BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I decided to take a ride this morning. Uh oh, the rear tire air pressure is way down. Sure enough, the flimsy-looking staple stuck in my ALMOST NEW rear tire was the culprit, and it was a mistake to pull it out. So I filled the tire with Stopleak and headed for the dealership to have them throw on a new tire before my ride. What the heck, I could have a cigar while I waited and it would be almost a good thing.

I got to the corner of my street and stopped, and decided I had plenty of room to beat the cars coming up the hill from my left. When I started out, the engine was still cold and I didn't have nearly enough engine RPMs up to handle the hill, so the bike stalled almost halfway thru the right hand turn. It stalled and jerked, and the roadway was falling away from me on the right side due to the crown/slope. I couldn't get my foot down to stop the bike from falling over. It laid down on its right side, downhill, and I couldn't pick it up. A guy came by and stopped, and together we got the bike upright so I could look at the damage.

The rear brake lever is bent, the main fairing panel and the nose fairing are heavily scratched, the brake lever ball is ground down, the mirror is scratched, and the add-on handguard is scratched. Luckily, the system cases were on, and I had put the rubber guards on it. The guards are toast, but the case looks OK.

The preliminary estimate for paint repair and parts replacement is about $600. First time the bike has ever been down. It's a black 2003 K1200RS, bought new.

Well, it was my fault and no one else's. My insurance deductible is $500, so I'm not going to make a claim.

My back is tweaked from trying to pick up the bike, and it's embarrassing to even think about the dumb thing I did. Plus, I scratched up MY BABY. This is kind of therapy for me, writing about it.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
hey its just paint and thats all.......just think if it were a hit or something and the baby was crushed....its just a drop.and they make paint every day, they dont make new bones and skin at the local dealer!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey buddy - I'm sorry that happened to you. At least it's all cosmetic and no one is injured other than a back tweak. It could have been worse and it's good you're OK. Don't sweat the small stuff. Fix the bike and get some more accessories. Buying parts to improve the performance will improve your humor and make the bike faster. Get a Rhine West chip and avoid that unsightly slow warmup process. See, things are looking up. Adios, JCL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your OK

As long as you are ok and here to tell the tale . The rest is replaceable and s**t happens.
Been there done that got the t shirt , fortunately on a cheaper bike 750 Norton .
regards Frank :ricky

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad your ok

Just glad to hear you are ok.
Have the bike fixed. Its money well spent. Stuff like this happens - your baby will be back to perfect in no time. So will you. I think we have all dropped one at one time or another.
Just smile and Ride On

Best Wishes,
JD

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Major bummer, Sir Chuck.. Join the club.. feel the burn. ;-) Glad you're OK.

BYW.. if you get a chance you may want to check out Skirt's Picking up a Dropped Bike web page at

http://pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

She's a K12'er.. Is about 5' tall...weighs under 140lbs and she can pick up her fully loaded KRS with ease... Wish I'd seen her technique before I dropped a loner RS in Texas a few years ago... I couldn't pick it up either...

·
Registered
108 Posts
No worries..

Hey Chuck...sorry to hear about the drop...but at least it wasn't on top of your leg. Second day I got my brandy spanking new 04 GT..I dropped her at the corner of my house...with my wife/brother in law/friends(2), and their wives all watching....what a humbling experience...yes they are heavy babies. Once you get her back as good as new, the burn will go away, but the experience will make you an even better rider. Glad you're ok.
Don't worry...be happy.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Glad you're ok. The bike can easily be repaired. We've all done dumb things occasionally--at least I have. Writing about it helps, doesn't it?

Ken

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oops!

Chuck,

Glad to hear you're o.k. and your repair bill isn't too bad.

I dropped my old GS up near Saddleback peak, and I was real glad I had those system cases on, they saved the cylinder heads on the boxer.

Take care.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Chuck,

SO glad you didn't have worse damage. All of this will pass. Everyone is right....get some new gizmos and goodies, kick back, give yourself a break. Also, and most important...realize that you are doing a cool service to us all by not sweating sharing your so-called dumb experience. We have all been there....or will soon. Oh man, could I tell you my stories...but another time. Glad you are okay. Cheers, and thanks. Johnny.

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
If you spend some time you can do a pretty good job of touchup with those little paint kit the dealer sells. Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oops

Don't beat yourself up over this one. Good outcome, no personal injury (pride and self-esteem heal quickly).

Bummer on the staple in the rear - how many times has that happened to me? And the uphill, off-camber, cold start, traffic mishap- well, things happen and we always wish for the moment back.

All hearts are with you here.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Always remember that plastic and metal are much easier (and less painful) to repair than flesh and bone. Glad you weren't injured.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Chuck
One way to lick the staple problem is to get your tires at Cycle Gear and purchase their road hazard guarantee. I used my guarantee last month. I got 100% replacement(includes mount & balance). Only cost to me was purchase of a guarantee for the new tire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of my riding buddies dropped his in my driveway. Frustrating, but a great excuse for a new color. It looks awesome now, much better than the original "dolphin blue." Lemonade from lemons and all that.

As others have said, the good news is your OK

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Most of us have dropped their baby, so this makes you just more part of the club...
Dropped mine while trying to park it as close as possible to the wall in my garage. I ended up between the wall and the K12, so when I turned my butt touched the wall, giving me that little push forward and losing the K12 - I dropped it on its side as gentle as I could. While it was happening the adrenalin got as high as my eyeballs - I stepped over the K12 in one giant step, grabbed the handlebars and put it upright in one motion - smoke coming out of my nose....

Still have to touch up my paint, but the winter is not over yet, so there is time left...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pirate said:
BYW.. if you get a chance you may want to check out Skirt's Picking up a Dropped Bike web page at

http://pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Everybody should check this out and MEMORIZE it. You'll need it when you don't have a computer around to look it up. The first time I dropped my R-bike (I was a newbie, knew I would drop it, so I bought an old bike) I had a sore back the next day. Then I started reading the attached link and other descriptions of how to pick up a down bike and haven't had a problem since then. I picked mine up 2 or 3 more times and then I put new valve covers on it and haven't dropped it since.

Here's a story for you guys. An internet buddy came down to my house to get his center stand welded (yes, they break). We were on the side stand taking the center stand off but got the wrong bolt loose. When I tapped out the last centerstand bolt from the uphill side the sidestand collapsed and the bike fell ON TOP OF HIM. I ran around and started to reach for the bike forward to pick it up. I stopped mid-reach, took about 1.5 seconds to turn around and picked up the bike (R1100RT) with my back to it in one smoothe motion. He had a bruise on his arm where the clutch lever poked him but was otherwise OK. It sure got me moving fast and I was glad I remembered how to pick up a bike safely and quickly.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Registered
828 Posts
I feel the pain...

I feel the pain... glad that you are doing well. I hope the back gets better soon. Sorry to hear about your baby, we all have shared similar pain.

ONON-
Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts