BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow K-bike owners. My trusty 87 K100 recently developed a tachometer problem after a recent headlight bulb change.

The engine revs well pass 2000 rpm, but the tachometer needle does not travel pass 2000 rpm.

I've checked is the backplate of the tach is warped, but it is not, there is plenty of room for the needle to move pass 2000 rpm.

Any suggestions what could be the problem?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
87K100 said:
Greetings fellow K-bike owners. My trusty 87 K100 recently developed a tachometer problem after a recent headlight bulb change.

The engine revs well pass 2000 rpm, but the tachometer needle does not travel pass 2000 rpm.

I've checked is the backplate of the tach is warped, but it is not, there is plenty of room for the needle to move pass 2000 rpm.

Any suggestions what could be the problem?
Take the tacho out of the housing and connect it up. Run the bike. If the tach. needle runs OK past 2K then follow Razels links to stop the needle sticking to the clear front.

If the tach. still sticks out of the housing, then either the needle is touching the back plate or possibly some dirt is trapped in the moving coil. VERY CAREFULLY use a toothpick on the needle near the center and see if you can move it all the way up (without sticking). That may be enough to dislodge what could be in there, but anything magnetic will just stay stuck, so you need to have a careful look with an eyeglass. The needle should move very easily. If it seems tight to move, then a small drop of watch oil from a hypo on the top and bottom jewel bearings will probably fix it (but it won't get fixed if you get oil on the hair springs!) Don't think about using an air line as it will screw up the hair springs - but one of those camera lens blowers should be ok.

Once you are sure the meter movement is mechanically free to move past 2K, if it still doesn't then the fault could be on the circuit board.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts