BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Could anyone point me in the direction of how to fix the digital display on my k1200rs. The time and gear indicator are not working.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Having looked at this in the dark, I can see that the led display is powered on. The back light is working so I guess this means the unit has power and is probably faulty 馃槬

Registered

I found this but didn't dig into it much.

Shows your in GB/UK, have you pulled the harness off to see if you have corrosion really bad? Usually on these vintage of dash board it should be a ribbon style panel that makes the connections for the display, you could pull it apart and clean it or get another ribbon board to swap it over to fix it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there. I did find a connector and pulled it. Looked spotless inside.
I found a display on eBay with good photos and it looked like the same plug I pulled so I鈥檓 not 100% sure it鈥檚 corrosion.
i suspect it鈥檚 failed as the backlight is working ok which probably means power is getting to the unit.

im not sure how to get to the back of that panel at the moment but I suspect it means taking the front of my bike apart?

thanks for your help

paul.

Registered
Hi there. I did find a connector and pulled it. Looked spotless inside.
I found a display on eBay with good photos and it looked like the same plug I pulled so I鈥檓 not 100% sure it鈥檚 corrosion.
i suspect it鈥檚 failed as the backlight is working ok which probably means power is getting to the unit.

im not sure how to get to the back of that panel at the moment but I suspect it means taking the front of my bike apart?

thanks for your help

paul.
I would bet you'll have to remove at least the front wings and nose to get to it. I didn't look back on mine when I had the tupperware off last night during an ECU swap.

It seems daunting but its really not terrible.

If you look in your tool kit there is a rubber boot cover, he mentions it in the video but thats what you cover the frame mount to not scratch the side panels if you wind up having to take them off.

I'd also just check to make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. There are two negative leads on my k1200GT (2004). I didn't see both at first but one definitely runs the dash because I had one lose but still had the clock going until I pulled the second lead lol.

Registered
No backlight in the digital displays.Only 5 bulbs lighting up the instruments, one is right by the clock/gear indicator.

Two grounds at the battery.One is the solid frame ground.6-8(?)Ga wire with rubber insulation.

Other is all the brown grounds brought back to the battery.Plastic coated that one and under the coating there are 6-8(?) brown wires into a single eye battery terminal.6-8 wires....maybe more all depending on year and equipment.

Reactions: Beech

Registered
Gear indicator switch connector onto the harness is along/under the left frame rail under the seat.

That one a multi "fine" pins connector.I'd check it for corrosion,bent pins and/or broken wires:

Registered
Hum.....I looked at the 98s wiring diagram.LCD display which is I'll assume "clock and gear indicator" as the manual does not specify but for clock and no gear indicator shown in the wiring diagram.Clock only!

Clock is fused on the 98s. 馃榾

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all. Had a root around things today. That fuse is good and definately live.
I then went up to the socket at the front of the bike and using a paper clip I checked for 12 volts. It looks like there is no power at the female side of the socket at all. I鈥檓 assuming one of those pins is live at all times.
looking close I could see it鈥檚 labelled pin 1 to 6.

Registered
Hi all. Had a root around things today. That fuse is good and definately live.
I then went up to the socket at the front of the bike and using a paper clip I checked for 12 volts. It looks like there is no power at the female side of the socket at all. I鈥檓 assuming one of those pins is live at all times.
looking close I could see it鈥檚 labelled pin 1 to 6.
What year is your bike?

Registered
How do you check for Voltage with a paper clip?馃

R/Bl for red/black is the power wire.And of course the brown ground should also be checked.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
i see my bike is pretty different to the model in the fairing removal video posted earlier . That is the later model. My one doesnt have the small removable panels around the side of the dash area.

it looks like I need to remove the large right panel to gain access to the right side of the dash area.

I popped a paper clip in to the holes of the socket and then measured with a multi meter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all. to close off this thread.

As suggested by the wiser people on this forum, the + supply has a break in it. I have run a temporary singular cable from the red/white wire going in to the multi plug, directly to the battery going over the top of the tank. This has got the display and digital gear indicator working as it should.

I鈥檒l be removing the tank over the summer as part of my service schedule so I鈥檒l install a better, more permanent fix for the broken cable.

Thanks to the posters on this thread for pointing me in the correct direction to fix this issue.

Registered
Hi all. to close off this thread.

As suggested by the wiser people on this forum, the + supply has a break in it. I have run a temporary singular cable from the red/white wire going in to the multi plug, directly to the battery going over the top of the tank. This has got the display and digital gear indicator working as it should.

I鈥檒l be removing the tank over the summer as part of my service schedule so I鈥檒l install a better, more permanent fix for the broken cable.

Thanks to the posters on this thread for pointing me in the correct direction to fix this issue.
Thank you for result / feedback.
This is the value of forums community as many will use the search engine for a similar problem in future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts