BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 bmw k1200rs
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So first off I know I will be judged for this. But I am curious. If I cut off the exhaust in front of the o2 sensor will it cause issues?

For everyone wondering why I want to , I've almost been hit 12 times in the past 2 days due to nobody hearing me. I don't know how you can't see a big bright red motorcycle but

I'm new to fuel injected bikes and I'm used to rejetting when you open the exhaust

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
669 Posts
I think you need to carefully evaluate your riding and situation analysis. You don't hear cars but you don't turn into them because you look for them. Car drivers do not see bikes. You have to watch eye movement, wheel movement, situations that will make a car move contrary to what is normal, traffic ahead, pot holes, kids on bikes on the sidewalk you have to pretend you are in that car besides being on the bike. Be careful messing with your exhaust. No one can hear a noisy bike at freeway speeds until it passes them. There are few extras out there for a vintage bike. I get cut off many times when I ride on the local freeways. It is normal, some situations worse than others. Occasionally it really gets to me but I try not to react and accentuate the bad motorcyclist image. I do pass cars with a vengeance when needed and feeling a little wronged. The K bike leaves a good vortex at 9000 rpm (Remus). My buddy got caught between a car, boat on a trailer and the left guard rail on a freeway a few years ago. It was interesting. Passing cars were honking at the offending pickup. The guy just pulled into the HOV lane without turning his/her head to look. Bikes hide in the mirror dead zone. I think the new cars with radar are a great thing.
ps don't mess with your O2 sensor, very important. If you want a louder silencer find an after market Remus or Staintune, will cause no problems with fueling and sounds great, but won't change much with drivers.

·
Registered
1998 bmw k1200rs
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you need to carefully evaluate your riding and situation analysis. You don't hear cars but you don't turn into them because you look for them. Car drivers do not see bikes. You have to watch eye movement, wheel movement, situations that will make a car move contrary to what is normal, traffic ahead, pot holes, kids on bikes on the sidewalk you have to pretend you are in that car besides being on the bike. Be careful messing with your exhaust. No one can hear a noisy bike at freeway speeds until it passes them. There are few extras out there for a vintage bike. I get cut off many times when I ride on the local freeways. It is normal, some situations worse than others. Occasionally it really gets to me but I try not to react and accentuate the bad motorcyclist image. I do pass cars with a vengeance when needed and feeling a little wronged. The K bike leaves a good vortex at 9000 rpm (Remus). My buddy got caught between a car, boat on a trailer and the left guard rail on a freeway a few years ago. It was interesting. Passing cars were honking at the offending pickup. The guy just pulled into the HOV lane without turning his/her head to look. Bikes hide in the mirror dead zone. I think the new cars with radar are a great thing.
ps don't mess with your O2 sensor, very important. If you want a louder silencer find an after market Remus or Staintune, will cause no problems with fueling and sounds great, but won't change much with drivers.
Thank you for the riding tips, I've been riding off and on for 6 years and always welcome tips to better myself. I was trying ky best to avoid spending 500$ on an exhaust. Mainly now due to my hanger bolts shearing off and no longer having support for the muffler.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
669 Posts
A lot of folks go the route of some LED lamps on their bike. Some are obnoxious or illegal in some states but there are plenty that work well and draw little current. Read your state's aux. light laws. Some people just ride with their high beam on in the day. I'm not a fan of that particularly. And you may just be on a unlucky streak. (you need to deal with your bolt problem, as I see it something is not supported at the moment and vibration will crack stuff).

·
Registered
79 Posts
As already stated - i don't believe being louder will solve your problem
BUT
If you cut off the exhaust then do it after the O2 sensor.
Without the O2 sensor working you will lose a lot of the nice engine tractability.
The CAT will not restrict the flow or noise - you can check by removing the muffler and running the bike.
You can get more noise with a different muffler - no remapping required unless you want to go extreme or change it from a sports bike to a tourer engine curve.

·
Registered
1998 BMW K1200rs Dolphin Blue.
44 Posts
There are videos on YouTube about removing some of the innards from the end can. That may make things a bit louder.

Personally I love the silence of the k1200rs and how I can really throttle up without people a mile away hearing me 😊

·
Registered
10 Posts
So first off I know I will be judged for this. But I am curious. If I cut off the exhaust in front of the o2 sensor will it cause issues?

For everyone wondering why I want to , I've almost been hit 12 times in the past 2 days due to nobody hearing me. I don't know how you can't see a big bright red motorcycle but

I'm new to fuel injected bikes and I'm used to rejetting when you open the exhaust

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would seriously recommend taking the MFS Basic Rider Course (BRC). There is a riding strategy referred to as SEE (search evaluate, execute) that helps riders identify potential on road situations that may call for evasive actions. Loud pipes do nothing to save riders lives. Statically, over 70% of motorcycle accidents are the riders fault. Knowing what to look for and steering clear may be what you need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts