BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few more mods on My KR....

Well I have been thinking of doing this long before I bought the KR and Sunday I decided to do a little "Monster Garage: and got out the Saws all...well I always thought the license plate bracket was a bit "large" for my taste, sooo.... I did this....

and with a little work w/ a Dremel...

the final result is this....

Ok, I know it's a little squidish but I also relocated my plate (still a temp as this point) to the rear wheel well and move the factory plate light to the top of the wheel well (plate has to be lighted in Arizona) sure all the rice racers do this but it really does clean up the rear of the bike enormously.

I also sent my front and rear peg brackets out to be powder coated (came out beautiful!) and so while the can was sitting there on it's own I took a $2 piece of aluminum and an hour or so of my time and came up this bracket

I'm pretty pround of my work and it so simple...You can see the black P/C pieces as well-

Well, the digital "Brake" light came in today, I'll add to the bike this afternoon, if you've never had one of these- one of the best saftey improvements you can make.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That's nice. :) I was looking at the plate hanger on Sunday too... I'm thinking of getting it sawed off and even putting the plate up so far as to hiding the seat key hole. Maybe using some magnets and a hinge or something to flip the plate when I need to access the under seat...

How thick is the material you used for the exhaust bracket? Is it stable enough sideways? :)

Your bike sure looks good! :cool: :yeah:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Powder Coat

You bike looks awesome.

I have my painted parts off to get done but I didn't start on the PC work yet.

Did you disassemble the bake/peg mount on the right side? My cylinder mount is riveted to the bracket.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ignore Amos said:
Well, the digital "Brake" light came in today, I'll add to the bike this afternoon, if you've never had one of these- one of the best saftey improvements you can make.
What the heck is a digital brakelight? I realize that ALL light is in essence "digital", since light is emitted in discrete quanta (i.e. photons), but it seems to me that this would be taking the idea of "digital" just a bit far!

Maybe you mean you bought an LED brakelight? Well, I suppose a brakelight is either ON or OFF, so I suppose any brakelight is "digital" after all! :D

Bob.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

Ok...where to start...the exhaust hanger was made from an aluminum sheet but for the life of me I can't remember the thickness...but bottom line is that the exhaust is very stable and seems to work well. I did take the brake lever apart and yes the cylinder mount is rivited the the heel guard but it can out very nicely. Bob- yes I meant "LED" thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did you attach the plate to the plastic oil tank? Let us know how the light relocation works out and if you have any problems. It looks great so far.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plate attachment

BigScott said:
How did you attach the plate to the plastic oil tank? Let us know how the light relocation works out and if you have any problems. It looks great so far.
I just drilled 4 small holes, one in each corner of the license plate and then safety wired each corner to the bolts that hold the plastic oil tank in place...very stable, doesn't move- I relocated the plate light to the bottom of the underseat area..illuminates the plate very well and it's all legal (well at least in AZ) Thanks for the compliment!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts