BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for the people who have had the 7.0 update to give a detailed report of their results as to the bikes performance? Several threads have already talked about the difficulty of obtaining the upgrade so what would be of value is info on weather the 7.0 lost any performance on bikes that did not have the low speed issues. Is throttle response and/or acceleration reduced? Some have said that 6th gear "snap" is reduced on the freeway.
THe real question is is it worth doing if the bike does not have the low speed issues?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
66 Posts
throttle response

I did have the low speed issues so I had the 7.0 installed yesterday and now the low speed issues seem to have been resolved.
But now I don't seem to have that snap you mentioned. I know the bike has a different personality than before and I'm going to have to go through a learning cycle but I am a little disappointed about the seemingly loss of zip.
If I roll the throttle on gradually, it's fine but quick throttle response is lazier than before.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The bike always had a tendency to only come to life after 5000rpm. You get 'snap' above, but not below.

All i'm asking is whether you're absolutely sure.

This upgrade hasn't made any negative difference to mine.

Ben

·
Registered
273 Posts
NOMODOC 22 said:
Is it possible for the people who have had the 7.0 update to give a detailed report of their results as to the bikes performance? Several threads have already talked about the difficulty of obtaining the upgrade so what would be of value is info on weather the 7.0 lost any performance on bikes that did not have the low speed issues. Is throttle response and/or acceleration reduced? Some have said that 6th gear "snap" is reduced on the freeway.
THe real question is is it worth doing if the bike does not have the low speed issues?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I did not have the low speed issue and I got the 7.0 on my K12S.

The "dramatic" rush just above 7000 has been reduced / removed. I still feel the power but it's delivered more linear over a broader range (6000 - 9000).

/M

·
Registered
192 Posts
NOMODOC 22 said:
Is it possible for the people who have had the 7.0 update to give a detailed report of their results as to the bikes performance? .... THe real question is is it worth doing if the bike does not have the low speed issues? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
My GT didn't really have any low speed issues, or at least I didn't think it did until I rode my wife's after she had the new software installed.

I just got mine updated this morning. I don't have many miles on it since the upgrade (about fifty), but the difference is amazing. My GT is now the gentleman's performance tourer that I expected from BMW!

Just off idle, it is very smooth, like well tuned carbureted bikes of the past. At least as good as my Goldwing, actually, better I think. I can now idle along at 1,000 RPM in third gear, and smoothly pick up speed, as little or as much as I like. NICE!

Only a stop watch or some electronic gear could prove to me whether there was any performance hit, but it doesn't feel like it. It IS somewhat easier to maintain a comfortable cruising speed, but a twist of the wrist brings the speed from seventy MPH to over one hundred VERY quickly. I made no attempt to go beyond that, as the LEO's are running radar like mad today, I suppose to try to slow the early holiday traffic a bit. (It's NOT working!) It still shoots up to speed like a rocket, it's just a lot more mellow at low speeds.

I really think that anyone that thinks its slower after the upgrade is confusing the previous abrupt power transitions for a LOT of power (just MY opinion). A dyno would tell for sure what's going on, but I gotta say I'm a very happy camper. Now, if I can only get a decent seat, it'll be the PERFECT motorcycle for me! :D

BTW, there was no hassle getting it installed. The owner's son asked me if I had time for him to do it while I was there for another issue (Tail trunk latch), and since I did, he ran it right in and did it himself, as the mechanics were busy. Those people may not sell cheap (although there was no charge for the upgrade), but they sure do take good care of us customers! Three cheers for Gulf Coast Motorcycles in Fort Myers, FL !! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
da56panman said:
I did have the low speed issues so I had the 7.0 installed yesterday and now the low speed issues seem to have been resolved.
But now I don't seem to have that snap you mentioned. I know the bike has a different personality than before and I'm going to have to go through a learning cycle but I am a little disappointed about the seemingly loss of zip.
If I roll the throttle on gradually, it's fine but quick throttle response is lazier than before.
I would agree with this response.
I have not gotten the 7.0 upgrade yet, but I rode a GT with the 7.0 installed. It could be my imagination but I thought at 70 MPH there was less acceleration. I did not ride the upgraded bike long.

I am very interested in everyone's perceptions after the upgrade.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Like NOMODOC 22 have been patiently reading the software upgrade posts on this subject and so far I believe that the pros are ahead of the cons. Taking this into consideration I contacted my dealer's service department to ask if I should have the upgrade done during my first service and I was surpised that I got a similar response as others have. The tech said it could take hours to do and that I should only have it done if I'm having drivability problems. I contribute this to a simple lack of experience by the shop on performing the upgrade. In any case for now I'll just wait knowing that I can have it done later under warranty if I need it. By-the-way, I really haven't had any low rpm/speed issues yet. However, I have noticed that if I apply the throttle just right around 2500 rpm I can get what others have called an abrupt power surge but gentle applications of the throttle so far seem to prevent it. Let's face it, with a 152 hp motorcycle, a few YEE HAW! moments have to be expected. :rotf:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Interesting replies. Careful review of this subject on this and other forums has led me (rightly or wrongly) to the following conclusions about the k1200GT upgrade......

1. Reports from outside North America seem to indicate a higher incidence and severity of the drivability issues. This may be due to more consumer protection and product liability legislation in the USA.

2. The consensus is that the 7.0 upgrade does not significantly degrade GT performance but does indeed alter drivability and that this change is apparently welcomed by most.

3. All seem to like the electrical changes.....no accessory shutoff, increased screen visibility etc. Some report smoother shifting as well.

4. The skill, experience and enthusiasm of the dealers varies widely. Larger, more service oriented dealers seem to have no problem with the upgrade to 7.0. BMWNA does indeed cover the cost if the owner sees it as a warranty issue.

5. As yet no significant bad effects have been reported.

As a result of this synopsis of many owners experiences, and after the assurances of my trusted dealer I will have 7.0 installed next week.This on a bike with no low speed issues. I will be going to Utah on a 2500 mile trip shortly thereafter and will report back my impressions with hopefully no regrets !

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Well thought out description of the issues for the update. I have the low speed throttling issues. I think this will make my bike much more rideable in heavy traffic ( or even at the top of my driveway, as I turn into the road). Getting it a week from Monday

·
Registered
111 Posts
Happy GT!!

I had the 7.0 upgrade done this morning.

What a difference!! I did have the low speed throttle issue and now it is as smooth as I had hoped it would be. On deceleration, the rpm's drop much more slowly (gradually) and smoothly.

The acceleration seems more linear now. The bike is still fast and has no more effort to reach 100+ mph.

The work was done under warranty and took about an hour. I met MarkMGT at the dealer this morning. He was next in line for the upgrade and I will be curious to compare notes after his bike is finished.

Thank you BMW and my dealer in Ventura!!

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

·
Registered
66 Posts
pdamski said:
I had the 7.0 upgrade done this morning.

What a difference!! I did have the low speed throttle issue and now it is as smooth as I had hoped it would be. On deceleration, the rpm's drop much more slowly (gradually) and smoothly.

The acceleration seems more linear now. The bike is still fast and has no more effort to reach 100+ mph.

The work was done under warranty and took about an hour. I met MarkMGT at the dealer this morning. He was next in line for the upgrade and I will be curious to compare notes after his bike is finished.

Thank you BMW and my dealer in Ventura!!

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
Pete!

It was a great pleasure to meet you. In fact my girl friend commented that she had wished she had a chance to talk with you as she heard you were a sound mixer. She made this movie... anyway we will talk more.

As far as the 7.l0 upgrade goes--there is NO WAY that anyone should rejet this upgrade. I didn't really have low speed issues that I couldn't handle with the clutch. Now I can just ride around at low RPM in a parking lot without having to feather. Guys.. get your bike updated.

I didn't notice any loss of performance. Even if you did lose just a wee bit, what difference does it make anyway? I still can blow by any Harley on the road ... err, did I say that?

-mark=

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've now got a few hundred miles on the upgrade. If I were to try to explain it in as few words as possible, I say "the upgrade expands the power band from the original range of three thousand to ten thousand RPM, to a much wider power band of ONE thousand to ten thousand RPM".

It doesn't pull "strongly" at one thousand RPM (it IS idle, after all!), but it will pull smoothly at any RPM that the engine will run at. Thirty miles per hour in top gear is quite practical and smooth now.

I was surprised how much I was compensating for the low speed behavior, most noticeable in slow speed metro riding and through low speed corners. Not anymore, I can just ride it.

I have noticed that I need to turn the throttle open more for hard acceleration than before, but it's still ALL there! Riding in the rain, which I've done a fair bit of the last two days is no longer scary at all!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had the update this AM. 150 miles since. Do not hesitate even if you think your GT has no problems. The bike is much smoother now and is easier to ride as less skill/attention is required for throttle control at low speeds and during and just after shifting. Overall power does not seem to be affected and it still pulls hard but is smoother when you back off. I did not think I had any drivability issues before but must admit I like this better. The change has added a more refined feel to an already great ride. The 7.0 was covered as warrantee as by now the dealers have learned the appropriate wording to use with BMWNA. There were no issues with the shield, flashers or any other functions. Also no lag at 4800 RPM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Taking mine in on Tuesday for it's 6K service. I will have mine upgraded then. Although, the last time I brought the subject up with the service manager he claimed my bike should have the latest software ?? I just think he gets irritated when someone comes in and says they saw something posted on a message board.

rob

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine's in this morning. Dealer hasn't done one yet. Anyone know of any issues he may run into? I'm headed out on a 1k+ trip next week, and really want the upgrade to be completed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The only issue I've heard of is the windshield not working after the update, your dealer should know about this. It's easy enough for him to fix it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
billg said:
The only issue I've heard of is the windshield not working after the update, your dealer should know about this. It's easy enough for him to fix it.
Since he hasn't done a 7.0 update yet, he may not know about the windshield. Any idea what's needed to fix it? Not sure he'd be able to get a hold of BMW today if there's a problem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
JohnC said:
Since he hasn't done a 7.0 update yet, he may not know about the windshield. Any idea what's needed to fix it? Not sure he'd be able to get a hold of BMW today if there's a problem.
Mine was my dealer's 1st and he knew about it.
I believe the update sets a fault code, he'll just have to clear the code.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Best bike evvaaa!

I had my 7.0 upgrade done today. All the pain and suffering is gone. 90 degree turns at 1500 rpm in 2nd gear WITHOUT touching the clutch. U-turns in 1st gear. No clutch. Smoother than silk. I did find some occasional hesitation around 3000-4000, but I gladly trade that for the jerkiness I had before. I don't think it lost any bite at the uppper rpm's. Went to 9000 in 4th gear a couple of times. Insane accelleration!!! I need to double up on my denture adhesive before I do that again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
7.0 done this morning

Did my 6k checkup and updated to 7.0 this morning. After 150 miles I can say fairly confidently that the low-rpm on-off load issue is gone. It makes all the difference; now the bike drives more like my K12RS in terms of fueling. SMOOTH roll on entering corners and less abrupt throttle close. I can chug along in any gear/rpm without the bike's autonomous "hunting" I used to have to work around.

Shifting is definitely less clunky, but this could at least partly be due to the 6000 mile oil change. Idle is now steady at 1050, even when the fan kicks in.

I did have one instance of the throttle sticking after some high-rpm twisties. I got it down by blipping several times so I'm betting there is something loose or binding...it only happened once.

Over all, I am so pleased with the change in personality of the bike. I knew from day one BMW could do better than that!

9baller

2006 K1200GT Crystal Grey
2003 Z4 2.5 Titanim Silver
2000 540i/6 Anthracite

1 - 20 of 25 Posts