BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I sold my K1200 this past summer. I bought a used K1300 with about 10K miles on it and I haven't looked back. It came with the top case (which made me very happy), but it has its own key. So, I have to carry two keys, but that isn't a big deal.

I decided that I would have the silver top case painted to match the rest of the bike and I believe it was a great decision.

Check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re-key

Thanks for the instructions to change the lock. The dealer made it seem like it was a rather costly proposition.

I'll have to give this a try.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
My dealer changed three different locks for me, and they never charged for it. I would expect a nominal fee perhaps, but not an exorbitant price. The parts person did it at the parts counter - not the service/repair people.

The link does not have all the details for getting the cylinder out of a 49 liter top case. I searched, and some links are now missing. Basically, you open the top case, leave the key in the lock, remove the little cap on the inside, poke a thin allen wrench inside the hole and find the release pin that lets you pull the cylinder out. Pay attention to the orientation of the lock pin when you remove it (for reinsertion later).

P.S. The dealer did charge me a lot of money for a spare key to my 2007 K1200GT. When I bought it new, it came with a metal key and a cheesy plastic "wallet key" that would not be very good in a real wallet, and looked like it could be used a few times in emergencies before total failure. I paid $50 to have them order a spare metal key. Keep in mind that the key has an electronic chip - the bike must be programmed to accept it. Top and side cases do not connect to the chip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts