BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my ride home today I noticed that the shift/gear indicator was acting funny. It was showing the correct gear but would go blank every so often. I got home, got my things together to do my oil change and when I went to move the bike it would not start. The key turned on, all the checks were done, but there was no Green "N" to allow me to start the bike. I thought, OK, how about pulling in the clutch, nope nothing. Checked the kill switch, kick stand, moved the shifter up and down through a couple of gears, nothing worked. Disconnected the battery, had some lunch, reconnected the battery, still nothing.

Called the dealer and it will hopefully make it to the shop tomorrow. Has anyone seen or heard this before? Anyone have an idea I have not tried? Thankfully I was home when this happened and not somewhere in West puppy nuts.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Did you try to move the bike forth and back while shifting or just pulled the clutch?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, I tried shifting through the gears. I just can't seem to get the computer to recognize what gear the bike is in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It sounds like it may think it's in gear with the kickstand down. Is the kickstand up when you're trying to start it? try it wirh the kickstand up.

Maybe by rolling it backwords with the clutch held in and release the clutch to stop it. SLOWLY.......SLOWLY.....SLOWLY.....Just a shot in the dark

·
Registered
531 Posts
my "S" has simply not started twice, you turn the key, everything lights up, but when you press the start button nothing. fortunately for me when made sure the side stand was up, pulled clutch in, turned ignition off then on the bike started up both times. there was a previous thread on this board or I-BMW were some guy had the same problem and it ended up being moisture in some sensor. i forget what sensor it was but the dealer discovered it when the guy brought the bike in. however, when i experienced my no start problem it was bone dry and hadn't rained for several days.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
In your case, and I never remember the sequence of events, but how you shut down the bike determines how it will start. For example, and this happened to me on my 12S and the K12GT, most times I kill the engine with the bike in 1st and dropping the sidestand. I think if I leave it in 1st, pull up the sidestand, pull in the clutch, it will then start. But, if I was in neutral before killing the bike, etc. MY POINT IS THAT THIS SOMETIMES NOT STARTING IS NORMAL IF YOU ARE OUT OF SEQUENCE. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should be picked up today. I will post when they figure out what the problem is, the whole bike is a computer so it was bound to have a problem. I also heard something about a computer update.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a similar problem when I 1st got my bike. I had no neutral light and the gear indicator would jump from 4 to 5 to 6 while riding in 4th gear. I had no problem starting though.
The problem was the gear indicator switch was out of range. To fix it they just hooked the bike up to the shop computer and the switch was able to relearn the correct values.
That was 3600 miles ago, it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Starting issues

Ivy and JPalmaro are correct. Make certain you have the key turned on first BEFORE you pull the clutch in BEFORE you start ignition, IF IN GEAR. In Neutral wont matter. Had same starting issue on KS. Once I followed the sequence in the KS manual, never had a problem starting again. The dealer didn't even know their was a sequence...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bike was taken up to the dealer Saturday afternoon. They are closed, ofcourse, Sunday and Monday. I am waiting to hear from them today. I would like to have it back before the weekend. Once I get the verdict I will post the outcome.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got my bike back yesterday. It was gone 9 days and the repair order notes that the Potentiometer was replaced. I heard that the shop has seen a couple of new K12GT or K12S with this issue. The good news is that if it happens far away from home the bike is still rideable. It is unknown what causes this issue, I suspect that like any electrical part it is just quits on it own.

Good luck,

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts