BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed some light on the actual reason(s) that such a light viscosity oil is the spec for this motor?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone shed some light on the actual reason(s) that such a light viscosity oil is the spec for this motor?????
Newbie here so can't answer directly, but there have been several discussions about 'oil' stuff on the UK Forum - www.eurokclub.bike - and this post I spotted earlier might partly answer your question:

"Blimey boys if you lot are going to waffle on at least add some history to the thread.....

From September 2004 to 2010 the oil spec was 10/40 the clutch had been an issue for years so you 1300 owners don’t get all sniffy because even that had been around long enough to also have a problem.

In an attempt to sort the clutch problem BM started to suggest!!!! 5/40 in 2010 the then problem was the camchain rattle at start up because the tensioner would not hold 5wt oil, BM then did the recall upgrade which included 1300’s and also added the jump guard which in reality is a solid block of plastic and by 2011 5/40 was set in stone.

As I’ve said before Vines volunteered to fix mine (clutch) so clearly their were other things going on apart from oil, first attempt lasted 6 weeks the second has lasted 10 years.

As for oil, I’m certainly not going into the pros and cons of how my supplies turn up on my door step but I’ve used both Silkolene 5/40 and the BM option and unable to tell the difference I haven’t asked the bike
:)

For 1200 owners the upgraded camchain tensioner is black."

·
Registered
426 Posts
I rarely (never) get involved in oil threads but a recent change from 5W to 10W is worth a mention here.
My 2016 1300R had full synthetic 5W-40 Castrol (as recommended by BMW) in it when I bought it (used at 5000km’s) and had a noisy cam chain rattle when hot, very noticeable on downhill deceleration. I changed the oil recently to Penrite 10W-40 and the cam chain noise vanished. I rode exactly the same roads to compare. Additionally, the transmission shifts better on the up shift when using the clutch. With 5W-40 the upshifts were sudden and clunky, so I always used the quick shifter, but now the shifts are sweet with the clutch (hot or cold) although the clunk into first is still there however I very rarely engage 1st at a standstill If I can help it.
I believe the slightly heavier oil has markedly improved the characteristics of my clutch and engine, and won’t be going back to a 5W-40 anytime soon.

Reactions: Beech

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I live it a large temp range climatic region....-5 to 41c. I think the 5w is really about emissions control and a very slight fuel efficiency push. 5w is probably OK in european climate that rarely goes above 25c but here in Oz it is way to thin. I have run Penrite 10w/40 ester since new in 2015 with no issues so far. Probably a bit think in the winter on startup but OK when warmed up. I also run this oil in my S1000r with no issues (so far)....this bike runs crazy hot all the time unless the weather is cool (below 15c) and your travelling quick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts