BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else find that the official BMW trickle charger no longer works once they did the 6.0 upgrade? Accessory socket still works fine but when I plug in charger light never gets off amber. Prior to software upgrade the thing worked fine. No battery issues yet, but it's still warm. Love to get back on a maintenance charge before winter...

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
logoguy said:
Anyone else find that the official BMW trickle charger no longer works once they did the 6.0 upgrade? Accessory socket still works fine but when I plug in charger light never gets off amber. Prior to software upgrade the thing worked fine. No battery issues yet, but it's still warm. Love to get back on a maintenance charge before winter...
Not sure about using the 'socket', but no problems with release 6.0 and hooking the charger directly to the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same experience here

Following 6.? upgrade on '05 KS, the BMW charger I was forced to buy for Canbus-monitored acc. outlet no longer works. Runs fine through the fused pigtail I ran direct to battery (since my Gerbings wouldn't run through the 'improved' outlet) but then so does my earlier charger. BMW Motorrad needs some software help, me thinks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
logoguy said:
Anyone else find that the official BMW trickle charger no longer works once they did the 6.0 upgrade?...
I think it happened much earlier than the 6.0 upgrade. My observation is that the charger works fine through one and only one charge cycle and then shuts down. Hopefully it will be fixed in 6.xx or 7.xx.

·
Registered
236 Posts
yep

logoguy said:

Yep! Won't work anymore...great planning by BMW. Also, never did work on my 06GT. Since this crap happens, a standard feature of the bike should be a plug that is wired directly to the battery since we ALL have to add it anyway. Geez! You'd expect a little more out of near $20K bikes...

Doug

·
Registered
251 Posts
Apparently the canbus bikes are restricted to putting 5amps through the socket. So Gerbings won't work either.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It works if you follow this sequence: Unplug charger from wall.
turn on bike ignition (not start)
Plug charger into acc. socket on bike
Plug charger into wall outlet
Turn off bike ignition, remove key.
The charging cycle will now start so you will see two lights (green for the power on and yellow or is it red? Its the first light showing start of charging cycle).

·
Registered
27 Posts
cesarb said:
It works if you follow this sequence: Unplug charger from wall.
turn on bike ignition (not start)
Plug charger into acc. socket on bike
Plug charger into wall outlet
Turn off bike ignition, remove key.
The charging cycle will now start so you will see two lights (green for the power on and yellow or is it red? Its the first light showing start of charging cycle).

And don't forget to....

release all of the air in the front tire only

turn left mirror to the full right postiion

press horn button 6 times for 1 second each then once for 10 seconds

while standing on your left foot only

with one eye closed.

that just about ought to do it

·
Registered
236 Posts
are you sure?

zzrman said:
Well it works fine on my 05 KS which had the 6.0 upgrade done about 5 months ago.
Are you sure you have the 6.0? We didn't get it in the US until a few months ago and there has been NO reported ability to use the outlet for a charger after the 6.0 update. I have an early S that worked until the 6.0 and my new GT never has worked.

You are the "chosen" one my friend, if you have 6.0.

Doug

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
charger issue solved

Got inspired this morning and found an extra male plug and wire from all the extra stuff Gerbings sent and a female accessory plug wired to the alligator clips of of an old trickle charger. Snipped, soldered and spliced 'em together and plugged my new charger right into the Gerbings fused direct battery connector I had already installed. Battery charger showed a fully charged (green) light again in a couple of hours. Finally! To hell with the accessory socket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts