BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect one the seams of my tank is leaking slightly. How does an aluminum tank get tested for a leak and who does the testing?

As cool as it was, I would like to avoid having my own "Flame Off" thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most likely pin hole corrosion leaks. Pull the tank, empty the fuel, remove the fuel pump and filter if necessary to gain access. Allow the tank to vent and after completely dry inspect with a bright light, you should be able to see your pin hole corrosion area. Degrease area if needed and mix you up some JB weld Aluminum, put a little fillet filler in the corroded area and it will be fine for the next 20 years. Reassemble tank and put it back on the bike. I did that to a K75 about 15 years ago and it is still running fine with no leaks in that area. One good thing that it did was it leveled out and filled the little area that water collected in and did not allow it to sit there and corrode the aluminum tank.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hungstart said:
Most likely pin hole corrosion leaks. Pull the tank, empty the fuel, remove the fuel pump and filter if necessary to gain access. Allow the tank to vent and after completely dry inspect with a bright light, you should be able to see your pin hole corrosion area. Degrease area if needed and mix you up some JB weld Aluminum, put a little fillet filler in the corroded area and it will be fine for the next 20 years. Reassemble tank and put it back on the bike. I did that to a K75 about 15 years ago and it is still running fine with no leaks in that area. One good thing that it did was it leveled out and filled the little area that water collected in and did not allow it to sit there and corrode the aluminum tank.
I like it. Thanks, I will give that a shot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't use JB Weld, go down to the nearest NAPA store and pickup two packages of "Gas tank sealer" It is about $14, comes in a two part mixture and really works. I tired JB weld and it came loose after one season. The gas tank sealer worked very well, it is designed to work inside and outside the tank.

You still have to try and rough up the surface and get down to bare metal, but prep is always important.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
orforester said:
Don't use JB Weld, go down to the nearest NAPA store and pickup two packages of "Gas tank sealer" It is about $14, comes in a two part mixture and really works. I tired JB weld and it came loose after one season. The gas tank sealer worked very well, it is designed to work inside and outside the tank.

You still have to try and rough up the surface and get down to bare metal, but prep is always important.
Thanks for the advice. I havent found the hole yet. I got a used tank. The hole is somewhere on the bottom of the rear of the tank. That is a winter project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts