BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day all!

Well, I love the bike! I've taken care of a few issues that I wanted to pass on and get some thoughts concerning a random vibration I'm having.

I didn't realize that I had the dreaded missing headlight adjuster knob. The headlight was pointed at the trees on my way home the first night I had it out. I pulled the light and figured out I was missing the knob. I screwed the adjuster all the way out. So the light would be pointing to the sky if things were new. I put the load adjuster toggle on and screwed on two 10mm nuts. Added a little jb weld and things work like normal 24 hours later.

I also got two wind screens with the bike. My better half likes the wind deflection of the taller one. The start of the swap revealed one screw missing and two others not holding on to very much. I pulled the screen off and assessed the situation. I had purchased a set of hardware from the seller of my replacement motor, so I had extra bolts to use. The next size up, of the same length seemed to be the best option. A 7/16 drill bit and tap cured things. I found it was a better fit to only tap about half way. Just enough to get the new bolt to start. It cut the remaining threads in the soft aluminum for a tight fit. OEM look with original hardware.

I did a few other small things... adjusted the shifter. Cleaned and changed the fluid in the clutch system. Replaced the rear brakes. Connected up the original horn.

I love the little things about the bike that the Honda doesn't have. Like auto canceling turn signals. Cruise control. ESA. Cargo boxes that you don't need to have a key to open (if already unlocked). And an extra gear!

Okay, so! I'm getting a slight vibration at highway speed. It's not consistent like a tire balance issue. It includes resistance when it's there. I can describe it like a nut threading on a bolt. If you spin the nut fast, it will either thread on its own quickly OR vibrate to a rapid halt. That vibration is kinda like what I'm getting. And generally is non- existent with acceleration. Comes and goes with steady cruising.

Okay, book is long enough!

Cheers for now everyone!
Try fitting R&G racing bar end protectors - they're a different weight to the OEM ones and help to dampen out the vibes through the bars :)

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Try fitting R&G racing bar end protectors - they're a different weight to the OEM ones and help to dampen out the vibes through the bars :)
Good day!

I will look into those! Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Good day all!!!

So, I need to do the tires before I play with the balance shafts adjustments... I've been doing some poking around and I hear great things about the Mich PR4GT's, Bridgestone T30&T31's... I know the GT versions have a slightly harder compound to deal with increase loads, but I usually ride one up with the top box half loaded, so I don't absolutely need the GT's if those that have experienced both say the ride is better one way or the other... Are there any other changes that yous would suggest since I have to get new shoes regardless?? There aren't any options for the front other than rim size, but the rears have four different sizes avail... 170/60 (smaller than stock), 185/55 (stock), 190/50 (larger), and 190/55 (larger).... Thoughts?!

I did a search for tires, but not much on here since about 2009...

Thanks everyone!!!

Cheers!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks for a good video, good maneuvering around that truck - yeah, I see that a lot in socal, people thinking they belong in the fast lane!

SpeedSafe!
Mark

·
Registered
828 Posts
Good day all!!!

So, I need to do the tires before I play with the balance shafts adjustments... I've been doing some poking around and I hear great things about the Mich PR4GT's, Bridgestone T30&T31's... I know the GT versions have a slightly harder compound to deal with increase loads, but I usually ride one up with the top box half loaded, so I don't absolutely need the GT's if those that have experienced both say the ride is better one way or the other... Are there any other changes that yous would suggest since I have to get new shoes regardless?? There aren't any options for the front other than rim size, but the rears have four different sizes avail... 170/60 (smaller than stock), 185/55 (stock), 190/50 (larger), and 190/55 (larger).... Thoughts?!

I did a search for tires, but not much on here since about 2009...

Thanks everyone!!!

Cheers!!
I've had great luck with pilot roads (185/55), I swear by them! The sides are just as soft as the pilot powers, so I had confidence leaning over and tapping my knee down, which was on my old K12RS. I haven't had a chance to push my new bike that far.
My newish bike came with Metzlers, I'm experiencing some speed wobbles, but it's probably a combination of tires, older suspension, and pavement.

Speed Safe!
Mark

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
406 Posts
180/55/17 is the stock size rear. I ran PR4 GT's on my bike and got 17K out of the set (yeah, I couldn't believe it either). Running PR5 GT's now and they feel a little more stable than the 4's.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for a good video, good maneuvering around that truck - yeah, I see that a lot in socal, people thinking they belong in the fast lane!

SpeedSafe!
Mark
Yea, i don't know if the person was still asleep or their glasses were still on the counter at the house... I'd hope passing them like that got them thinking a little...

It happens here almost all the time... driver training just isn't what it use to be... "slower traffic keep right!" Nowadays, even the 24 foot Lowe's box trucks go directly into the fast lane and cruise at 1mph under the limit.... along with all the texting drivers... i went to my sister's yesterday... guy was actually steering with his knee so he could use both fingers on the phone... crazy!

Thanks!

I've had great luck with pilot roads (185/55), I swear by them! The sides are just as soft as the pilot powers, so I had confidence leaning over and tapping my knee down, which was on my old K12RS. I haven't had a chance to push my new bike that far.
My newish bike came with Metzlers, I'm experiencing some speed wobbles, but it's probably a combination of tires, older suspension, and pavement.

Speed Safe!
Mark
I was going to source some PR4GT's... just to do a little comparison since i have two bikes... they both need tires...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
180/55/17 is the stock size rear. I ran PR4 GT's on my bike and got 17K out of the set (yeah, I couldn't believe it either). Running PR5 GT's now and they feel a little more stable than the 4's.
Good day!

I didn't even notice i put that rear size in wrong! Good catch! I also didn't know the PR5's were out yet... i may put a set of those on the Honda since it could use some new sneakers too...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Good day everyone!

Well, it looks like it's time to sell the BMW fleet and move on to another manufacturer.... i rely on the avail repair information about the vehicles i own in order to do the needed repairs and such... I've heard it on here a few times about not having all the needed info, wiring diagrams and such, that aid us in fixing our own issues... well, bmw has somewhat forced newtis.info to close so individuals will need to pay unreasonably high fees to access what was free a month ago....

Oh well! Such is life sometimes!

Good luck everyone! Cheers!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts