BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
So this definitely supports the "starting hot" hypothesis in the thread most.
No it doesn’t. The starting hot hypothesis is from being at a complete stop to sending it at full speed with a hot engine, not constant motorway riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No it doesn’t. The starting hot hypothesis is from being at a complete stop to sending it at full speed with a hot engine, not constant motorway riding.
I hadn't done 300km in one go... Had left after a stop, back to motorway speeds (and a bit more)...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Apparently the myth of german anal retentive attention to torque values and metalurgy is a myth.
Hard to think the power tools on the line would get far out of spec so Im thinking bad batch of bolts tossed into a massive pile of good ones as easter eggs

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi all. I am new to this forum, but was immediately drawn to this thread because I experienced the exact same thing. Riding on the left lane of the motorway, heard a big "boom", experienced a power drop, saw a huge grey cloud appearing in my mirrors...Quote”

This is very rare to experience this on a K’s engine as they are known for being bullet proof ! If you rode 55,000 km on it already it certainly wasn’t a lemon or defect from factory IMO.
I know the factory oil interval is 6k on these bikes and some even go beyond that, however that is way too long to leave oil in especially with a wet clutch engine that shares oil with engine and sheds material therefore contaminanting the oil in 2.5k, oil flush every second oil change is also good preventing measure. This is oil related in my opinion and possibly lack of pro active maintenance.
This is very rare to experience this on a K’s engine as they are known for being bullet proof ! If you rode 55,000 km on it already it certainly wasn’t a lemon or defect from factory IMO.
I know the factory oil interval is 6k on these bikes and some even go beyond that, however that is way too long to leave oil in especially with a wet clutch engine that shares oil with engine and sheds material therefore contaminanting the oil in 2.5k, oil flush every second oil change is also good preventing measure. This is oil related in my opinion and possibly lack of pro active maintenance.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1300S
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
BadgerBiker, Any updates from BMW about repairing the engine? Curious!!!!
Roninrider,

I went several rounds with the original dealer I purchased the bike from and BMW directly. To the dealer's credit, they put forth some good effort. In the end, BMW didn't offer anything regarding a solution to this problem so I ended up selling the bike to another member of this forum that has the same bike and can use the rest of the essentially new machine for parts. A little bid sad, but a win-win for us both. Upward and onward!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts