BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the great K12 & K13S bikes are no longer made and there is no clear BMW equal I have found something close. I bring this up even though I have two running K13S bikes and plan to time out my riding days with these. BMW has a bike that is close to the fun level of our favorite bikes, the R1250RS. A couple of my friends have bought one and they really like them. Huge torque of the shift cam engine makes these bikes plenty quick. For those who have had an opposed twin in the past it is like coming home my friend said. Relatively low, and it carries its weight low also. Larger side bags than the K bikes. Looks like a winner to me. Don't forget the maintenance cost is much cheaper also.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I agree Beecher. My mate had one and I found it very quick and comfortable. My concern though is all the electronic geegaws given BMWs’ customer service’

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well indeed it is loaded with the latest electronics. Much of which will save your ass like cornering ABS. I agree that the electronics are serious but with some work and getting up hill, they will be very useful. It's a snappy little twin that I would like in my garage. I mean really, 5 bikes!!! I'm wondering my wife's tolerance.
I have a friend who is German and works at BMW automotive, he is in the electronics division. He shares my thoughts, just because you can do it does not mean that it is a valuable addition. BMW auto went through a spit a couple of years ago when their cars became so nasty the customers could not figure out how to use the electronics. It falls to Art for Artists in my opinion. Real world is important, get people in there to test and feed back before sealing it into production.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agreed. I was fortunate enough to have a test ride whilst visiting my local dealer. Amazing engine, really picks up strong. Mid range feels as quick as an H2 (having recently ridden one of those as well). But totally lacking in character: I mean it's fast, efficient, comfortable, but just lacking a bit of soul. Regarding the electronics: the ELECTRONIC fuel cap lock refused to function on the demo bike - saving me having to put replacement petrol in after the test ride lol. I mean, that's just electronics for electronics sake. An electric fuel cap lock - camon!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is intriguing:
Great video, where was this taken at? I am also back on a K1300S after a stink on a S1000RR, my third K actually. One of the things I do miss is the dash and GPS connectivity that I had on my S1000RR that is lacking on the K1300S. Perhaps the RS would be a good switch, I believe the architecture of the frame, rake, trail, is all about the same which makes the K such a stabile ground launch cruise missile at any speed.

·
Registered
784 Posts
This is some guy in the alps somewhere. He does all sorts of videos like this on all sorts of different bikes. Very refreshing style.

·
Registered
241 Posts
For a lot less than a new R1250RS, and also because BMW has shut down production of the R1250RS, you can find decent value in a used R1200RS. No shift cam engine, but it's still pretty quick. I have a 2016 R1200RS, and I recently demo'd a R1250RT with the shift cam, and I wasn't impressed. Here's a photo of my RS, and another,
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

side by side with my K, for comparison.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
As the owner of a K1300S and an almost new R1250GSA, I can attest to the positive attributes of both engines. My previous stable included a R1150RT and a K1200S but after almost 20 years of owning the RT and 14 years of owning the the K12, I can attest to one thing; the NEED for SPEED.

My new GSA is pretty firggin peppy but when compared to the K13....well....'nuff said. This post was written PUI so take my comments for what they're worth - a grain of salt. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here is some great German footage:
No arguments about the mighty K bike. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
154 Posts
At least we got a seemingly accurate reading. I hate top speed claims based on a speedometer. If not from a GPS source, it is of questionable accuracy.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are correct, K1300S bike do not down shift with out the clutch . We are talking about new K1250RS bikes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts