BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've enjoyed my K100RS for a few years now, and about two years ago I had to replace the voltage regulator which was draining my battery. It's run fine ever since. Yesterday I went to start the bike and it was dead. When I jumped it, without the key or kill switch engage, it attempted to start. Is this normal?

I was able to get it started, and let it run for a short while, but it did not maintain a charge.

Why might it have drained? Might the battery be dead? Could it be an issue with the replaced voltage regulator? I'm happy to take it in, but before I do I was hoping to get a response from you fabulous, knowledgeable folks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Starter relay is fusing. That's why the starter keeps on turning even with ignition off and possibly why the battery is draining. BUT, a few years old for the battery it is probably done for.

Them relays...they do that when attempting to start the bike with a low battery. Goes for all Ks....DON"T do that,starter relays can cost more than a battery.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
When I jumped it, without the key
Spot on H: Starter relay contacts fused together.

OP: You could still have a drain problem or just a bad battery, particularly now . After you have fixed the starter relay and fully charged the battery, borrow a multimeter and test the drain from the battery when the key is off. There should be no more than a few milliamperes of current drain.

If you park up near a mains power socket, go and buy a small battery tender and leave it plugged in when not riding. Every cold morning your bike will then start perfectly and you are less likely to damage the starter relay with a low battery.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
johnhell said:
I've enjoyed my K100RS for a few years now, and about two years ago I had to replace the voltage regulator which was draining my battery. It's run fine ever since. Yesterday I went to start the bike and it was dead. When I jumped it, without the key or kill switch engage, it attempted to start. Is this normal?

I was able to get it started, and let it run for a short while, but it did not maintain a charge.

Why might it have drained? Might the battery be dead? Could it be an issue with the replaced voltage regulator? I'm happy to take it in, but before I do I was hoping to get a response from you fabulous, knowledgeable folks.

Thanks.
Starter relays are around $100. I learned this lesson myself the hard way. Kept cranking and cranking the starter until the relay fused. Then the K75 kept cranking away by itself. All I could do was stand there until the battery died.

On the plus side, a starter relay is way easier to deal with than a sprag clutch. The 90s Triumph triples break the sprag clutch if you keep cranking with a low battery. On some years that means splitting the cases to fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts