BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put about 1k miles on the new airbox and associated software, and my 3k "Flat Spot" is pretty pronounced. I TRY not to run it that low- most of my shifts "around town" seem to happen around 3.5k or 4k. Highway is almost 4k and above. Sometimes I do take it down to 3k, and that "Flat Spot" is REALLY there. I mean, sometime when I experience it, there is NO throttle response at all for a split second or two, which is kinda shocking... I'm not considering it a "crisis"...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
261 Posts
flat spot 3k

Brahma said:
I've put about 1k miles on the new airbox and associated software, and my 3k "Flat Spot" is pretty pronounced. I TRY not to run it that low- most of my shifts "around town" seem to happen around 3.5k or 4k. Highway is almost 4k and above. Sometimes I do take it down to 3k, and that "Flat Spot" is REALLY there. I mean, sometime when I experience it, there is NO throttle response at all for a split second or two, which is kinda shocking... I'm not considering it a "crisis"...

Thoughts?
Welcome to the club. You are lucky it only occurs at 3K. Most anywhere below 4K on my bike, rolling on the throttle gently produces sputter, flat spot for half to one second or when coming back to throttle after a shift.
Seems there is no help for us yet

rusty 2006

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's funny because my bike has never had this flat spot, even at its worst with the old air box or with the new air box and V10 software. Now that I have V11 software it seems perfect at low revs or high.

Around town I ride in the 2000 to 4000 rpm range all the time and this is probably 40% of my riding. Most upshifts are around 3500 to 4000 in this environment and it has always pulled like a tractor with no flat spot, although I don't give it much throttle at these low revs.

Maybe it is just the difference between Australian and US spec bikes? They certainly seem to behave differently according to all the recent posts on bikes with the new air box.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Is every one sure it's the engine / air box response? Maybe your throttle needs adjustment? Or try doing the throttle reset thingy? I've put several thousand on the new box and if I slam the throttle open on mine there's just the slightest, maybe 1/2 second or so hesitation. But I think this is a normal function of the mechanics. No? I certainly don't get any kind of sputtering or deceleration. It goes like crazy. I can't imagine it responding any quicker. It still is a naturally aspirated engine were talking about. And I never experience it just rolling on the throttle going up through the gears. It's only hesitation, and again VERY slight, if I roll it on in the top gears. I don't think even a nitro boost or turbo would be quicker to respond.

However a 1 or 2 second delay? That would be problematic. Think I would have a problem with that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Robert, good point on the throttle reset. When I had my airbox/software upgraded, I think that they forgot to do the TPS reset, and it was running like crapola until I did it.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I had the 3K flat spot in mine, an early '07. That was the only problem I have had so far. The dealership did the airbox and software upgrade, and that seemed to cure it. At first blush, most of us would think a 3K flat spot wouldn't even be a factor since we're all shifting at 4K and above, but if you are going through tight twisties and roll off the throttle then come back on again, that 3K thing is definitely in a bad place.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JamesM said:
Robert, good point on the throttle reset. When I had my airbox/software upgraded, I think that they forgot to do the TPS reset, and it was running like crapola until I did it.
That's good feedback! Thanks. It's dawned on me that maybe I need to do that, and I'm not sure if the dealer did. The GT is up for it's 12k this weekend, so I'll ask.

God I love this forum!

·
Registered
302 Posts
+1 on the twisties, I have about gotten used to it tho. Either stay above that rpm or start rolling on before you get to that critical point where you need some help to lift out of a corner.

It is very slight tho, not a problem once you know it is there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:clap:

Thanks I've got an 07 K1200R, not sure of the production date. Was thinking that the rings hadn't seated yet, nice to know about the software upgrade and new airbox. See it most often riding two up below 4k, in traffic around town. Will report if the software update addresses the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The hesitation at 3K has always been the problem with my early 07.

The problem occurs when you are trying to modulate the throttle at or around that rpm. If you go from 0 to 4000 rpm in one shot you will not run into the problem. Unfortunately when you are trying to modulate the throttle in 1st gear one has to go through the 3k rpm range to get to 4k rpm so unless you are fully on the throttle you will often hit it.

I have the new air box and version 10.something. It did seem to cure the 3k issue for a while but now it comes back on the days that I do not have the high idle and BBS. With the new air box, the hesitation is now fully between the 3k and 4k rpm. So it seems that I can't win for loosing!

Since I am not an aggressive rider in the twisties, my experience has been a bit different. I have found that if you are holding 4k into a corner without constantly upping the gas, the bike decides on its own that you need to drop rpms and automatically gives up 1000 rpms.

The hesitation is not right, but if your dealer finds out how to cure it please let us know because I have been fighting with mine to even get them to replicate the problem!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts