BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my friends... Got the 7.0 upgrade today at Touring Sport in Greenville, SC and.....as I type this... I am one happy bastage. I rode for a couple of hours after she got juiced and here’s my initial impressions..

Before-7.0: Idle was all over the place varying from 800-1500 after the bike was warmed up. Sometimes it would just die.. moving or sitting still. It would sputter, gurgle, spit..Embarrassing at stop lights.

After 7.0: The erratic idling is gone.. No matter what I did today.. bonsai fast or old-codger slow, when I came to a stop she idled at a perfectly steady 1100rpm...No gurgling. Smooth as Angelina Jolie’s butt after a long, hot shower.

Before-7.0: The bike backfired enough that it was embarrassing.. especially when downshifting from hi revs or any engine braking. Hated to have anyone riding close behind me.. not that that happens often. Doh!

After 7.0: The bike still backfires some but to a much lessor degree... I’d guess 30-45% less. Not perfect but an improvement. Could it be better?? Yes... but I didn’t cringe and salivate like Pavlov’s dog every time I chopped the throttle on the way home.
Before-7.0: Throttle action was very touchy.. Action was razor quick which made it very hard to be smooth in speed transitions especially when going fast at high rpm..or when the bike was very hot. At times the bike would accelerate and decelerate as if Katherine Hepburn were at the controls.

After 7.0: The word that comes to mind is.. “linear”. The power-band is much smoother and user friendly. No problem holding a steady speed on or off throttle.. None of the choppiness that I had before.. zero.. nada.. none. I don’t know how many of you have installed a Rhinewest chip in your RS, but the difference is just like that...night and day linear smoothness. The new power-band has fewer highs and lows in the 2K-7000rpm range.. it’s just about perfect. I had to keep the speeds down on the way home as the Blue Meanies were out in force so I didn’t do any running in the higher rev range..

The install took about an hour and since I had complained to BMWNA and already had a case file with them ..they did the install at no charge. If I had NOT complained prior to my visit I would have had to pay for the install. .. and I would have been pissed.

It's a little too soon to say that all the previous problems are gone for good, but it's obvious, at least to me that this new 7.0 software is a vast improvement over the 6.0. It is almost everything I was hoping for. I’ll sleep good tonight.

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Glad to hear you are nearer to being a Jolly Roger. Hope to get my GT upgraded next week.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Congrats!

Did you pay for the upgrade?

TIA

·
Registered
293 Posts
Jerry - From the workshop pics I see you are running a non standard muffler. That suggests that 7.0 is able to handle some level of non standard mods. May I be so bold Sir Pirate as to enquire what non standard engine related bits your KS is running with the upgrade 7.0.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike is stock except for the slip-on.. at this point.. I have no plans for any engine mods other than the Rhinewest Chip when it's available.

Lenz said:
Jerry - From the workshop pics I see you are running a non standard muffler. That suggests that 7.0 is able to handle some level of non standard mods. May I be so bold Sir Pirate as to enquire what non standard engine related bits your KS is running with the upgrade 7.0.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pirate said:
The bike is stock except for the slip-on.. at this point.. I have no plans for any engine mods other than the Rhinewest Chip when it's available.
You most definately need to remove the intake snorkels and replace the stock filter media if you haven't already.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Pirate said:
Well, my friends... Got the 7.0 upgrade today at Touring Sport in Greenville, SC and.....as I type this... I am one happy bastage. I rode for a couple of hours after she got juiced and here’s my initial impressions..
Same here on my R - moreover, when I fill up, the fuel indicator actually goes all the way to full as promised. Looks like the guys in Munchen made their homework correctly, this time...

CYA, Ed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
FaceThePower said:
You most definately need to remove the intake snorkels and replace the stock filter media if you haven't already.
If 7.0 and the ECU is able to handle these changes then it's worth considering. However given the numbers of reported fuelling issues with inlet and exhaust flow mods on earlier software / ECU setups it will be interesting to see if 7.0 handles upgrade inlet and exhaust flows. The alternative is the Dimsport unit plus flow mods.

We shall see......

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really?? Why? The bike already has plenty of power for "street" use even for a HP junkie like me.. and now runs perfectly...

Virtually everyone that has made that mod tells me that the bike makes a horrible intake sound..

Am I missing something? I have an open mind... Why must I?

FaceThePower said:

·
Registered
531 Posts
i had the 7.0 upgrade done last thursday at desimone bmw in mt laurel nj, no charge and i'm more than pleased with the results. maybe it's me but i can't understand why bmw didn't get it right the first time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pirate said:
Really?? Why? The bike already has plenty of power for "street" use even for a HP junkie like me.. and now runs perfectly...

Virtually everyone that has made that mod tells me that the bike makes a horrible intake sound..

Am I missing something? I have an open mind... Why must I?
Horrible? The bike sounds like an absolute monster with those baffles removed. Simply Awesome. :ricky

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
FaceThePower said:
Might wanna read the whole thread next time ;)
Sure I will.
Thank you. :))

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are asking if the shift points are different... Hmmm.. I thought I noticed that I needed to shift just a tad sooner but that could have just been my imagination...or my mood.

That is a good question... I just can't say for sure... Anybody else notice a difference? We still haven't heard from Pete A...

Lenz said:
Is there any change or improvement in the gear changing department with 7.0.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm really splitting the possible gear shifting "clunk" / non-smoothness into 2 main possibilities.

(1) Throttle / revs management ie how the engine revs and drive pressure is changing. (7.0 related)

(2) Clutch / gear change mechanism manufacture and adjustment

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Geezz.. you're getting waaay too tecnical for me, my bother..

My S doesn't clunk any more than any BMW I've ever ridden.. certainly not any more than my RS did so I just assume that's typical German engineeering that will slowly smooth out over time.. and in MY mind... have nothing to do with software changes. I've NEVER ridden a BMW that shifted anywhere near as smooth as ANY Japanese or Italian bike..

as I said initially.. the powerband is now linear .. but due to this factor I do seem to be shifting a little sooner as if the gearing were different..

Just curious.. why does this matter to you... ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was wondering if the drive pressure on the transmission was coming off fully between changes. If you get it right with the falling revs there is very little if any load on the transmission between "pulling" and "pushing" and it makes for a clean gear change. If it's hard to get a consistent match between throttle and engine revs ie if it's either on, off or at some inconsistent rev level as you roll off and on, then it's just that much harder to pull clean quick gear changes.

Just noticed a post from the GT forum that reports better gear changing after 7.0 install.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts