done, AFAIK... I tried checking today, but didn't get a call back yet...

So, I did a few videos of my progress so far... Not actually while I was doing the work, but interesting stuff during... I am working on getting a GoPro to video as I do the actual work... I'll take pics of whatever someone needs to see or I'll try to do a video of something someone wants to see done...

Well, that's all I can think of for now...

Cheers for now!!

Billiam

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good day all!

Well, I love the bike! I've taken care of a few issues that I wanted to pass on and get some thoughts concerning a random vibration I'm having.

I didn't realize that I had the dreaded missing headlight adjuster knob. The headlight was pointed at the trees on my way home the first night I had it out. I pulled the light and figured out I was missing the knob. I screwed the adjuster all the way out. So the light would be pointing to the sky if things were new. I put the load adjuster toggle on and screwed on two 10mm nuts. Added a little jb weld and things work like normal 24 hours later.

I also got two wind screens with the bike. My better half likes the wind deflection of the taller one. The start of the swap revealed one screw missing and two others not holding on to very much. I pulled the screen off and assessed the situation. I had purchased a set of hardware from the seller of my replacement motor, so I had extra bolts to use. The next size up, of the same length seemed to be the best option. A 7/16 drill bit and tap cured things. I found it was a better fit to only tap about half way. Just enough to get the new bolt to start. It cut the remaining threads in the soft aluminum for a tight fit. OEM look with original hardware.

I did a few other small things... adjusted the shifter. Cleaned and changed the fluid in the clutch system. Replaced the rear brakes. Connected up the original horn.

I love the little things about the bike that the Honda doesn't have. Like auto canceling turn signals. Cruise control. ESA. Cargo boxes that you don't need to have a key to open (if already unlocked). And an extra gear!

Okay, so! I'm getting a slight vibration at highway speed. It's not consistent like a tire balance issue. It includes resistance when it's there. I can describe it like a nut threading on a bolt. If you spin the nut fast, it will either thread on its own quickly OR vibrate to a rapid halt. That vibration is kinda like what I'm getting. And generally is non- existent with acceleration. Comes and goes with steady cruising.

Okay, book is long enough!

Cheers for now everyone!

·
Registered
177 Posts
hmmm How is the vibration felt?

IIRC(?) BMW says replace wheel bearings at 30Kmiles. If you raise one tire and spin it very gently, does it rotate completely smoothly without any suggestion of notchiness or any feeling of sand in the wheel bearing? Is there any play at 9-3 o'clock or at 12-6 in either wheel?

If you get speed in second gear then clutch in and shift to neutral, does the vibration occur? (The though is to take the engine out of the question by doing so).

Have a look at the brake pads/rotors.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good day!

The vibration is like a bearing inner race is spinning on a shaft... I'll order the bearings today regardless. I just got the bike, so I'm unsure when anything has been replaced. Rear pads were almost down to metal... Clutch fluid looked original... just turned 38k... I think...

I also have a spare drive shaft that I was gonna throw in, just to rule that out... I forgot to mention that I kinda ruled out engine internals... I got up to speed and pulled in the clutch, killed the motor. Vibration was still there... drive line, diff, and bearings are the remaining items... it would be great if it was the bearings.... I'll inspect everything tonight...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good day!!!

So, I did the motor vibration test again on the way home. This time I got a different result. No vibration with motor off and coasting. So, I did it three more times.... Again, no vibration with motor off, coasting (slowing down).

The motor I purchased to get the bike back on the road had a reported 80+K miles... Is it the famous cam chain sprocket / cam cap failure?! Ehhh... I have a spare motor, but... So, I will keep at this to see if I can figure out the issue... I couldn't get the plugs out with the sockets I have (at the time I installed the motor)... Recently, I modified one of the 5/8's I have, so it will fit... And I do recommend going with the slimmed down 5/8's instead of the deep socket 16mm.... 5/8 just fits better...

So!!! I tore down my original motor... Three piston/rod combo's survived... The head survived somehow! No bent valves!! Block and #4 is toast! Flywheel and clutch basket are toast... Clutch pack made it okay... Starter gears are broken... Counter balances are fine... Oil pump looks fine, although I did not disassemble it yet. I did figure out how the oil pump does it's thing!! Very interesting!!

Okay, cheers for now....

William

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
408 Posts
Do you get this vibration between 65 and 70 mph or 4,000 to 5,000 rpm?

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good day everyone!

I did another test on the way into work. I let the gears slowly wind out to a steady 5k rpm's... each gear had vibration above 5k without acceleration.

Anyone mess with the counterbalance settings? I messed with the broken motors' counterbalances... So, see how they work...

I'll see what happens!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
408 Posts
The vibration is a trait of the K1300. I always know when I hit 65mph because I can feel it in the pegs. It was something I had to get used to coming from a R1200RT.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good day everyone!

Thanks for the info! I was seriously worried that I had a pending explosion on my hands. LOL!!

So, I did some more testing on the way home this evening. I took the RPM's above 6K, then let the bike slow on its own... The vibrations went away around 5100 or so each time... From 5100 to about 6800, the vibration would only show itself when I used the motor to slow down. Any positive input would cancel the vibration. Above 6800, it was present regardless...

I took a video of the front wheel, but I am too new with this GoPro thing... I'll post it on youtube when I figure this stuff out! I have some footage of the motor swap in progress too... And cleaning out the nasty fluid from the clutch system...

Cheers for now all!!!

Thanks again for the input!!

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good day everyone!

I ordered the bearings and seals. I also purchased the replacement brake pads since the ones on the bike are about done. I figured out my gopro a little as well. I may video the bearing replacement if anyone is interested.

I did not order OEM BMW bearing and seals. I went with the FAG 6005-2RSR-C3 bearings. I'll give a comparison review of the ones I pull from the wheel and the new ones. I went with the Timken 32x47x7 R2LS32-S seals. This seal has the extra dust lip. I figured it wouldn't hurt, so I spent the extra fifty cents per seal. I want to take the bike apart now so I can inspect the bearings and such now, but I don't have the new parts. The bike might be in the way if I need to work on something else. And I won't be able to move it if its apart. With any luck, the parts will be here before the weekend.

Anyone want me to post the break-down of the failed motor? Or any other repair that you are unsure about?!

Cheers for now!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
The clutch components should sell easily, if you want to... many of us have issues with what BMW put in there, including myself, but I've "learned" how to clutch without as much KLUNK as it used to. Match revs, preload, full clutch, shift above 3000, and it will change gears more easily.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
408 Posts
Match revs, preload, full clutch, shift above 3000, and it will change gears more easily.
I used to have problems shifting into fifth gear when I first got my bike. All of the other gears were fine. Just had to be conscious of the preload and everything worked out okay :giggle:.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Coincidentally, my bike with 30,000 miles is difficult to get in/out of fifth, sometimes. It hasn't happened frequently enough that I can get a baseline on what the problem might be. Not going into the trans to muck with it, though. I've read that BMW shift forks can be a little weak, but no doubt some ex-dirt riders mash 'em pretty hard.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good day all!

So, I got the GoPro out and figured I'd try this... Feel free to laugh away at my set-up! This was a quick glance at what I found when I pulled a spare, damaged K1200 trans apart...

I didn't add the fact that you can replace the shifter forks without going crazy with the trans tear-down like I did here. However, if the wear on the fork is bad, chances are the damage on the slider gear area is just as bad.

Additionally, I did get my bearings and brake pads in... I did not get the seals... Whats worse is that when I checked on where the seals were in the shipping progress, the tracking number indicated that USPS has a number for the package, but has NOT received the package at all... After four days, I'd figure it would at least be in the mail system... Prob not going to do business with that Ebay seller again... Oh, I did order all the items within a 24-hour window... So....

Cheers for now everyone!!!

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good day all!!

Well, I got my bearings and driveshaft swapped out today... I learned a lot with this!! I used the GoPro so maybe I can pass some of these neat finds on to others doing the job... I'm having a bit of an issue with editing software, so it may be chopped up in different videos...

The bike feels a bit better at speeds, but I think the vibration still exists... I'm going to do tires next... They need to be replaced anyways... I'll try to get the videos up as soon as possible...

Cheers for now all!!!

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good day all!!

Well, I finally got the front wheel bearing videos up... Here they are... I don't know how to fade the different clips into one constant video yet... I actually had to take one bearing apart to get the inner race out so the spacer would come out... You end up destroying the bearing by taking the cage out, but it's getting replaced anyway... I left the middle spacer alignment rings out so future replacements won't be so challenging...

I hope this helps someone and I don't end up just boring the viewers!!

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good day all!

I still have the vibration. It is almost too unbearable at the higher speeds... I'm tempted to play with the balance shafts, thinking they have been messed with by the previous owners of the motor... I think I may swap in the other motor I have if tweaking the balance shafts doesn't fix the issue... The normal vibration up to about 80MPH is fine... but once the vibration starts, it only gets worse the faster I go... It really kills the fun factor, which is the reason I got the bike...

Anyone adjust the balance shafts with positive results?

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Billiam,

Congrats on fixing the new ride. Enjoy!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Your threads are pretty informative, keep up the great work. I'm impressed!

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your threads are pretty informative, keep up the great work. I'm impressed!

Thanks,
Mark
Good day!!

Thanks!! I hope what I figure out can assist someone in the future...

I have a new video about the balance shafts, if anyone is interested...

And just a little extra entertainment that I captured on the gopro on the way into work... I was doing my normal speed on this stretch... 55 posted limit... I was a little more than that, but not crazy fun twisties fast...

Cheers!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts