BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed this morning and am happy to report that the issue I had with "low speed bucking" 2500 RPM's and below, APPEARS to be solved. There is a distinctive, yet subtle difference in the overall accelleration now. Very smooth throttle response. Realizing that my issue was only when the bike had been ridden hard and completely warmed up. It was always intermittent, thus, you never knew when the low speed "lurch" was going to rear it's ugly head. So far so good, 100 miles and counting...

In addition, there was a previous post regarding a recent 7.0 installation and the power windshield failing to function afterwards. Sorry, I do not remember the author of the post. I experienced the exact same issue after completition of my install. The dealer just scratched his head, run it back to the service tech and 10 minutes later I was out the door.

Regarding the dealer, i.e., service manager, I noticed a "less than positive" attitude regarding performing the install. The 20 + year BMW Service Tech. who answered the telephone yesterday was very encouraging, especially when I told him I lost complete engine power at low RPM concluding a recent ride. Yet, the Service Mgr. seemed to imply "the software is hit or miss, comparing it to a MicroSoft upgrade, good luck!"... Not exactly leaving me confident that this is the final fix ! More time and a couple more rides will tell.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
That was me.

I think the only issues with the flash are the procedures to do it and the tech getting comfortable driving the TR1 or whatever it's called. My tech said he tried a couple times, different ways and said he had to "force it".

I also got the same "good luck" attitude from the Service Manager.

Sounds like we are about the same. My problem only happened when she was hot and generally after a fillup or sitting for a bit - "ridden hot, put up wet". Haven't had a chance to test that part yet, but I'm a happy camper so far.

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
philspace said:
That was me.

I think the only issues with the flash are the procedures to do it and the tech getting comfortable driving the TR1 or whatever it's called. My tech said he tried a couple times, different ways and said he had to "force it".

I also got the same "good luck" attitude from the Service Manager.

Sounds like we are about the same. My problem only happened when she was hot and generally after a fillup or sitting for a bit - "ridden hot, put up wet". Haven't had a chance to test that part yet, but I'm a happy camper so far.
It is a GT1 :)

You have to remember these guys are trained as mechanics, not as software guys. I get a kick at the glazed look they get in their eyes any time they have to deal with the GT1. You also have to understand that the GT1 is a Windows XP based device, and subject to some of the weakness of the O/S and the software that runs under it. Another issue with the GT1 is weakness in the adapter cable design, I have helped the dealer chase down intermittent connections in the cables on a couple of occasions. Intermittent cables, marginally charged batteries and failure to specifically follow the instructions given by the GT1 will all cause a failure in diagnostics or firmware upload.

The amount of mis-information the techs hear, regurgitate or just plain make up is frightening. Today I heard that I should be careful selecting which updates I have installed because "after 12, you will have to replace the bikes computer". We know there is no small limit to how many times you can rewrite flash memory, so what he said has little basis in truth. If BMW designed in a limit on the number of updates, they should be summarily flogged. I didn't bother to ask him where he heard this, as I think he is a very good technician and didn't want to start a debate.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Thanks, I was so frustrated listening to their bullshit, the acronym went in one ear and out the other.

You're right Randy, they are entering into a brave new world, some kicking and screaming the whole way. My "kid" was young and not afraid, he will pick up on it quickly, but has no clue as to what's really happening.

·
Registered
96 Posts
future installations of 7.0 and upward - suggestion

The dearer I discussed the upgrade with mentioned that previous updgrades that did not appear to be successful were diagnosed as still running on the adaptive memory in the computer and not totally on the new software inputs.

His suggestion was to jumper the pos and neg cables (off of the battery of course) for 1/2 hour or longer which erases the adaptive memory. Then the computer components react off the software inputs. (but again build up adaptive memory based on the riding style).

I would suggest that if you are experiencing bad things prior to the upgrade...clear the memory and see if makes any difference....

then if you are getting the upgrade..clear the memory the evening before you take the bike in...then if the dealer doesn't know to do it (or doesn't want to spend the 1/2hr) you will be better off.

It was this dealers experience with BMW software updates.

Cheers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
philspace said:
That was me.

Phil, thanks for the previous "7.0 install/ power windshield issue" post. As I prepared to depart the service area, I put the key in the ignition, powered up and checked the windshield. Nothing...dead... I would have been down the road 25 miles before I noticed the malfunction. Otherwise, all in all I am satisfied with the upgrade...Thanks,

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
randy said:
You have to remember these guys are trained as mechanics, not as software guys. I get a kick at the glazed look they get in their eyes any time they have to deal with the GT1. QUOTE]

Randy, I hear you! I see the same look most of the time. In addition, I get the impression the Service Depts., i.e., Service Managers are either ignorant to the issue or have been instructed to "play containment" with this issue for fear that it will spread like wild fire. Thus, initiating either litigation issues or mass invasion of service issues beating at their door. It's almost as though, they have been instructed by "the mothership" to admit nothing. Be reactive not proactive... Maybe it's just me!

·
Registered
66 Posts
7.0 fears

I'm ready for my 6k service and called to learn that our service dept. does have the 7.0 upgrade. I've read that the lower rpm problems are solved-great! But acceleration and high end power suffer. I really, really, really like the throttle response and high end power that I have.
I know that this is a one way trip (kind of like getting a tatoo) How much, if any, throttle response and/or acceleration is sacrificed?
Is this really an issue, or am I just being a silly paranoid worry wart fraidy cat?
I don't want to be forced into buying a new computer!!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
randy said:

You have to remember these guys are trained as mechanics, not as software guys. I get a kick at the glazed look they get in their eyes any time they have to deal with the GT1.
That's what I like about my tech. Not only is he the best tech I've ever worked with, but he's also going to school for computer animation, and he's no dummy around computer-related stuff.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
BeemerDude said:
Phil, thanks for the previous "7.0 install/ power windshield issue" post. As I prepared to depart the service area, I put the key in the ignition, powered up and checked the windshield. Nothing...dead... I would have been down the road 25 miles before I noticed the malfunction. Otherwise, all in all I am satisfied with the upgrade...Thanks,
De nada. I wish I had thought to check as well, since I was on the slab, turned around and then had to wait because the kid was at lunch.

That's what these forums are all about. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
BeemerDude said:
In addition, there was a previous post regarding a recent 7.0 installation and the power windshield failing to function afterwards. Sorry, I do not remember the author of the post. I experienced the exact same issue after completition of my install. The dealer just scratched his head, run it back to the service tech and 10 minutes later I was out the door.

Just to clarify, the problem with the power windshield was an easy fix, correct? Did they tell you what rectified the problem?

Rob

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Clearing the codes. There is trash in memory from the old version/data structure, and they just need to zero everything out.

The ZFE sees error codes on both the upper and lower windshield position sensors and disables the motor as a result.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
philspace said:
Clearing the codes. There is trash in memory from the old version/data structure, and they just need to zero everything out.

The ZFE sees error codes on both the upper and lower windshield position sensors and disables the motor as a result.
Hey Phil, would you explain how to clear said codes? This jumping the positive and negative is just a bit vague to moi.

On the LT, we pulled a fuse.

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
grifscoots said:
Hey Phil, would you explain how to clear said codes? This jumping the positive and negative is just a bit vague to moi.

On the LT, we pulled a fuse.
The codes are only clearable with the GT1, at the dealer. These are stored values in memory and have to be rewritten by an external device.

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
da56panman said:
I've read that the lower rpm problems are solved-great! But acceleration and high end power suffer. I really, really, really like the throttle response and high end power that I have.
I know that this is a one way trip (kind of like getting a tatoo) How much, if any, throttle response and/or acceleration is sacrificed?
Is this really an issue, or am I just being a silly paranoid worry wart fraidy cat?
I don't want to be forced into buying a new computer!!
On a brief ride this afternoon on both my S and GT, it really doesnt feel like it has lost any power or throttle response from half to WOT. The change is most notable just off idle, where it no longer behaves like an on-off switch after you leave the idle stop.

We'll be spending some time in the southeast on these freshly updated bikes next week. I'll be happy to share more when we get back home. Over the next week or two you will hear plenty from those who have updated to 7.0

·
Registered
636 Posts
randy said:

The amount of mis-information the techs hear, regurgitate or just plain make up is frightening. Today I heard that I should be careful selecting which updates I have installed because "after 12, you will have to replace the bikes computer".
That's fairly well the exact same response I got from my Aussie tech manager as well.
Left me with the feeling, well, if my bike is running ok on V6.5 (his terminology, not mine) I should leave it be. How ever, I won't know the subtle effects of V7 unless I upgrade.
What to do??? (Also, looks like I would have to pay to have my 06 GT reflashed.)
The bike runs well, no issues, but perhaps V7 will make it even better???

Best wishes all.

Ken.

·
Registered
207 Posts
His suggestion was to jumper the pos and neg cables (off of the battery of course) for 1/2 hour or longer which erases the adaptive memory. Then the computer components react off the software inputs. (but again build up adaptive memory based on the riding style).
Not sure what putting a jumper between the pos and neg will do. If pulling the cables off the battery kills the power, what else do you need to clear the memory?

·
Registered
96 Posts
clickr said:
The dearer I discussed the upgrade with mentioned that previous updgrades that did not appear to be successful were diagnosed as still running on the adaptive memory in the computer and not totally on the new software inputs.

I would suggest that if you are experiencing bad things prior to the upgrade...clear the memory and see if makes any difference....

then if you are getting the upgrade..clear the memory the evening before you take the bike in...then if the dealer doesn't know to do it (or doesn't want to spend the 1/2hr) you will be better off.

It was this dealers experience with BMW software updates.

Cheers.
I have owned BMW cars now for 10 years, upon some research on the internet the adaptive memory component used by BMW Motorrad is the EXACT same as the one in the cars, when purchased brand new you have nothing to worry about, but when purchased pre-owned (my last 4 cars) A MUST is to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, at exactly 29 minutes the system resets itself, erasing any previously learned settings. Any decent BMW car Tech knows that and knows that anytime you go in and any computer upgrade is done, they disconnect it first.

The motorcycle Techs don't know that, most of the ones I have talked too have never even heard of that. As an a Software Architect I can tell that when it comes to Embedded type systems (like the computer and adaptive memory components on the cars and bikes) the OS, and Software been used to do the upgrade is doing absolutely nothing other than a FILE COPY, the embedded system does the magic when its "rebooted". Hence when a FIRMWARE upgrade is done to your motherboard, modem, router or CD-ROM there are VERY SPECIFIC IN ORDER instruction on how to do it.

So the issue here is the TECH knowing how to use the software and making the right selections for the right application and type of upgrade. If the wrong set of "FIRMWARE" upgrades are done to wrong bike, oh boy you are in trouble. Also there is nothing on the program that allows the tech to erase previously learned patterns in the adaptive memory, so disconnecting the battery cables for 30 minutes before that upgrade should be done. I am not sure if the dealers know that, so doing it at home before you leave, or even better arriving at the dealer 45 minutes before your upgrade and doing it there in the parking lot is a MUST.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
ATLDB said:
at exactly 29 minutes the system resets itself, erasing any previously learned settings.
But does it mean that I can restore the factory settings in case I am unhappy with the upgrade?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts