BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking my S for its 600 mile maintenance tomorrow morning. Going to ask them about any recalls and service bulletins. And defenetly asked them to see if I can get a Fuel Injection/Computer flash if something new is out... I know now mine needs it.

Any other issues/troubles should I be looking out for and asking them to check?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Speaking from the KR side of the fence, I would be a little weary about letting them do the software upgrade. I still am not satisfied and I have had them do it twice. Personally, the bike ran better before they start screwing with it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
the 6.0 upgrade worked fine on my bike and cured it from running rough at speeds below 20mph and idling betwen 1400-1500 rpms. it took me 4-6 trys to get the bike to start in the morning and the 6.0 upgrade got rid of that issue also. i'm very satisfied with the results of the upgrade on my bike but i would recommend against getting the upgrade if your not experiencing the same problems i was with high idle, hard start and slow speed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
During my 600 mile service, they changed the front brake banjo bolt due to the recall.
The 6.0 upgrade was also performed. No problems so far...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6.0?

Dropped the bike off yesterday, work is been performed as I type this.

Service Manager tells me that there are absolutely no computer upgrades available for the KS other than an upgrade to the software that checks and warns of valve clearance checks?. I asked about the so called 6.0 Upgrade and he said "have not heard of it!!".

So I am now wondering........

·
Registered
236 Posts
what dealer

ATLDB said:
Dropped the bike off yesterday, work is been performed as I type this.

Service Manager tells me that there are absolutely no computer upgrades available for the KS other than an upgrade to the software that checks and warns of valve clearance checks?. I asked about the so called 6.0 Upgrade and he said "have not heard of it!!".

So I am now wondering........
You going to Blue Moon or BMW Atlanta...?

Sportrider...didn't you get the 6.0 at our favorite dealer?

Doug

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bue Moon

BMW of Atlanta and super duper completely out of the way for in so I go to Blue Moon.

·
Registered
236 Posts
huh?

ATLDB said:
BMW of Atlanta and super duper completely out of the way for in so I go to Blue Moon.
Sorry to be slow but I don't understand your response. I've been off my medicine for a while ;) So that I can understand:

For your 600 update, is the bike going to Blue Moon or...
BMW ATL

And where you are taking, are these the guys that have never heard of the update, yes/no.

Thanks for helping me understand...

Doug

·
Registered
149 Posts
ATLDB said:
Taking my S for its 600 mile maintenance tomorrow morning...see if I can get a Fuel Injection/Computer flash if something new is out...
I had my 600 mi service today and had the 6.0 software update. Put about 150 mi on it afterwards. Bike runs a lot better -- much less throttle snatch and low-rpm hunting, more stable idle. I strongly recommend getting the 6.0 update.

BTW you can usually tell if your bike has the 6.0 update by the LCD gear indicator -- if it says "0" for neutral, it's pre-6.0. If it says "N" for neutral, it's 6.0 or later.

·
Registered
236 Posts
sorry, incorrect!

joema said:
BTW you can usually tell if your bike has the 6.0 update by the LCD gear indicator -- if it says "0" for neutral, it's pre-6.0. If it says "N" for neutral, it's 6.0 or later.
I have an original (non-updated) 05 K/S and neutral is "N"...not "0"...unless you mean it the other way around. But, I have never heard of "0" for a gear indication and I've never heard of any BMW product that did that. Perhaps you can check it out and advise.

Doug

·
Registered
149 Posts
Doug maybe there's confusion over the big green "N" neutral indicator vs the LCD "N" or "0" indicator? I'm referring to the LCD gear indicator.

My 06 K1200S, mfg date 01/06, was not delivered with the 6.0 software. The LCD gear indicator showed "0" for neutral. I had the software updated today, and the LCD gear indicator now shows "N" for neutral. Many other K12S owners have reported likewise.

There do seem a few exceptions, where apparently verified 6.0 updates happened yet the LCD gear indicator still shows "0" for neutral. I saw one post (can't remember where) implying BMW considers that a bug and will correct it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BLUE moon

Loggiebone said:
I have an original (non-updated) 05 K/S and neutral is "N"...not "0"...unless you mean it the other way around. But, I have never heard of "0" for a gear indication and I've never heard of any BMW product that did that. Perhaps you can check it out and advise.

Doug
The bike is at blue Moon

BMW of Atlanta is too far away for me.

n green on top of LCD Dash. zero When in neutral on LCD.

I will go get it tomorrow,I ask about the 6.0 upgrade. I will let you all know what happens

·
Registered
236 Posts
Rhetorical question...

joema said:
Doug maybe there's confusion over the big green "N" neutral indicator vs the LCD "N" or "0" indicator? I'm referring to the LCD gear indicator.

My 06 K1200S, mfg date 01/06, was not delivered with the 6.0 software. The LCD gear indicator showed "0" for neutral. I had the software updated today, and the LCD gear indicator now shows "N" for neutral. Many other K12S owners have reported likewise.

There do seem a few exceptions, where apparently verified 6.0 updates happened yet the LCD gear indicator still shows "0" for neutral. I saw one post (can't remember where) implying BMW considers that a bug and will correct it.
If the update is for fuel mapping and valve clearance reading issues, wonder why the gear neutral indicator would have anything to do with this mess.....? Weird!

Doug

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bike picked up

Normal stuff for the 600 was performed plus:

1- ABS bolt recall was performed. RECALL

2- Upgrade to the software that does valve read outs. SERVICE BULLETIN

3- They told me there is no such thing as a 6.0 upgrade for the US . "ONLY" European bikes. The any S made after 03/2005 has the latest computer software, mine was 04/2005. Although honestly the bike seems to be running smoother.......

I picked it up today but rode it home, had no time to hit the mountains yet. More later.

$140 with taxes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ATLDB said:
...3- They told me there is no such thing as a 6.0 upgrade for the US . "ONLY" European bikes. The any S made after 03/2005 has the latest computer software, mine was 04/2005...
That's clearly incorrect, based on our current understanding. My KS was made on 01/06, yet apparently had pre-6.0 software. Many U.S. K1200S bikes have been field updated to 6.0, and usually report improved fueling.

We've seen before/after dyno and air-fuel ratio graphs, taken on the same bike before and after the 6.0 update. It seems to confirm a change in fueling.

Re any bike made after 03/05 having latest engine management software, that's obviously impossible -- the revised ECU software wasn't even developed at that time -- it didn't exist.

I'd suggest following up with your dealer in a cordial but persistent manner, escalating as necessary until you get a detailed, authoritative technical answer. BMW has no shortage of technical escalation resources -- internal databases, email, phone, factory tech reps, etc.

It's not just helping yourself, but every other K1200S or R customer serviced through that dealer. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ATLDB when you go back to Blue Moon ask to speak with Carey. The upgrade may be called something else in BMW service jargon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts