BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought a 93 K75 - very exited - with 72K on the odometer. It's a blast to ride but it has a problem when accelerating in second: It feels like the clutch disengages and engages, or slips pretty violently, but it does no slip out of second gear. All other gears work great, it's only second gear doing this. Does anyone have a similar experience? Can this be a gearbox issue or a clutch issue?

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you don't get a response from this group (where K75 folks are somewhat few) you might check out motobrick.com ....

Larry Johnson
El Paso Tx

·
Registered
196 Posts
Had this happen twice on my high mileage '85 K. The shift drum/shift fork is really worn at the points where the 1-2 shift is made, not letting it fully engage the gear dogs. The engagement dogs edges will round off from slipping in and out of engagement. If you drain the trans. oil you will probably see a lot of glitter in there, like a metallic paint job. The only fix is a rebuild or a replacement. Replacing bearings, seals and worn parts will cost $1000+ doing the work yourself (at least the last time I did it). The parts are an aluminum alloy with a anti-wear coating that once it is worn through, the failure is pretty quick. Sorry for the bad news.

Frank

·
Registered
161 Posts
What he said about the trans, but I think you need to look below the engine/trans joint for a sign of an oil drip. A drip suggests the o-ring at the trans input shaft has perhaps hardened and cracked, allowing engine oil to leak backward to your clutch.

Second gear is where we typically yank the right handgrip, to take off... resulting high torque means that if anywhere, your clutch will slip there.

Replacing an oring requires pulling off the trans, etc, so I'd start with a trans fluid drain and a close look for sparkles. If you've only recently changed the trans oil, and it comes out clean, use it again if you're cheap like me, but a new bottle of Castrol stuff isn't expensive and you can feel good that you're treating the bike right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts