BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2720 ordered and it's backordered until tomorrow, leaving me with time to think. ;)

Maybe I should go with the 2610 and a 1G CF card. Save $200. The UI is supposed to be better on the 26xx series vs. the 27xx series. That's probably more important on a bike than in a car.

Or just "fire all of my guns at once and explode into space" and go with the 2730. It includes the XM traffic feed (as well as the XM radio) That would cost an additional $10/month (traffic feed only) or $17/month (traffic and regular subscription.) In addition, it plays MP3s and has an FM modulator so I could use my MP3 player/FM tuner for a non-tethered total solution. The 2730 goes for $910 - $160 more than the 2720.

In addition to the traffic information, 2730 is supposed to get some sort of "XM WX Weather" but I'm still trying to find out what that really means. While the traffic info is limited to certain markets (And I'm near Chicago, so I'm in a covered area) the weather should have full coverage. And weather info could be particularly useful to motorcyclists.

Decisions... decisions.

-hank

·
Registered
176 Posts
HankB said:
I have the 2720 ordered and it's backordered until tomorrow, leaving me with time to think. ;)

Maybe I should go with the 2610 and a 1G CF card. Save $200. The UI is supposed to be better on the 26xx series vs. the 27xx series. That's probably more important on a bike than in a car.

Or just "fire all of my guns at once and explode into space" and go with the 2730. It includes the XM traffic feed (as well as the XM radio) That would cost an additional $10/month (traffic feed only) or $17/month (traffic and regular subscription.) In addition, it plays MP3s and has an FM modulator so I could use my MP3 player/FM tuner for a non-tethered total solution. The 2730 goes for $910 - $160 more than the 2720.

In addition to the traffic information, 2730 is supposed to get some sort of "XM WX Weather" but I'm still trying to find out what that really means. While the traffic info is limited to certain markets (And I'm near Chicago, so I'm in a covered area) the weather should have full coverage. And weather info could be particularly useful to motorcyclists.

Decisions... decisions.

-hank
There's a reason everyone is comparing new GPSs to the 2610. It's the de facto standard. You don't need all that extra crap, anyway. Weather warnings?? Seriously, who needs it? If there's no chance of ice on the road, pack the gear you might need and ride. We are outside afterall, just look around - the weather is generally fairly obvious.

When it can CONTROL the weather, then I'll get one. I'd even pay a $10 monthly fee to make the rain stop as I ride into an area. But I'm not going to not ride, just because it might rain somewhere.

The 2610 is a steal at under $500 now.

(Is "the de facto" redundant?)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Explode

HankB said:

Decisions... decisions.

-hank
I say for $160.00 EXPLODE!
You know you've wasted that much away without thinking before.
You won't regret it.

That 2610 under $500.00 is a deal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pete_Tallahassee said:
I say for $160.00 EXPLODE!
You know you've wasted that much away without thinking before.
You won't regret it.
And I would have!

But the vendor (GPS City) shipped today before I could change the order.
That 2610 under $500.00 is a deal.
Well, That's the other thing. That's what I was going to get at first and then I talked myself into the 2720 for an extra $150 (allowing $100 for a 2GB CF card.)

I'm sure I'll be happy with the 2720 and I'll have it in my hot little hands Monday. Or maybe Friday if FedEx delivers a day ahead of estimate. :D

thanks,
hank

·
Registered
528 Posts
My 2730 just arrived at the door. Think I'll put it in the car and go for a ride. Would take the bike but it's pouring buckets.

I'm sure you'll love your new toy. A least you got off the potty and made a decision. Congratulations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts