BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 49 liter top case for my 2007 GT. I want to drill holes to install a luggage rack and realize that this top case is double walled.
Does anyone know if the inside wall is removable? I'm concerned that if I drill though both walls then attach the rack, the walls may collapse and not be structurally sound. Has anyone had any experience with this?

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Maybe heat would help?

BGT-Rider said:
I have the 49 liter top case for my 2007 GT. I want to drill holes to install a luggage rack and realize that this top case is double walled.
Does anyone know if the inside wall is removable? I'm concerned that if I drill though both walls then attach the rack, the walls may collapse and not be structurally sound. Has anyone had any experience with this?
I wouldn't worry about hurting the structural integrity by drilling a few small holes, even through two layers. That case is bombproof.

See this short thread for a couple of pictures of a HD rack on a BMW top case.

I spent about half an hour trying to remove the inner layer of the top case prior to having it painted. It appears to be held together mainly with double-sided rubber tape. Once you get the passenger rest off, there's nothing obvious holding the inner and outer shells together. I pried around a little while and managed to start to separate the tape, but I got worried I was flexing the plastic to much and stopped. Heat might help soften the adhesive.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Ditto on putting anything on top of it. Don't think I'd do it. You'd be asking for trouble. :yeow:

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Do a search among the posts two years ago - there was a guy who fixed the rack on top of the case. There were some pics attached. He lived in Florida, AFAIK.

·
Registered
478 Posts
easyman05 said:
Do a search among the posts two years ago - there was a guy who fixed the rack on top of the case. There were some pics attached. He lived in Florida, AFAIK.
If I remember correctly he used the ultra chrome rack that Harley sells for their boxes. After he put the chrome thing on top of his box, Harley dudes started waving to him.. He also got an overwelming urge to drink beer and and wear a do-rag under his skull cap helmet. :teeth

·
Registered
115 Posts
BGT-Rider said:
From an aero POV, you can do it but what happens in high lateral winds at high speeds.

The force against the plane of whatever you add on top is multiplied times the distance you are adding vertically. Remember the warning about riding with the top case at speeds over 112 in the owners manual? They are covering their butts. You are adding lift/drag above that stated limitation. :teeth

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
fas said:
From an aero POV, you can do it but what happens in high lateral winds at high speeds.

The force against the plane of whatever you add on top is multiplied times the distance you are adding vertically. Remember the warning about riding with the top case at speeds over 112 in the owners manual? They are covering their butts. You are adding lift/drag above that stated limitation. :teeth
Yeah, but you could at least salvage the trunk rack and use it for a fire grate. :D

Mack

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
BTDT, with the HD rack. Drilling through both layers isn't a problem.

It works great for light, soft items like rain gear, winter gloves, maps etc. But too much weight will not only affect the bike's handling, but will eventually crack the top case lid. I'll most likely repair the cracks, fill the holes, and paint it to match the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Ken, have you run that thing through any serious cross winds yet? I hit some stuff in the 4 corners region last week that I'm sure with that kind of load would have either blown me over or ripped it right off. 35-45 mph sustained with 60 + mph gusts. I had to get off the road it was so bad.

How many miles total have you put on that thing loaded? If it's a lot it gives me great confidence in the 49 liter top case.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
That pic was taken on a cross-county trip where I had two weeks worth of my gear, a week's worth of my wife's gear, and enough tools to do an oil change and tire change for a friend who was competing in the Iron Butt Rally. Very soon after that pic I started shipping stuff home to lighten the load. It carried everything without complaint, but the bike felt very heavy and was a handful at slow speeds.

I hit some pretty good cross winds through Oklahoma this weekend. I had the top case on and a large soft-sided cooler strapped to the back seat, but nothing on the rack. Most of my 41K miles are with the top case and both bags loaded, and extra stuff strapped on only if I need it. But coming off an LT means that even a fully loaded GT is still much lighter overall.

Generally, the GT handles wind well if you just let it be a bit loose so it can self-correct. But there is a limit. If you were uncomfortable continuing on in your conditions, then it was time to stop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts