BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first left the dealer it felt pretty good. By time I got home it was unbelievably bad. Roll-on is very smooth, and feels improved. But, roll-off is impossible to get smooth. Anything above 3k rpms, when rolling off, it hits a cut-off point. It can't be done smoothly. Holding 40mph in 3rd is an adventure. Even the cruise control acts like a bucking bronco, especially down-hill. At high-way speeds, in 5th or 6th the problem is muted, but still there. This is pretty much the problem I was having before 7.0, only it's now more amplified.

Dropped it back off at the dealers :( Any thoughts what could be wrong? A bad TPS perhaps?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
55 views and no replies. Not good. So I'm alone with this problem. I assume the dealer will be calling BMW Monday. I hope they have heard of the problem. Our trip next week isn't looking good :(

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Like Joe said.

This is the first instance I've read where the update didn't have a positive outcome on low rpm throttle response. I have my GT going into the dealer Tues for the 7.0 install.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
messenger13 said:
I don't know what you expected us to say?
Just hoping someone smart than me had a clue what it might be. Or better yet someone else had a similar issue and an answer. I hate being the first<g>

JohnC

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Well somebody HAS to be first. Mine will be the first GT that will get the upgrade at my dealer. Mine is also the only one I know that had a final drive leak. On the bright side, you have doubled the amount of views since you first posted. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My best guess is that the software was installed improperly or the software push was not completed. I would recommend that they reinstall the software package.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
slowflyn said:
Mine is also the only one I know that had a final drive leak.
Darrel,

Could you please provide us with pic of leaking drive?
I mean the exact location.

TIA

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Vladimir,

I did not get a picture of it. It was on the bottom of the drive. The dealer said the gasket was pinched during assembly and did all work under warranty. It was not a constant leak, more like it would weep after it was hot. The rear wheel would be streaked with fluid on the final drive side. Are you having a problem?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pdamski said:
My best guess is that the software was installed improperly or the software push was not completed. I would recommend that they reinstall the software package.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
Looks like you called it. Just got a call that it was ready, and all they did was reload the software. Off to pick it up.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Darrel,
Thanks a lot for your feedback. No, I have no problem with the drive. Just want to be aware.
I must say that you are lucky with your dealer - I am not sure if my would say so honestly that the gasket was pinched during assemblying as I could not superwise him. Though they are good guys.

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
John,
Looking forward to your report after you pick up your bike.

Vladimir,
I am glad I have a very good dealer. Now get busy and ride before the snow starts to fly. ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the first 30 miles went a lot better than when I picked it up Saturday. No abrupt throttle cut off. It's still a bit sensitive on small throttle openings, especially on the way down, but manageable.

Compared to the original software:(nothing new for others with 7.0)

Much smoother roll-on's.

Easier to shift smoothly.

Roll-offs greatly improved. I'll give it time to adjust before concluding, but I think there's still work to be done.

Overall, much easier to manage low speeds/rpms. Though, when the bike was new I didn't have many issues either. It seemed to learn the poor low-end throttle management.

No notable top-end power loss, and none was expected.

Looks like we're good to go this week. Now off to plot our course through the Smokey's and blueridge.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
slowflyn said:
Vladimir,
I am glad I have a very good dealer. Now get busy and ride before the snow starts to fly. ;)
Yep! We have Indian summer since yesterday! And there are 2 or 3 weeks left before the first snowfall. So we go riding!!

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
We made a fantastic ride this afternoon! 250 miles in a heartbeat!
I checked the drive - dry! No leakage, no howling, everything just fine!
And I reset the BC - the average was 5,3L/100 km(45 mpg), I believe it's not bad for the speed of 100 mph :)). The only thing is that it is not the best idea to reset the BC every refuel, I'd prefer not to think about it at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts