BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

2008 K1200s with 8,000 miles. I had the first bad fuel gauge replaced mid 2019 under warranty (it was reading inaccurately). The 2nd gauge lasted less than a month... simply shows zero reading. Had this one replaced again by the dealer under warranty in November timeframe. Rode the bike this week and it too has failed, showing zero rating. Both replacements worked fine from the dealer, and then upon next ride were dead.

Since I got the bike in Dec 2018, it has only drank ethanol free gas as I understand BMW has stated the ethanol gas in the US causes these failures.

Is this just how it is, or is the dealer doing something wrong on these? I’m thinking to just get some VW trouble light black out tape and go on the trip odometer from here on out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
291 Posts
BMW said they were going to cover the fuel strip for 12 more years. That time might be very near or have run out. It is worth a check. There are no plans for a serious retro fix. Tape and keeping an eye on miles like the old days will be the future for those bikes with strips.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts