BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had purchased a 98 K1200RS and been having issues with my ABS lights, I recently cleaned all the snot out of the ABS Pump and flushed my system, added new brake pads and was about to check all my sensor gaps when I noticed that the ABS Sensor Ring on the front rotor was missing. Would anybody know if not having the Sensor Ring on the front rotor would cause the ABS unit to not function at all ? After I take the bike out and go 10 to 15 MPH the lights are always in the blinking check mode at startup . Anybody's input in regards to this would be appreciated :boom:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Apostle said:
Would anybody know if not having the Sensor Ring on the front rotor would cause the ABS unit to not function at all ? :boom:
No sensor ring = No self-test= No ABS. But I see you just bought it, I'm wondering why someone would remove that? Just removing the sensor would achieve the same result... :dunno:

I guess you'll have to buy one and install it and see what happens. :)

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
If you bought from a dealer, he sold you a bike with a defective braking system. Since you've already attacked the bike I guess it was a private sale.

I just can't see any logic in removing the front ABS ring.It's not like removing the lamps which would hide a problem. Does it look as if any work has been done on the front, is the front wheel running true?

As H96669 says, no ABS ring = all the warnings and no ABS.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ABS Sensor Ring

yes I bought it from a private sale, and yes the front wheel is running true. as far as work being done on the front end, I'm not sure what he could have possibly done, with the exception of finding a paperclip holding the brake pad pin in place, which I have already replaced with a hitch pin.

and the reason anyone would have taken the sensor ring off the rotor is a mystery to me. :confused:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Possibly he just wanted a standard braking system and by removing the ring accomplished that...you could call the guy:phonecall and tell him you want your ring back :teeth and ask him why he took it off :dunno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered the Sensor Ring

I should be picking the Sensor Ring up on Saturday which ran me $163.00 and will probably have it installed by Sunday, (weather permitting) and will give an update in regards to this problem :dunno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed Sensor Ring

but I am having a problem in regards to the forks hitting the Ring and the rotor now, would anyone have the fork span dimensions? wondering if I could span the forks out and tighten the axel clamps to resolve this ?

possible reason why the person I bought the bike from took off the Sensor Ring !!!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Could the wheel be flipped around? :dunno:

I'm not home to look at my bike, but I have the Clymer here, hard to say from the pics, it does seem to be slightly different on both sides. The housing for the bearings looks slightly thicker on the "Ring" side.

Maybe that is what happened originally, they mounted it wrong, put the seal on the wrong side, then could not figure it out and removed the "Ring"..... :teeth

Spanning the forks and tightening the axle clamps.....not unless you want to go for a good faceplant, and there is a procedure also to retighten the wheel in place. :wtf:

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
When sat on the bike, The front ABS ring is on the left with the wheel ID numbers on the right.

The fork to wheel seal spacings are each about 25mm - it's logical that the center line of the wheel should lie midway between the forks!

The ABS ring fits BEHIND the rotor not on top of it!

Post some photos of what your front end looks like.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sensor Ring

Voxmagna I look at you as the guru to no ends... especially appreciated the post you submitted in regards to the ABS II unit. where Jeff went through some detail about opening the unit up and cleaning and clearing the pistons. Vox you were once again correct, being that I didn't have the sensor ring installed correctly, I mistakenly put it on the outside of the rotor instead of the inside. :spank1:

but after resetting the sensor ring correctly I was able to put my axle back in place and set my sensor correctly. I took the bike down the street and both my ABS lights turned off, I will test the ABS brakes some time during the week being that its dark outside and my wife is home. I know if she hears me rev the engine she will have a baby :yeow:

will update when I can
Thanks for the inputs...
much appreciated !!!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Easy mistake to make if you never had it there to start with.

I would strongly recommend you get the Clymer shop manual and the BMW CD is also handy for some things too. Mistakes are easy to make on these bikes and can be very expensive.

Glad you got it sorted, just a pity you had to go buy the ring as it's the last thing I'd expect to be missing on any bike. Opening up the ABS II unit is not for everybody, but it can save a lot of money - particularly if it's just the reverse biased protection diode across the relay/pump that's shorted out. But as you guessed, since the unit sits there innactive most of the time upside down acting like a dirt/silt trap for all the rubbish in the system, it's the pistons that most likely will stick and cause the fault lockout on the startup test sequence.

Even though we all know that brake flushing is important, I'm sceptical that flushing will get everything out of the ABS module. Changing to Spiegler or Goodrich brake lines is the best medicine and your rubber hoses will probably be soft and perished by now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After being caught out with things like this in the past i now always take a couple of quick digital photographs of anything that i am going to take apart.
Great when you are putting things together and things arent either going smoothly or you simply can't remember the sequence.
Obviously your ABS ring was already missing so the above would not apply but it is worth bearing in mind for the future.

Pleased you now have it sorted Darryl :clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts