BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to upgrade from a 32amp. to 50-60 amp. alternator so I can run extra lights heated clothing GPS etc. all at the same time. Accessories and stock lights add up to 26 amp. draw. I've heard you should use 80 percent, or in my case 26,4, the balance left for recharging. I'm at 26 amps. without counting engine needs. So far have purchased two differnet remanufactured Bosch alternators that vendor claims are used for the upgrade. Neither fit (bolt pattern is off). Can I get the origanal stator rewound to increase amps. or is their another solution. I've heard that this upgrade has been done before and in fact BMW went to a 50 amp. alternator in mid '93. A new one costs $900 and there is no guarantee it will fit as it has the same part number as my 2 remanufactured ones. Any inights will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved

We "reclocked" alternator #2. It barely fits, but it works. If anyone is planning to upgrade their charging system from 32 amp. to 60 amp. on early K Bikes, call John Rayski, 303-526-0901, at Euro Motoelectrics (www.euromotoelectrics.com), he has the upgrade. Remanufactured Bosch alternator is $250.00 with trade-in core. A new one from BMW is $900.00.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts