BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took a 50 mile test ride on an Apple Red 2010 GT.

I think it's a very fair statement to say that it is a noticeable improvement over my 2007 GT that I ended up trading for an RT.

The fueling is much more precise, and overal the bike felt more refined and easier to live with.

I like it enough to consider buying. The only part I'm struggling with is which bike would be better suited for San Diego? I am in the process of moving out there next month (tentatively).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Go for it, don't look back and don't look forward to the K1600 either!!

I've owned a 2000 K1200LT, a 2007 RT( with the quicker motor, lighter overall wt) and now an 09 K13GT. I've lived in the boonies and commuted to the city (KLT) and lived in the city for every day commuting and weekends into the country or longer trips. I'm here to tell you, if you keep good tires on the K13GT, it especially wants to eat up the rear tire quickly; then that bike will out-sprint the RT in a heartbeat in town! It will pass anything on the highway much more willingly than the RT and once you've grown accustomed to it, you will be much happier than the RT. The K13GT is very adaptable to all riding scenarios, the real issue is your own ability to become as good a pilot as that K13 is a rocket-sled! The performance envelope on that bike is exponentially larger than the RT or the KLT. My 2 cents!
-Dr Ron :teeth

·
Registered
21 Posts
doc52 said:
The K13GT is very adaptable to all riding scenarios, the real issue is your own ability to become as good a pilot as that K13 is a rocket-sled! The performance envelope on that bike is exponentially larger than the RT or the KLT. My 2 cents!
I agree 100% best bike on the market.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Naw. You're all wrong.

The S1000RR will make the others look like mere turtles. Trust me. :teeth

K1300 is a "Rocket ship?" Really? :rotf:

Mack

·
Registered
30 Posts
My son lives in SD and commutes daily on a V-Strom mostly because he can split lanes and get through the gridlock. I've spent time there visiting on my 07 GT, using it to get around and found that while it was OK, his "strominator" to be better due to the upright seating positition and lower gearing. The GT was almost to fast for lane splitting requiring a lot of clutch work. If the traffic is rolling, no big deal.

My opinion only but while the sport and GT bikes work in town, they are at their best in the wide open spaces. A supermoto type ride with a trunk would be best.

·
Registered
752 Posts
mmerrill said:
My opinion only but while the sport and GT bikes work in town, they are at their best in the wide open spaces.
I agree. The GT bikes are great but can be frustrating in tight traffic, they tend to not like juggling tiny throttle settings and when you finally do get a chance to stretch their legs you end up going a lot faster than you should. I would say keep your '07 GT for longer trips and take the money you would use to upgrade to the 1300 and use it for a mid-displacement urban bike (like the V-Strom or Versys) for commute/in-town duty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I regularly drive my 2006 GT in inner city and rush hour traffic. There is a lot of clutch work in there as you try to keep those revs where they do the most good and speed from sending you into the car ahead of you. If I can see a bit of daylight in front me though, I am GONE!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm riding an RT currently guys. I traded the 07 GT a while back.

Relative to which bike fit the riding of the San Diego area better, I was mainly asking from the standpoint of pleasure riding, and not commuting.

If I had to guess I'd say the RT is probably the more relaxed of the two for commuting.

·
Registered
650 Posts
We all know how good these bikes are and aren't. One of my buddies has a 1300 and it is much smoother than my 1200
He has had his share of problems. Switches, stalling and excessive oil burn.
Personally I wouldnt be comfortable laying out the sort of money required to change into a bike that will be basically obsolete in 3 months but that just me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dadicool59 said:
We all know how good these bikes are and aren't. One of my buddies has a 1300 and it is much smoother than my 1200
He has had his share of problems. Switches, stalling and excessive oil burn.
Personally I wouldnt be comfortable laying out the sort of money required to change into a bike that will be basically obsolete in 3 months but that just me.
I would say that the 60-70lbs of added weight, and heftier price of the K16, will make the 13GT relevant for quite a long time.

I'm excited about the 16GT, but it appears to be less of a hot rod than the 13GT.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
eng943 said:
I'm excited about the 16GT, but it appears to be less of a hot rod than the 13GT.
It all depends on your perspective. I know guys that think the K1300S is "pudgy", and that the K1300GT is downright "porky". :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
eng943 said:
I would say that the 60-70lbs of added weight, and heftier price of the K16, will make the 13GT relevant for quite a long time.

I agree, I have some reservations that the extra weight, with the same number of horses means the 16, may lack some character and down right speediness. Although the torque and where it comes in may make the point completely moot. I suspect that there will be people who want the 12's and 13's long after the 16 has been let loose on the world.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kalli said:
I agree, I have some reservations that the extra weight, with the same number of horses means the 16, may lack some character and down right speediness. Although the torque and where it comes in may make the point completely moot. I suspect that there will be people who want the 12's and 13's long after the 16 has been let loose on the world.
Oh absolutely. The 16GT/GTL was designed with two up tourer in mind to give them a large amount of torque for easy overtaking, etc.

It's clearly filling a niche in between the current GT and LT and in many ways splits the differences of those two bikes. Hence it's been fairly obvious on the forums that not all current GT and LT riders see the new 1600 as the ideal replacement to their current mount.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
eng943 said:
It's clearly filling a niche in between the current GT and LT and in many ways splits the differences of those two bikes.
And that's the exact bike that I, and many others, have wanted BMW to build for years . . .

eng943 said:
Hence it's been fairly obvious on the forums that not all current GT and LT riders see the new 1600 as the ideal replacement to their current mount.
That's just because y'all haven't ridden one yet . . . ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree with doc52

doc52 said:
I've owned a 2000 K1200LT, a 2007 RT( with the quicker motor, lighter overall wt) and now an 09 K13GT. I've lived in the boonies and commuted to the city (KLT) and lived in the city for every day commuting and weekends into the country or longer trips. I'm here to tell you, if you keep good tires on the K13GT, it especially wants to eat up the rear tire quickly; then that bike will out-sprint the RT in a heartbeat in town! It will pass anything on the highway much more willingly than the RT and once you've grown accustomed to it, you will be much happier than the RT. The K13GT is very adaptable to all riding scenarios, the real issue is your own ability to become as good a pilot as that K13 is a rocket-sled! The performance envelope on that bike is exponentially larger than the RT or the KLT. My 2 cents!
Another 100% agree.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Meese said:
And that's the exact bike that I, and many others, have wanted BMW to build for years . . .

That's just because y'all haven't ridden one yet . . . ;)
No offense to the K16, but an extra 80lbs or so as well as a few extra thou make it a bit less appealing than a '10 K13GT...to me anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts