BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,553 Posts
There is a long list of jobs that were done to get it running. This bike has a 50/50 chance of being okay or a looser. So many years not in use and has assisted ABS to boot.

· Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There is a long list of jobs that were done to get it running. This bike has a 50/50 chance of being okay or a looser. So many years not in use and has assisted ABS to boot.
Yea, that caught my eye, too. Mechanical things like to operate and when left in place tend to deteriorate in other ways. I think that's what happened to this bike not to mention that there's no reference to the tires being changed out. I love the Bumblebee paint scheme though and if I had stoooopid money I might be tempted to buy it to put on static display in my slope-side home in Aspen. Full disclosure; I don't have stoooopid money nor do I own a home in Aspen. :(

· Registered
145 Posts

Oh what a Thrill, Spanky! The ultimate project Bike! I'm already removing the engine and drive train in my head!

Yeah, you're going to have "Shelf Life" issues and deteriorated rubbers and such..... but if you have the space, to put another bike in the garage and a reliable dealer for parts, a GS 911.....and the will. Go for it!

These Bikes will hit the classic collection soon, and finding Cheeseboards and Bumble Bees with original engines and trainees .....big money!

I see it sold! well, maybe next time!

Thanks for the Sharing and the fantasy!

· Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
110 Posts
It's a lovely bike I seem to have one just like it in the garage. When I got mine it was ten years old and had about 2,600 miles on it. Everything went well and no issues from the extended sit time; now the odometer is at 85,000 +. Maybe this buyer will have the same results.

· Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a lovely bike I seem to have one just like it in the garage. When I got mine it was ten years old and had about 2,600 miles on it. Everything went well and no issues from the extended sit time; now the odometer is at 85,000 +. Maybe this buyer will have the same results.
Me as well. Bought mine used in '08 with 3.4K on the clock and never had an issue when I traded it in at 33K. That said, I did have the dealer do the cam chain anti-jump upgrade done as cost (thank you BMWNA) well after it was out of warranty. Oh, and don't pay any attention to those Fried_Chicken people. :p

· Registered
201 Posts
My first k12s was an 05 that I put 60k miles on and it was near flawless mechanically , none of the issues that get magnified on the internet.
My current k1200s now has 50k miles and so far no issues to speak off, reliable and fun, what more can you ask for !

I think there’s way more good stories about the 05 and 06 that you don’t read about.
In hindsight I’m Glad I bought my 05 and was one of the most reliable and fun bike’s I’ve owned period, I also keeped it well maintained and didn’t baby it either.

Well bought for a bumblebee thats practically new still, new owner should be enjoying that bike for many years!

· Registered
2005 K1200S
32 Posts
My first k12s was an 05 that I put 60k miles on and it was near flawless mechanically , none of the issues that get magnified on the internet.
My current k1200s now has 50k miles and so far no issues to speak off, reliable and fun, what more can you ask for !

I think there’s way more good stories about the 05 and 06 that you don’t read about.
In hindsight I’m Glad I bought my 05 and was one of the most reliable and fun bike’s I’ve owned period, I also keeped it well maintained and didn’t baby it either.

Well bought for a bumblebee thats practically new still, new owner should be enjoying that bike for many years!
I like to hear about some of the good experiences people have had with the 05-06 models. I hope I can say the same with the one I picked up with 2700 miles on it. if I can get 40k miles out of it without to many issues I will be happy. Now I will have to decide which bike to take on some of the slightly longer rides, either the BMW K1200S or my 2013 FJR1300

· Registered
174 Posts
I like to hear about some of the good experiences people have had with the 05-06 models. I hope I can say the same with the one I picked up with 2700 miles on it. if I can get 40k miles out of it without to many issues I will be happy. Now I will have to decide which bike to take on some of the slightly longer rides, either the BMW K1200S or my 2013 FJR1300
For road trips, stick with the Yammie until you get a feel for the beemer. Use the k-bike only for "shake down" rides, i.e., day trips, Saturday morning blasts, etc. Once you're fairly confident, then flip a coin.

That said, I don't practice what I preach. I bought my used '09 K1300S two years ago over the internet from a private seller. I flew to Seattle, bought the bike, and rode it back home to Dallas in 3 days. :) Oh, and I accidentally left my phone home, so if anything happened, I'd truly be stuck. There are no pay phones anymore. Talk about scary times in the wild west!

· Registered
201 Posts
Agree with above.
You will most likely be more comfortable on the FJR for longer trips, however once you get familiar with the “ K “ it’s going to be hard not to ride it.
I owned a GS which is a great bike thinking I would alternate between the two however come the weekend my K1200s was always first choice, ended up selling the GS due to not riding it much.
These K’s bikes are truly amazing and really nothing else equivalent out there in same category imo.

Hang on to them as long as you can, fix them when needed to extend their life, maintain them well and enjoy what is truly a one of kind production run for BMW.
I consider myself privileged to own one (three).

· Premium Member
708 Posts
I have done lots of touring on my k12R. I’m 6’2” and have done a 600 mile day and several 300+ days. I was also 66 when I did that and my point is the k12R is a great touring bike. It’s incredibly smooth and effortless to ride. I know the bigger bikes also are but don’t discount the K

· Registered
2005 K1200S
32 Posts
Yes the FJR is comfy and fast. But the little bit of riding on the K1200s before the snow hit definitely got me excited. However choosing what bike to ride is getting harder as you can see. I do ride them all. The FJR is currently in Phoenix waiting for me to bring her back home to Idaho
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
2005 K1200S
32 Posts
:) Oh, and I accidentally left my phone home, so if anything happened, I'd truly be stuck. There are no pay phones anymore. Talk about scary times in the wild west!
Thats funny. Not sure how old you are (Im 68) but if you are close to my age remember we used to do that all the time in the 70's and 80's. However there were pay phones. I still bring my Atlas and study my routes.
3 days to Dallas, from Seattle, you were flying. I have done a few trips like that. Back in 75 with my 74 Z1 I did San Diego to Minneapolis hitting I-35 in Texas (where we saw the only cop) then up to Minneapolis in 36 hours.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts