BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 K100rs. When EVER the side stand is down it wont run, even in neutral with the clutch in. Is this normal or is the neutral safety switch bad? So to warm up the bike I have to put it on the center stand with the side stand up. Its the only way it will run with me not on the bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay! That means I am done fixing it! It is odd though, I have never seen another bike this way. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Two items: It keeps the rider from taking off with the side stand Down and discovering it at the first left hand turn. 2: Running on the side stand disrupts the normal oiling system, mainly extra oil in the cylinder head valve train area. If your valve guide seals are in good shape, No Problem, If their not oil could get sucked into the combustion chambers (Not So Good). Neither much of a problem for most of us But mother BMW is looking out for us. :xcheer:

·
Registered
33 Posts
FlyingDuck said:
It's very easy to disable the side stand switch. Just short the two wires at the connector. All it does is send a ground to the Motronic.

I have done this on my GS - riding off with it down doesn't worry me - kicking up the stand is as automatic as checking the mirrors. There is far too much paranoia about this - take responsibility for yourself. double check - maybe put a reminder on the instruments until kicking it up becomes 'automatic'. It doesn't take long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts