BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's how she looks just before I took possession from the dealer...

As you can plainly see, this 2001 model (build date April, 2001) has the newer plastics, and came with the following "MSRP Options":

"Semi-integral ABS"
"Heated Grips"
"Sport Suspension" (which, BTW, is white, not yellow?)
"Luggage Grid"
"Luggage Brackets"
"Large Rear Wheel"

I don't know if these were special ordered options, or if the PO bought the bike off the showroom floor with the options already attached from the factory as part of some package.

Now why didn't I get cruise control? :teeth
Where would cruise control normally attach?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hey she looks great! Same color as mine and naturally the best choice. Cruise control sits on the left switch block above the high / low beam switch. IMHO you have a 2002 - 05 model, which BMW began building in 2001. Didn't think they were built that early but I've been mistaken before. Semi Integral ABS was not available on the previous model and nor were the power assist brakes. If it has power assist brakes then IMHO it is definitely a 2002 model. You have the touring screen which is considerably taller than the standard unit. Panniers have been color matched too - nice option, but be very careful throwing your leg over, and the pillion's boot too...
Enjoy your new ride and if new to the K series there is plenty of outstanding advice on this forum....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Three different BMW VIN decoder sites/tools give me the same answer: early 2001 build (April, 2001) and identified as a 2001 model (MY2001)... with "2002-2005" plastics, BMW embossed brake calipers, and ABS, etc. I must have a cross-over 2001-2002 model? Strange.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Production date 2001 . I think that you have purchased the earliest model of the last shape of the flying brick. New model production begins during the previous year. ie The first of the new shape released as a 2002 model began manufacture in 2001 and was [I believe] released to dealers around August for northern hemisphere summers. It is common for a vehicle to be built as a particular year model, but to be assembled in the previous year. Does it have power assist brakes as this was definitely not available in the previous model? This is identified by poor braking when the motor is off, and, with the ignition on, but not running, a distinctive whirring sound when the brake lever [front or rear] is engaged...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flyingkiwi said:
Production date 2001 . I think that you have purchased the earliest model of the last shape of the flying brick. New model production begins during the previous year. ie The first of the new shape released as a 2002 model began manufacture in 2001 and was [I believe] released to dealers around August for northern hemisphere summers. It is common for a vehicle to be built as a particular year model, but to be assembled in the previous year. Does it have power assist brakes as this was definitely not available in the previous model? This is identified by poor braking when the motor is off, and, with the ignition on, but not running, a distinctive whirring sound when the brake lever [front or rear] is engaged...
I will check on the power assist thing... but I am convinced that a very small handful of "next generation" flying bricks were produced in April of 2001, and due to the early production date, still retained a 2001 model year designation. Perhaps these were intented for people who pre-ordered, or, for the journalist community -- and received them prior to the August 2001 release of the 2002 model. Oddly, no cruise control on mine. Throttlemeister on order.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It must be a Canadian thing A.

I bought a USA 2002 in 2002 and these were dealer add on's they did not come from the factory;
Luggage rack
Bag brackets, to hold the bags on.
Bags, and they were only in black, not painted till the K1200GT model

Factory options:
The 5" rim was standard but an option for 5.5" was available from factory, w/big tire.
Suspension with White spring was standard but factory did have Sport option, yellow spring.

As I rememebr the ABS power brakes,cruise and heated grips was standard on 2002 USA models. The Euro models had different spec.

So you have a pre-production model. Very rare.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. Europe and Canada usually get the bikes before the US. Canada also got the last of the classic generation RS/GT in 2005, available in silver. These weren't available in the US. I saw a silver GT in Austin, NV a couple months ago, a rare sighting indeed.

·
Registered
636 Posts
That's a really nice looking bike in Blue. never seen a blue RS before.

Ken

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its official, my 2001 RS has all the features of the 2002, with the exception of cruise control (it was an option). It was amoung the first batch of newer body style RS's.

The colour-matched side cases were not a factory option -- the PO has them painted.

The PO also added a comfy GT seat. There's a power cord under the seat,... I wonder how hard it would be to connect it and run a heated seat?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Awesome Kurgan, thats great news - and I hope you paid for a 2001 [shape] bike and not a 2002. You probably got yourself a great deal. Enjoy your new scoot. Wish mine looked as good as yours...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
flyingkiwi said:
Awesome Kurgan, thats great news - and I hope you paid for a 2001 [shape] bike and not a 2002. You probably got yourself a great deal. Enjoy your new scoot. Wish mine looked as good as yours...
Let's just say that I didn't get a steal of a deal buying through a dealer, but I got a 60 day warranty for piece of mind, it was fully serviced (all fluids drained) and checked over, got brand new Pirelli Diablo tires, a brand new windscreen, and as you can see, its in beautiful condition with a few extras like the GT seat, wide rear tire, and colour matched luggage.

I did find one deficiency... there are scratches on the back part of the right side case...either the PO dragged it on the floor, or it fell off the bike in motion. Oh well, you can't see them with the bag mounted.

BTW, it had two recalls... fuel o-rings and fuel sensor? I dunno.

Now I need to join a few meets and get to know some of the BMW riding community!

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Price for mcc cruise is not bad - thats Aussie $ remember, and would equate to about $US650 which is probably good value for a very tidy looking unit. I also would hate to be without cruise....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How complicated would it be to install such a unit?

I might consider purchasing the mcc unit over the winter here and doing the install myself... as I keep hearing how great having electronic cruise control is.

Instructions look time consuming :wtf:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kurgan said:
How complicated would it be to install such a unit?

I might consider purchasing the mcc unit over the winter here and doing the install myself... as I keep hearing how great having electronic cruise control is.

Instructions look time consuming :wtf:
Install is not on a Beemer but might help, my understanding is that it's pretty straight forward..

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-cruise-control/

I put the Audiovox ccs100 on my Busa in about 6 or 7 hrs it works flawless/great just like a car would..
I believe the mc cruise is the same model only all plug n play with a fancy control switch making it cost 5 or 6 hundred verses the hundred I paid..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can't help on the install - I've got factory cruise....

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is interesting, I just purchased a 2002 K1200RS with power ABS brakes, cruse and heated grips, white colored springs. And I got 2001 owner manuals.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jethro said:
This is interesting, I just purchased a 2002 K1200RS with power ABS brakes, cruse and heated grips, white colored springs. And I got 2001 owner manuals.
Jethro;

I learned that Europe/Canada/S. Aftrica got the "new body work" RS's starting in 2001 -- cruise control was an option throughout the years. The US got the "new body work" RS's starting in 2002 -- cruise control was standard until 2004. You lucky guys.

Canada/Europe/S. Africa also got the last 2005 RS's, the US did not.

Since there was no change between the model years 2002-2004 (US) or 2001-2005 (Euro/Can), with the exception of colour choices and cruise control being standard or not, the owners manual printed in 2001 remains current.

It appears everyone got the standard white spring unless they "upgraded" to the sport rear shock (yellow spring), which was a bit stiffer than the standard unit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts