BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer was supposed to have my topcase ready for me @ the last service visit.
Well, that didn't happen, but he did have one that was ordered for an RT owner who cancelled at the last minute.

He told me the topcases are made to fit both bikes and I said sure, mount it up.
Thing is, when I got home, I was looking thru the manual that came with the topcase and noticed there are some "protection films" that are germain to the GT setup ONLY.

He didn't have any since it was ordered for the RT. ? (he said)
He has since ordered and sent them to me for installation.

The manual says, (really a bitch when english is the second laguage for install) to remove the Topcase plate, install the films, and then re-mount the Topcase plate. ???

For those who installed your own Topcase is this the process ???
I know this seems kinda petty, but I want the protectors to stay on and not sratch my rack frame with the Topcase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I also saw that in the manual provided with the 49L top case. I have had my top case on for just over 1,000 miles now and never bothered with those protective films. There is no difference in the GT or RT top case. The protective films are not provided at all. I have also had mine painted to match and have had no problems. Just slide it into the luggage rack and lock it down. You're good to go.

JB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Jeff....
are the SIDE CASES exactly the same as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
BMKrider said:
Yep - they fit both bikes.
i had thought so...
i appreciate the info
i'll be ordering the Kathy's bags to go in them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i had thought so...
i appreciate the info
i'll be ordering the Kathy's bags to go in them.
Greg,

I'll let others add their two cents as well, but I ordered Kathy's bags for my RT and quite frankly was very disappointed with the level of detailing for the price.

The BMW case liners on the other hand as installed on my GT (top and side cases) are absolutely top-notch. Beautiful detailing, well engineered and constructed. I particularly appreciate the integrated bag "stiffeners", rubber bottoms, span of the zipper openings and assorted outside pockets including two zippered ones per case. These are worth far more than what Bob's charges for the Kathy's product, but aren't priced accordingly.

Oh, and did I mention how classy they look when you hand them to the bellman at your five-star hotel? :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
Greg,

I'll let others add their two cents as well, but I ordered Kathy's bags for my RT and quite frankly was very disappointed with the level of detailing for the price.

The BMW case liners on the other hand as installed on my GT (top and side cases) are absolutely top-notch. Beautiful detailing, well engineered and constructed. I particularly appreciate the integrated bag "stiffeners", rubber bottoms, span of the zipper openings and assorted outside pockets including two zippered ones per case. These are worth far more than what Bob's charges for the Kathy's product, but aren't priced accordingly.

Oh, and did I mention how classy they look when you hand them to the bellman at your five-star hotel? :thumb:

Same. Have the BMW bags for all three. Absolutely top notch quality! Perfect fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
bmw bags are better

but.....
the thing with kathy's bags is that, WHEN YOU FILL them.... they take up ALL the space in the bags..... but BMW's STIFF bags do NOT fully fill that space
that's why you can get A LOT MORE STUFF in Kathy's Bags... than with BMW ones...

i've had Kathy's Bags for my '96 R1100RT, 2002 K1200GT, and 2005 R1200GS....
and, while the quality may not SEEM perfect.... they never failed me and ALWAYS allowed me to MAXIMIZE the use of the cases
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Greg,

You must be a very heavily laden traveller to want to maximize the use of what can only be a few cubic inches (if even that in these particular cases, no odd shapes).

Or just CHEAP!!!! :eek:

Kidding, I know you're not cheap. Any guy with a GT AND an MV Agusta in his garage ain't cheap!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
Greg,

You must be a very heavily laden traveller to want to maximize the use of what can only be a few cubic inches (if even that in these particular cases, no odd shapes).

Or just CHEAP!!!! :eek:

Kidding, I know you're not cheap. Any guy with a GT AND an MV Agusta in his garage ain't cheap!
i have ALWAYS had a problem with UNDERpacking for any trip
so... with my wife and me... we HAVE to be able to maximize carrying capacity
i know that it is A disease :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
also...
kathy's bags fold up into NO SPACE AT ALL when not being used
and the bmw one... which holds it shape so well, uses much to space on my shelf when not in use
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Motorwerk said:
Does anyone have the Cee Bailey's liners?

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bags/bmwbagsel.html

I've read they are pretty good as well except, it doesn't look like they have a shoulder strap - if that's important to you.
I do, and am very happy with the quality of the bags, they do come with a shoulder strap also. While I have not owned either of the other two bag types, I would highly recommend the CeeBaily bags, FWIW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
bmw bags are better

but.....
the thing with kathy's bags is that, WHEN YOU FILL them.... they take up ALL the space in the bags..... but BMW's STIFF bags do NOT fully fill that space
that's why you can get A LOT MORE STUFF in Kathy's Bags... than with BMW ones...

i've had Kathy's Bags for my '96 R1100RT, 2002 K1200GT, and 2005 R1200GS....
and, while the quality may not SEEM perfect.... they never failed me and ALWAYS allowed me to MAXIMIZE the use of the cases
Greg, Craig, I must be missing something here. My BMW bags are as closely molded to the shape of the panniers and especially the top case as you can get. They IMHO were designed to "fully utilize" the inner space. Couldn't get any closer. I think we are splitting hairs here...Let's look at the real issue with the Beemer bags, it's cost. Later,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
I also have the CeeBaileys, my second set (RT first). They do have a shoulder strap which we never use and they are $20 cheaper than Kathy's bags. Same quality from what I've seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
BeemerDude said:
Greg, Craig, I must be missing something here. My BMW bags are as closely molded to the shape of the panniers and especially the top case as you can get. They IMHO were designed to "fully utilize" the inner space. Couldn't get any closer. I think we are splitting hairs here...Let's look at the real issue with the Beemer bags, it's cost. Later,
if i brought a FULL-FILLED kathy's bag to you...
you'd see what i meant... they easily fit a lot more because of how PLIABLE they are

the bmw bags are of higher quality.... no on disputes that
but, kathy's bags are much much more useful if you are trying to pack as much as you can
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top