BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, greetings from Tasmania, Australia (the big island below Australia).

I have had my 2009 K1300R (ABS) stored in a shipping container for 6 months, upon getting it out I find the right brake lever pulls straight to the handlebar grip, I suspect it may need to be dismantled and some parts replaced, can anyone point me in the right direction for information on how to do this, and where to get the parts, please ?.

When I pull the lever in I can hear a small click, I assume this is to do with the ABS.

Thank You in advance,
Cookey.
[email protected]

·
Registered
59 Posts
gosh assuming this is the front lever the click may be the brake light switch.
Is the reservoir full? WHat happens with the rear pedal?

Have you started the bike? I doubt they ABS pump bleeds down at least mine has not whilst stored but 6 months is a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply,

Sorry, the fluid level is correct and we have tried to bleed the brakes, the old fashioned way.

The rear brake works fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Everyone,
I have managed to fix the above problem with my front brakes, this is what I did, I hope this may be of help to someone else.

My mate and I, during the course of a couple of days, firstly the adjusting screw was set to maximum, (the widest distance between the brake lever and the handlebar grip), every time we walked past the bike, we pulled in the brake lever in as hard as possible, and let it go banging back to its correct resting spot, about 5 times. Over the course of time, the pressure of the lever gradually got better and both front brakes are now working perfectly.

I think what happened was because the bike had not been used for 6 months, the brake piston within the handlebar housing became sticky, and with the continual pulling the lever and letting it bang back, gradually freed it up. I could be totally wrong also, however the outcome was great. I will find out in the next couple of days, as I will take the bike for a nice low-speed ride.

Thank you for your time,
Cookey.

ps: This reminds me of the K Series 750cc Honda's back in the '70s, the Cam Chain Tensioner, the housing was cast alloy and the shaft was high-speed steel, after a while they seem to sweat together and become sticky, I always removed the housing and made sure it moved freely, before adjusting the cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ive had this happen on a bike where it was the caliper pistons sticky from sitting.
Bleed the system and be cautious and that back brake wont haul you down from speed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Everyone,
I rode the bike last weekend and the brakes are awesome, no problems at all.
Thank you for your time,
Cookey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts