BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

In 2012 I purchased an 09 K1300 GT with 4,750km on it...obviously hardly broken in for a BMW engine. I started having hot-start issues right away. I didn't know at the time that this was a common problem among the K12/13 bikes. I thought it was my battery issue, and I one day planned on replacing my battery. Even though after running some diagnostics on the battery, the battery and the charging system appeared fine...I was still thinking that a new battery will solve my issues.

This year I started doing a little more reading up on the hot-start problem on the K bikes, and realize that I am having one of these problems, and the solution is a heavier gauge wiring harness that BMW supplies....in something called a soft-recall. I guess if you have a good rapport with the dealership's service department, and you complain enough, they will reluctantly replace this under the warranty.

So I've emailed...back and forth, BMW Canada and explained my issue. They are crossing their arms and saying my bike is no longer under warranty etc... I've been amazed at how poor their customer support and service has been on such a major, across the board issue. I'm waiting to hear back from them as I replied to an email this morning.

I wanted to know if anyone in Ontario, specifically Toronto or the GTA has had to deal with BMW to repair this hot-start issue. I wanted to get some advice and direction on how to further proceed with this to get it resolved. Or maybe there is a simple fix that someone knows that I can do myself. I'm a handy enough guy to handle something mechanical if it's fairly straight forward....I just completed the 20,000km service on it myself without any hurdles.

Thank you guys in advance. Stay safe and enjoy!

Krystian

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2009 13GT has the same problem, my local dealer was well aware of it. I have not yet left the bike with them but they seem more than willing to fix it. What might be the difference is mine is out of BMW warranty but I have a Western extended warranty and they do know that.

Have you dealt with your local dealer of just BMW Corporate?

Your local dealer should go to bat for you on this? Mine just went to bat with BMW last year on my wife's F800ST stalling, 1 year out of warranty and they were able have BMW cover the $900 fuel pump and labor on a stalling issue....so here's the plug, it's Cycle Specialties in Modesto, CA....great people!

To answer the DIY question, If at all possible you want them to take care of this even if you have the skill, from what I saw there appears to be a lot of unraveling of the factory harness needed under the tank area...

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hot Start fix

The hot start problem is common with the K13GT bikes.
IF you replace the stock battery with an Odyssey PC680 battery, the problem disappears. In my opinion, it technically does not fix the problem, but since it will hot start nicely with this battery, I don't care.

Bob - 2010 K1300GT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx BigKnot and johnberg.

I am envious I'm not in Cali for 2 reasons...the roads and scenery and the fact I don't have a willing dealership wanting to go to bat for me. I tried one and I have 1 left to try. Problem is, I don't take it in on a regular basis so I don't have a good rapport with any of them...but I am willing to try.

I have mostly dealt with BMW Canada on this, via email. It's kinda funny that the dealerships south of the border are more willing to help their customers than BMW dealerships here in the GTA.
This is sort of rubbing me the wrong way how they are handling it....I'll make a few more attempts to resolve this as civilly as possible and then social media might be my last resort...and at that point I'll just be voicing my opinions. As little as they're worth...but we all gotta give it an honest effort.

Thanks gents

·
Registered
11 Posts
Odyssey battery fixed mine, the bmw gell battery tested fine but would labor when hot starting. Swapped in the new odyssey and no more problems! :clap:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...I've begun pricing out Odyssey PC680MJ batteries. I'll probably just buy one and hopefully have the issue dealt with.
I've read on a different post that putting a 3/8" plywood underneath the battery solves the issue. Sounds weirdly simple, but what so I have to lose :)

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
The hot start problem stems from an engine with very tight tolerances, a too-small starter cable wire gauge, and a barely-adequate gel battery.

You have several options:

1) Ride it as is, and get annoyed every so often.

2) Continue to push BMW for a solution, which they may or may not do under warranty.

3) Find the part number for the new battery cable and order and replace it yourself.

4) Investigate the newer LiPo batteries which are smaller and lighter in weight.

5) Just buy an Odyssey PC680 battery like the rest of us and never have this issue again.

On the PC680, the standard battery is fine; the Metal Jacket version isn't strictly required. I went with the MJ because the price was close and I wanted a bit of extra heat protection, and the battery sits right above the hot engine. Check around locally and online to get the best deal you can, including tax and shipping.

Then just go out for a nice, long ride . . . :ricky

·
Registered
752 Posts
Just about any AGM battery is much better than the gel. And the 'fix' is just a heavier gauge cable... it would probably take about 1/100 the time to just install it yourself vs. fighting with BMW.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I inspected the fix after having this issue. The dealership simply ran a second cable the whole way in parallel to the original positive run. No more problems.
But, I have to agree with others here, if the goal is less hassle, get an Odyssey. Or do what I was doing; walk away from the bike for a few minutes. It will start again when it cools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hot start

I also have the hot start problem here in the uk same 2009 k1300gt contacted my local bmw dealer who said they know about it and will contact bmw for authorisation. Couple of days latter they contacted me to say all is well and they will do the work under warranty which includes upgraded loom and relay so booked in for the 30 of this month where they will check the fuel leak recall just to add the lady said the warranty for the hot start expires in December 14.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
robday said:
The dealership simply ran a second cable the whole way in parallel to the original positive run.
So this second cable was run between the starter relay and the starter? Was anything done to the positive cable attached from the battery to the starter relay?

Reactions: Beech

·
Registered
27 Posts
The supplemental starter wiring kit, BMW Part #12418532735 like RobDay says is
a larger diameter wire run from the battery to the Alternator in addition to the existing
wiring.
But.
It also includes larger wiring from the Alternator to the starter relay, and from the relay
to the starter.
It also includes a heavier duty starter relay,
Is it worth the money? The wiring kit fixes the problem that the Odyssey battery masks,
and costs about the same.
With everyone else reporting years and years of service from the Odyssey, I fell off the Odyssey bandwagon when mine died after 1 year.
Now with the wiring upgrade and a 3 year old BMW battery it starts up like it should have
from the beginning.
Some folks report their dealer installing the upgrade free of charge. Thats great!
I inquired about this and the service manager told me he had never heard of a hot
start problem on the slant/4s.:confused:
Thats why I did it myself.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
That's good info, Carl.

Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Be aware that my bike had the "Hot Start Fix" quite early on in ownership and that I still occasionally get the issue though not as often.

At Christmas time I took part in a Santa on Bikes Toy Run for the kids which meant crawling along in heavy traffic for a couple of hours. I made the mistake of stopping for a quick break in the middle of town and that was it, had to wait 30 minutes for the bike to cool before it would start again.

Yep Im a cheapskate and havent swapped the battery which probably would cure the issue, but Im fed up spending money on this thing, my Front shocks just gone and thats gonna cost as with 54K miles no warranty over here(UK)

·
Registered
2010 K1300GT
1 Posts
The supplemental starter wiring kit, BMW Part #12418532735 like RobDay says is
a larger diameter wire run from the battery to the Alternator in addition to the existing
wiring.
But.
It also includes larger wiring from the Alternator to the starter relay, and from the relay
to the starter.
It also includes a heavier duty starter relay,
Is it worth the money? The wiring kit fixes the problem that the Odyssey battery masks,
and costs about the same.
With everyone else reporting years and years of service from the Odyssey, I fell off the Odyssey bandwagon when mine died after 1 year.
Now with the wiring upgrade and a 3 year old BMW battery it starts up like it should have
from the beginning.
Some folks report their dealer installing the upgrade free of charge. Thats great!
I inquired about this and the service manager told me he had never heard of a hot
start problem on the slant/4s.:confused:
Thats why I did it myself.
Six years on and your voice has reached me on my new-to-me (January 2019) 2010 K1300GT. Same experience with Oddessey with failure in less than a year (though they are replacing under warranty.) I am awaiting both wiring kit from local dealer (at 60% higher cost than eBay) and the warrantied battery. Living in Mesa, AZ, I need all the help I can get with this Achilles heel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Six years on and your voice has reached me on my new-to-me (January 2019) 2010 K1300GT. Same experience with Oddessey with failure in less than a year (though they are replacing under warranty.) I am awaiting both wiring kit from local dealer (at 60% higher cost than eBay) and the warrantied battery. Living in Mesa, AZ, I need all the help I can get with this Achilles heel.
Good luck with the install
Let us know how it works out

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
290 Posts
It is a lot of work to install this kit, but worth it. BMW was not paying the dealers enought to cover the actual time it takes to do the job. So many dealers went negative. You need to have some established "feelings " with your dealer if you want help with complicated problems. Walk in off the street and your a stranger, you never have spent money there and why should they help you. They think they will never see you again. Life is nasty. You have to pull the fuel tank and be ready for other hassles. Releasing the relay from its socket is a bear. Pick a good route for the harness. Stay away from the throttle linkage. While the bike is open remove the starter and do a clean and lube job on it. Keep all wires low so the gas tank will not rub. Don't mess up the fuel line quick connects or the O-ring on the male part. Route well forward and up to the right around to the battery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts